British Speedway Forum
GARY POPPS

Ice Speedway 2022

On 1/17/2022 at 11:15 AM, racers and royals said:

FIM Ice Speedway World Championship 12th & 13th February 2022 – Togliatti –

Starting List

Note: “The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) considered that in the circumstances, maintaining the FIM World Championship in Togliatti (Russia) was not in contradiction with the CAS decision mainly based on the extreme circumstances of the case, in particular considering that the FIM Ice Speedway World Championship is due to start in less than two weeks and only a few weeks passed since the issuance of the CAS decision in the Arbitration WADA v. RUSADA. WADA’s position expressed therein is without prejudice to WADA’s position in respect to other FIM events scheduled to be held during the Two Years Period (i.e. 2021 and 2022) in Russia. Among the measures taken by the FIM are, the removal of the Russian national flag from the visual elements (backdrops, race jackets, TV graphics). The Russian nationality of the riders will not be mentioned. The Russian national anthem shall not be played during these events.

1 97 Ove Ledström SVEMO Sweden

2 100 Franky Zorn AMF Austria

3 50 Harald Simon AMF Austria

4 199 Martin Haarahiltunen SVEMO Sweden

5 8 Aki Ala-Riihimäki SML Finland

6 114 Dinar Valeev MFR MFR

7 919 Dmitrii Khomitsevich MFR MFR

8 212 Lukás Hutla ACCR Czech Republic

9 33 Johann Weber DMSB Germany

10 24 Max Koivula SML Finland

11 (wild card) 16 Nikita Toloknov MFR MFR

12 93 Franz Mayerbüchler DMSB Germany

13 776 Nikita Bogdanov MFR MFR

14 106 Dmitrii Koltakov MFR MFR

15 800 Jasper Iwema KNMV The Netherlands

16 911 Igor Kononov MFR MFR

17 Reserve 17 Ivan Khuzhin MFR MFR

18 Reserve 18 Igor Saidullin MFR MFR

Change at 3 Jiri Wildt rides

Edited by racers and royals

23 hours ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Simon is out for Togliatti. He can't get visa in time.

:rolleyes::t:

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Simon has had nearly a month- why isn`t that long enough ?

Me thinks that's the question nobody wants asked and/or answered. 

Edited by f-s-p

Everything set for rounds 1 and 2 of the World Championship in Togliatti this weekend- live will be through  this channel  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBuZhb543-j_pL5kW0NhmEw

Saturday 12th Feb meeting starts 12noon UK time  live updates here https://live.baansportfansite.nl/event/504/fim-ice-speedway-world-championship-final-1-togliatti.html

Sunday 13th Feb meeting starts 10am UK time live updates here  https://live.baansportfansite.nl/event/505/fim-ice-speedway-world-championship-final-2-togliatti.html

17 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Simon has had nearly a month- why isn`t that long enough ?

Simply because the Russians were giving everyone a time & date to collect Visas. As Simon drives to all his meetings, he was told that he had to collect his Visa Today (Wednesday 9/2) which wasn't enough time for him to then drive to Togliatti. It was all on the Inn Isar Racing Team Instagram over the weekend

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Conkers said:

Simply because the Russians were giving everyone a time & date to collect Visas. As Simon drives to all his meetings, he was told that he had to collect his Visa Today (Wednesday 9/2) which wasn't enough time for him to then drive to Togliatti. It was all on the Inn Isar Racing Team Instagram over the weekend

Would that be from the Embassy in Vienna ?- If the date was known in advance, why couldn`t the FIM and the Russian federation have sorted it so he could collect it earlier ?

Seems that Zorn also had issues and could only pick-up his visa today. He is on a plane to Russia now. His equipment will be driving to Togliatti by other riders. So looks like an issue with Austrian embassy.

Iwema had no issues and collected his visa last friday at the embassy in The Hague.

Hutla has already arrived in Togliatti.

Weber is practising in Kamensk today, and Mayerbuchler will fly to Russia and rent a local bike.

The Swedes & Finns are on their way.

3 minutes ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Seems that Zorn also had issues and could only pick-up his visa today. He is on a plane to Russia now. His equipment will be driving to Togliatti by other riders. So looks like an issue with Austrian embassy.

Iwema had no issues and collected his visa last friday at the embassy in The Hague.

Hutla has already arrived in Togliatti.

Weber is practising in Kamensk today, and Mayerbuchler will fly to Russia and rent a local bike.

The Swedes & Finns are on their way.

And the most important person- you ?? :)

Harald Simon will not make it to Togliatti in time and will miss the Ice Speedway GP. Franz Zorn is also angry at how preparations for the World Cup in Russia are going.

