British Speedway Forum
Col

Tigers v Aces. 01/07

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

No I wouldn't expect that of him individually  - that would be plain stupid!

The development of Anders has been a great highlight of the season btw

The situation though belittles the sport and removes any credibility it may still have

Speedway in Britain now is moving away from any true competition and bordering on the realms of WWE as 'sports entertainment ' 

The trouble is that much of the time the entertainment part is also missing......

I am with you I love speedway but to me enjoy the meeting  the riders ride for themselves no disrespect to them 

if you win you win if you lose you lose. The main thing is that you are there the next year 

• Like 1

For me, Anders Rowe's place in the Sheffield side is very dubious - even more so if riding at reserve.

Looking at the rules, supplementary rule 12.3.1 states that, once an average is obtained, riders positions in the side are determined by match average.

From today, Anders is on an average of 5.49. Bates is still on a "Rising Star" 4* figure.

I know that both are on the original 4 star list, but Rowe has an official average that not only puts him higher than Josh Bates but also higher than Justin Sedgman, who is in the Sheffield 1-5. And the rules say that once that average is obtained then that determines his position in a team.

35 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

So Andres thinks hang on I ll not pass the bloke in front of me  and I’ll keep Ipswich in the run for 4 th place  so keeping them in the hunt for the title    Get real  the kid should go out every race to win 

To true and might not be at Ipswich next year and ride for yourself as I am alright jack.

4 minutes ago, soupy said:

To true and might not be at Ipswich next year and ride for yourself as I am alright jack.

This fits in perfectly with the current speedway ethos as it is complete gibberish

7 minutes ago, soupy said:

That’s true  but what would you do in his situation  we are fans of the sport and tend to to see things differently 

30 minutes ago, Grachan said:

For me, Anders Rowe's place in the Sheffield side is very dubious - even more so if riding at reserve.

Looking at the rules, supplementary rule 12.3.1 states that, once an average is obtained, riders positions in the side are determined by match average.

From today, Anders is on an average of 5.49. Bates is still on a "Rising Star" 4* figure.

I know that both are on the original 4 star list, but Rowe has an official average that not only puts him higher than Josh Bates but also higher than Justin Sedgman, who is in the Sheffield 1-5. And the rules say that once that average is obtained then that determines his position in a team.

And this anorak style post is why speedway won’t appeal to the masses. 

Enjoyed that tonight..

Most races pretty processional but close, with enough "last ditch" efforts to make most races interesting to the end..

The Ipswich Tiger proved to be the match winner with a couple of excellent passes to prevent the Aces scoring more... 

(How do you feel about that Mr Louis?):D

The tapes exclusion for Etheridge and R Worrall falling off meant the Aces were a little bit undone by themselves, but Batch gifting them a 5-1 in heat 13 balanced it up somewhat.. 

Plenty in too, considering the 'restrictions' and pay at the gate (in cash?).;)

£36 for me and the lad to get in, £2 car park, (never bother with a prog), and circa £20 petrol (due to a huge 50 mile detour because of road closures), meant not staggering VFM but you certainly wouldn't feel short changed...

Considering the crowd size, and a local derby as such, the atmosphere was definitely 'un Poland like' and pretty flat in all honesty..

Maybe on nights like this they should have a home and away section? 

Must have easily been a good couple of hundred Aces fans there which if together (like Poland do), I am sure the atmosphere would have been ramped up several notches and given the meeting some real edge...

(Like a proper team sport if you will)....;)

And whilst on that subject....

When Anders next goes back with Ipswich does he ride for both teams?

Given his efforts tonight, it would be a real shame for the kid to knock himself out of the play offs.. :D

Edited by mikebv

40 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Rowe’s average is immaterial. Bates is an absent 4* RS, the facility (Reg 12.4.D.1) is a ‘same star rider of lower’. Rowe has a 4* RS grading. It’s unusual circumstances, which may well not have been considered when the rule was written.

A bit of a slow burner, but definitely improved, the middle few heats especially.
Rowe wins it for Sheffield with two 1 points towards the end when re-passing Brennan and one of the Worrall's.

I'd be interested to hear who the hefty contingent of Ace's fans point the finger as for the loss.  Kurtz was awful first few rides, I've seen him ride Owlerton much better, also allowed Holder to bully him to the first turn in heat 15 and both Worrall's were passed when in points scoring positions. C Wright wasn't gating, Etheridge touching tapes in heat 2 and Bewley started slowly.
For Sheffield, Batchelor isn't right, totally not interested if he doesn't gate, Howarth was entertainingly up & down. After his first ride when he went too wide trying to pass S Worrall when it was never on and it allowed C Wright to pass Ellis did as much as could be expected.  Holder was untouchable except for heat 13, when he retired after a lap - did Batchelor get in his way?  Difficult to tell from bends 3&4.  Barely noticed Sedgmen!  J Wright was on the pace but never looked like scoring.

