British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Endeavour

Edinburgh v Berwick

1 hour ago, SlicktrackSandy said:

Could go along with most of that.  Managed to catch it via the stream, which was pretty good I thought.  Fairly entertaining match overall and visitors not that far away from grabbing a point.  Some outstanding and surprise individual performances from Andersen and Thomsen - both showing good speed and determination.  The former looks to be an excellent signing for Berwick and once the others are all up to their usual game, he could be a trump card.

The home team's known usual weaknesses were again exposed, but the strength higher up the order helped disguise that to a degree.  Bit of a risky longer term strategy though and if play-offs are a serious target, wishful thinking may be a risky option.   Maybe the proverbial "tweak" may be necessary ?  No predictions though, as hindsight is a much safer bet.

Need to drop Lawson to be really challenging..Finding a replacement could be a problem though,but he isn’t going to come good again IMO.Bit like Bickley for Berwick ,should really be doing better from reserve position.It shows Monarchs weakness with Top end strength. There again with Thompson reserve that could be a bonus ,as he could get 7 rides from reserve and is improving.

2 hours ago, topsoil said:

So you want Aaron out. So who would be your choice as replacement?

Anyone who actively wants to ride for the club, and tries his best? Come off it he’s been absolutely garbage all season, don’t think he’s had one good performance, other than a couple times scoring 9 from 5/6 rides. Maybe Scunthorpe away. It’s teargas he’s meant to be our number 1 for crying out loud

On 7/9/2021 at 8:15 AM, Catch Me If You Can said:

Think Al Stewart has it right    It all about your initial declaration I think and if you could fit a 3 rising star in then you can use that as guest? Correct me if wrong. Think Monarchs could easily have fitted a higher rated rising star into initial team?   Also Kemp is in the list despite Edwards being listed at Eastbourne   Kemp on a 3 star    Bickly is also in the list   It on the Speedway GB web under Championship header

I just said we had a discussion about Berwick using him.

We were wondering if later on in the season when teams are looking to get into the play-offs there may be a few "tactical" decisions to get a rider who will score more points into a meeting (that's where we were headed and thought that averages would be used for riders not being used as a rising star to try and eliminate this).

On 7/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, screm said:

Probably the same interpretation that saw Berwick replace Coty Garcia with Kasper Anderson, only for him to be replaced by Coty Garcia so Berwick were able to get R/R last week. Now back in comes Anderson to replace Garcia.

I think it was Neil who covered this in another topic? My understanding (from his explanation) is that it wasn't Berwick who reverted the team back to having Coty (it was the BSPA)? As he said it was to stop teams from bringing in a rider before the averages changed (knowing the rider would miss the first meeting) to strengthen the team (possibly at the cost of the first match). If you waited until the rider could make his debut then the team average would be to high to make the change therefore making the team ineligible. 

Lets say Andersen was still available and Edinburgh wanted to replace Lawson and Kye got a new average that it makes the change impossible in a couple of weeks due to the team total average. If Edinburgh have a match and Andersen isn't available, before Kye gets his new average then they would revert back to having Lawson and would then be unable to make the proposed change due to the team average.:cheers:

Berwick could still make the change due to the rider having a lower average than the rider he was replacing and being under the points limit.

30 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Could always drop him and go back to using R/R for Coty Garcia...... :wink: :P :D

:drink:

See above.

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Anyone who actively wants to ride for the club, and tries his best? Come off it he’s been absolutely garbage all season, don’t think he’s had one good performance, other than a couple times scoring 9 from 5/6 rides. Maybe Scunthorpe away. It’s teargas he’s meant to be our number 1 for crying out loud

You want to replace a rider, fair enough that's your opinion, bit until you can come up with a replacement it's pointless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topsoil said:

You want to replace a rider, fair enough that's your opinion, bit until you can come up with a replacement it's pointless.

Is it my job to come up with replacements?:oI go home and away and have done for 20 odd year, and this is the worst team we’ve had, we just scored 32 points at home in our 3rd home defeat of the season, and none of the 3 teams will be winning the league this season… 32 points for crying out loud. If you want me to start making up a list I will, but that’s not my job, but I’m not going back until we start signing some riders who put a bit of effort and commitment in, because that was garbage

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Is it my job to come up with replacements?:oI go home and away and have done for 20 odd year, and this is the worst team we’ve had, we just scored 32 points at home in our 3rd home defeat of the season, and none of the 3 teams will be winning the league this season… 32 points for crying out loud. If you want me to start making up a list I will, but that’s not my job, but I’m not going back until we start signing some riders who put a bit of effort and commitment in, because that was garbage

If you suggest changes then yes, I would be interested in who your replacements would be. 

Just now, topsoil said:

If you suggest changes then yes, I would be interested in who your replacements would be. 