Franz Zorn is extremely upset before the Grand Prix in Togliatti. The reason for this is that the invitation from the organizer was too short and as a result the visa was received late. "I don't care whoever didn't make the organization the way it should be," fumed Anger. "In any case, it's not well organized with the invitations and visas for Russia." The Inn-Isar Racing Team, which supports Zorn's Austrian compatriot Harald Simon, announced that the man from the Waldviertel will only get his visa on Wednesday, making it almost impossible to get to Togliatti in time.

Zorn confirmed in conversation with SPEEDWEEK.com. "I will not receive my visa before Wednesday either, and that requires an express or lightning visa, which costs extra," reported the Salzburger. "I'm supposed to pay for the fact that others organize something badly. I get the visa on Wednesday, there's no chance of getting across normally by car. I have organized something for myself. I drove two races in Sweden, a driver colleague takes my equipment to Russia and I fly. »

The two races in Sweden went well for Zorn with two podiums. From there he went to Berlin, where his material was reloaded. Franky goes back to Austria and then by plane to Russia. He can only hope that his material will arrive in Togliatti: "If they say stop at the border in Russia, or my motorcycles don't come, then I'll watch a race and fly home again."

The problems are not due to a lack of lead time. Zorn: «I applied for my invitation since December after the wildcard was fixed for me. I had contacted my federation and also the Russians and have been struggling for two months to get my invitation. Whether it's the Russians or the FIM, I don't know. I have heard from others that they also received the invitation very late. It's very badly organized - and it's getting worse."

The annual problems at the Russian border add to the late invitations. "It's very badly organized for athletes and we've been talking about the federation having to do something with the government for 20 years. But apparently that's not possible," criticized Zorn. "I can't get the visa on Wednesday and then stand there with the car on Thursday, let alone contest a race. My heart aches when I see how something like this is organized

https://www.speedweek.com/eisspeedwaygp/news/187806/Franz-Zorn-klagt-Russland-Organisation-ein-Desaster.html

Line-up and draw for round 1 of the European Ice Championship in Sanok Poland on Saturday February 19th

1 IWEMA Jasper KNMV Dutch

2 SOLIANNIKOV Dmitrii MFR Russian

3 JETSONEN Mikko SML Finnish

4 SCHAAP Niek KNMV Dutch

5 ALA-RIIHIMÄKI Aki SML Finnish

6 HUTLA Lukáś ACCR Czech

7 SIMON Harald AMF Austrian

8 OLSÉN Jimmy SVEMO Swedish

9 BAUER Luca FMI German

10 MAYERBÜCHLER Franz DMSB German

11 KNAPP Michał PZM Polish

12 HENDERSON Daniel SVEMO Swedish

13 MONN Benedikt DMSB German

14 ZORN Frank AMF Austrian

15 FADEEV Vladimir MFR Russian

16 WILDT Jiři ACCR Czech

17 SAETRE Jo NMF Norwegian

18 SYSTA Rami   SML Finland

Edited by racers and royals

Further interview with Franky and the bleak future for the sport

There have always been two worlds in ice speedway, but the gap between the sport in Russia and that in Western Europe has been widening for years. While Russia has a long season and many races, especially in the junior sector, it is getting smaller in Western Europe - and not just because of official corona bans.

There are many reasons why the sport is dying, the main one being a lack of organizers. And as a result, there is a lack of riders who cannot find any starting opportunities to develop further.

«Stingagaden is gone, St. Johann is gone. What's next?" Franz Zorn asked in an interview with SPEEDWEEK.com. «And what if it's ice again in St. Johann? Even if you then want to drive a race, you have to ask yourself by now, with which riders? It's already bad that you struggle to get 16 riders together. The young Swedes no longer come in at over €2 for a liter of diesel. A trip to Austria and you'll have a thousand for the trip. Then you have to hope that the bike doesn't have any problems/damage. There are no more Swiss and only a handful of Czechs. We have Harald Simon and I, and there are only a few among the Germans."

If you look at the situation in the ice speedway in the recent past, it is noticeable that events on natural ice no longer take place for various reasons. There were races in Steingaden, St. Johann, Weißenbach and also in the Czech Republic. There were events on artificial ice in Dresden, Innsbruck, Frankfurt and Erfurt, which all disappeared again.

“There are other and many stadiums. The weather for the event in Zell was good for us, we had enough ice. But the climate won't get any better and we won't be able to avoid the artificial ice, but that's a fact," explained Zorn.

Open races for youngsters were scarce even before Corona. Apart from the races before the GP in the Netherlands and the German Championship, starting opportunities were and are virtually non-existent.

A development that worries Zorn: “We actually had a good time, it was really great. But at the moment everything is going down the drain if it keeps going like this. We've already discussed what to do in an ice rink, there's nothing cooler and harder than ice speedway. When there's ice skating, there are 100 or 200 spectators, but when there's ice speedway, the stadium is full."

https://www.speedweek.com/eisspeedway-racing/news/187890/Franz-Zorn-in-grosser-Sorge-um-den-Eisspeedway-Sport.html

• Sad 1