Having now done all 3 this year, Owlerton is a better drive from North Wolverhampton than NSS & EoESg even when the closest M1 junction to Owlerton is shut south bound on the way home!  With no diversions in place.  So glad I know Worksop has an M1 junction and was sign-posted.

Edited by Col

5 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Rowe’s average is immaterial. Bates is an absent 4* RS, the facility (Reg 12.4.D.1) is a ‘same star rider of lower’. Rowe has a 4* RS grading. It’s unusual circumstances, which may well not have been considered when the rule was written.

Incompetence abounds then - not an unusual occurrence unfortunately

So many of these 'not considered when the rule was written' scenarios in recent years have been spotted and highlighted within minutes of release 

25 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

And this anorak style post is why speedway won’t appeal to the masses. 

To be fair having one of your own highest potential future stars scoring points for another team, which could ultimately end your own teams' season early, won't exactly have many of 'the masses' beating down the gates to get in either... :D

Having Anders there tonight though certainly improved the spectacle and entertainment value which is really all that matters...

And a fair proportion of British lads too in both teams which can never be a bad thing to hopefully help the sport grow...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

To be fair having one of your own highest potential future stars scoring points for another team, which could ultimately end your own teams' season early, won't exactly have many of 'the masses' beating down the gates to get in either... :D

Having Anders there tonight though certainly improved the spectacle and entertainment value which is really all that matters...

And a fair proportion of British lads too in both teams which can never be a bad thing to hopefully help the sport grow...

They’re all self employed riders, riding their butts off and risking their lives to make a living. People moan about Poland …. Well Poland has the money, because the clubs got off their backsides and looked for sponsorship and paid the riders what they’re worth. 

if you don’t want “your“ rider riding for someone else, find the money to pay him s decent wage that means he doesn’t have to. 

how many years now despite TV coverage have the powers that he failed to find a league sponsor ???

grrrr( nothing personal) …. Rant over 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Enjoyed that tonight..

Most races pretty processional but close, with enough "last ditch" efforts to make most races interesting to the end..

The Ipswich Tiger proved to be the match winner with a couple of excellent passes to prevent the Aces scoring more... 

(How do you feel about that Mr Louis?):D

The tapes exclusion for Etheridge and R Worrall falling off meant the Aces were a little bit undone by themselves, but Batch gifting them a 5-1 in heat 13 balanced it up somewhat.. 

Plenty in too, considering the 'restrictions' and pay at the gate (in cash?).;)

£36 for me and the lad to get in, £2 car park, (never bother with a prog), and circa £20 petrol (due to a huge 50 mile detour because of road closures), meant not staggering VFM but you certainly wouldn't feel short changed...

Considering the crowd size, and a local derby as such, the atmosphere was definitely 'un Poland like' and pretty flat in all honesty..

Maybe on nights like this they should have a home and away section? 

Must have easily been a good couple of hundred Aces fans there which if together (like Poland do), I am sure the atmosphere would have been ramped up several notches and given the meeting some real edge...

(Like a proper team sport if you will)....;)

And whilst on that subject....

When Anders next goes back with Ipswich does he ride for both teams?

Given his efforts tonight, it would be a real shame for the kid to knock himself out of the play offs.. :D

Hope you enjoyed the meeting tonight  I hav nt been this year due to work and to night I am in the caravan in north wales 

but to be honest I normally stand on the 3 rd  4th bend.    I will pay on the the gate  but here. S the laugh I am only small  and fear I won t be able to see  on the home straight lol

I am going to wait till the restrictions are lifted  and I can stand where I ve stood for the past  too many years  lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

They’re all self employed riders, riding their butts off and risking their lives to make a living. People moan about Poland …. Well Poland has the money, because the clubs got off their backsides and looked for sponsorship and paid the riders what they’re worth. 

if you don’t want “your“ rider riding for someone else, find the money to pay him s decent wage that means he doesn’t have to. 

how many years now despite TV coverage have the powers that he failed to find a league sponsor ???

Agree with you  the riders have to put themselves before clubs  like you say they are self employed and after to look after their own interest 

5 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

To be honest if I was a rider I would be the most frustrated of all 'stakeholders' in the sport....

They should be earning fortunes and plying their considerable talents in front of thousands every night...

'Lions led by donkeys' would be most apt ....

And good to see Adam racing over here again...

Once again tonight, easily one of the best 3 riders on show....

• Like 1