Off the top of my head, it would be worth asking Bellego, as he’s missed half his season due to injury, Huckenbeck, Kvech as he’s not had much action, same with Milik, Vissing, as the covid situation has improved, could ask Grajczonek as well, Wilson Dean is in the country recovering from an injury, should be back soon, not gunna suggest Bates, Auty and Proctor but they’re available, there’s a mountain of young Danish talent available to come in on assessed, look at Sam Jensen as an example of that, hes nowhere near some of his fellow countrymen at the same age. Then you could look at a Latvian youngster, Gusts, Matjuszonok, Ansviesulis all very good and only ride in Poland, a lot of German riders about such as Wolbert, M Riss, Hartel, Busch, Fienhage, then Oleg Michailov, a return for Thomas H Jonasson or Eklof, or Ludvig Lindgren, or a lot of Swedes, Timo Lahti, Covatti, Ivacic, Max Ruml.

Is that enough suggestions? Surely? Be able to find a couple riders in there, can always replace Bickley with Phillips or another 2 pointer to save a couple points…

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Off the top of my head, it would be worth asking Bellego, as he’s missed half his season due to injury, Huckenbeck, Kvech as he’s not had much action, same with Milik, Vissing, as the covid situation has improved, could ask Grajczonek as well, Wilson Dean is in the country recovering from an injury, should be back soon, not gunna suggest Bates, Auty and Proctor but they’re available, there’s a mountain of young Danish talent available to come in on assessed, look at Sam Jensen as an example of that, hes nowhere near some of his fellow countrymen at the same age. Then you could look at a Latvian youngster, Gusts, Matjuszonok, Ansviesulis all very good and only ride in Poland, a lot of German riders about such as Wolbert, M Riss, Hartel, Busch, Fienhage, then Oleg Michailov, a return for Thomas H Jonasson or Eklof, or Ludvig Lindgren, or a lot of Swedes, Timo Lahti, Covatti, Ivacic, Max Ruml.

Is that enough suggestions? Surely? Be able to find a couple riders in there, can always replace Bickley with Phillips or another 2 pointer to save a couple points…

Some interesting ones there. Out of those I would consider Bellego and Vissing. Don't really know the situation with Josh Grajczonek. Is Bradley Wilson Dean still injured? I feel that any young Danish rider could be a gamble. Would they come in on a 7 point average? You could find a gem, but you could also bring a young rider into a struggling team and ruin his confidence.  Milik and Lahti strike me as being out of Berwick's pay scale? How many of the Polish meetings would clash with Berwick's (genuine question because I have no idea when Polish teams ride). Do you remember Ludvig Lindgren's last meeting at Berwick?

I don't think Danny Phillips or any other two pointers would score many, if any, points in the Championship. There's a big gap between National League and Championship.

6 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Some interesting ones there. Out of those I would consider Bellego and Vissing. Don't really know the situation with Josh Grajczonek. Is Bradley Wilson Dean still injured? I feel that any young Danish rider could be a gamble. Would they come in on a 7 point average? You could find a gem, but you could also bring a young rider into a struggling team and ruin his confidence.  Milik and Lahti strike me as being out of Berwick's pay scale? How many of the Polish meetings would clash with Berwick's (genuine question because I have no idea when Polish teams ride). Do you remember Ludvig Lindgren's last meeting at Berwick?

I don't think Danny Phillips or any other two pointers would score many, if any, points in the Championship. There's a big gap between National League and Championship.

Not many really, some of them lot ride in div 2, some in div 1, would be fine for home meetings, maybe one or two friday/sundays but Polish season not got many meetings left. Young Danish riders would be 5.00’s (I think) depending on their level. Unless rules have changed since Brexit, Milik and Lahti are both on a downward spiral in terms of where they were a few years ago. I would suggest a top rider such as Bellego, Vissing, Huckenbeck, Milik, Kvech, and a young rider to come in on a 5 

Bellego is injured still I think and he was averaging a very credible 9.20 pre crash in 1 liga. 

Lahti and Milik not a chance!

Edited by Robinh88

1 minute ago, Robinh88 said:

Bellego is injured still I think and he was averaging a very credible 9.20 crash in 1 liga.

He isnt he rode in the SEC meeting at Rybnik this evening and got to the run off.

7 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Not many really, some of them lot ride in div 2, some in div 1, would be fine for home meetings, maybe one or two friday/sundays but Polish season not got many meetings left. Young Danish riders would be 5.00’s (I think) depending on their level. Unless rules have changed since Brexit, Milik and Lahti are both on a downward spiral in terms of where they were a few years ago. I would suggest a top rider such as Bellego, Vissing, Huckenbeck, Milik, Kvech, and a young rider to come in on a 5 

The first three i would agree with, worth an enquiry. Pay rates could well be an issue, especially what they are used to in Poland. And fixture clashes. Would you get any cover missing meetings?

24 minutes ago, topsoil said:

What about Batchelor? UK based and not riding abroad.

11 hours ago, emilali said:

What about Batchelor? UK based and not riding abroad.

Affordable? If so, then yes. Not sure what sort of average he would come in on.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:29 PM, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Berwick were probably worse in 2007!