British Speedway Forum

Just got back to the hotel...

Buzzing...

Still amazes me that this is the same sport I watch now and again domestically when you see it in the arena of the Principality...

Decent crowd (25 to 30k maybe?) Who made loads of noise and atmosphere..

Especially on first two turns..

Having watched young Dan go from an Aces Colt to a GP winner in such a short time is incredible, and hopefully now the springboard for him to become a true GB Speedway legend  

A great day. Fan zone 100% entertainment, (well done Monster) and I am looking forward to the GP2 tomorrow...

And didnt Phil Morris get handed a proper "get out of jail free" card with Dan's victory..??? :D

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

It`s on discovery + in UK but it`s on Eurosport 2 in Poland so yes streams on the meeting spread.

I heard "just the middle tier" being open tomorrow from the MC. 

Is that all the way around, or just one stand....? 

Glad u enjoyed it but watch it again and u may think differently with the track & ur crowd figure.

Great night for Dan but a great night for British Speedway?

I've only missed attending about 4 or 5 GPs at Cardiff including this year and understand the great atmosphere but on TV to a worldwide audience the meeting itself was turdge with an embarrassing attendance.

3 minutes ago, Joseq7 said:

I heard "just the middle tier" being open tomorrow from the MC. 

Is that all the way around, or just one stand....? 

One seat

37 minutes ago, Turnip said:

Glad u enjoyed it but watch it again and u may think differently with the track & ur crowd figure.

Great night for Dan but a great night for British Speedway?

I've only missed attending about 4 or 5 GPs at Cardiff including this year and understand the great atmosphere but on TV to a worldwide audience the meeting itself was turdge with an embarrassing attendance.

Based my guesstimate on a 74,500 capacity..

About a third full I would think, similar to the first one they ran 20 years ago..

As for the racing? 

Poor wasnt it? 

But neither poor, nor great racing at a GP will bring tens of thousands more fans to the sport.. 

Enjoyed the day...

And will be back next year...

Just need another 34 degree heatwave..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Good day, apart from the heat, traffic hold-ups, and racing. :o.Fantastic win for Dan, Cumbrian, ex-Worky lad. Crowd was well down on previous years, about 30000?

Doyley 3 crashes and still reaches semis!!!

Edited by auntie doris

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Based my guesstimate on a 74,500 capacity..

About a third full I would think, similar to the first one they ran 20 years ago..

As for the racing? 

Poor wasnt it? 

But neither poor, nor great racing at a GP will bring tens of thousands more fans to the sport.. 

Enjoyed the day...

And will be back next year...

Just need another 34 degree heatwave..

So are u telling me that a smaller but FULL stadium with GREAT racing won't attract more people to the sport when showcased on TV??

Well if u were my marketing guy I'd sack u on the spot!!!!

Hey well, we all better get season tickets for the ping pong coz Sky Sports seemed to av a similar opinion to u & that's why they dropped us for the ping pong! 

5 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Good day, apart from the heat, traffic hold-ups, and racing. :o.Fantastic win for Dan, Cumbrian, ex-Worky lad. Crowd was down on previous years, about 30000?

I'd say nearer 20,000 but those like Scott Nicholls make it up for the TV & say 50,000!!!

But wotever the true figure it was embarrassing to see so few in a stadium like that.

Yes I always wonder why I call him Whoops Scotty!

Edited by Turnip

3 minutes ago, Turnip said:

So are u telling me that a smaller but FULL stadium with GREAT racing won't attract more people to the sport when showcased on TV??

Well if u were my marketing guy I'd sack u on the spot!!!!

Hey well, we all better get season tickets for the ping pong coz Sky Sports seemed to av a similar opinion to u & that's why they dropped us for the ping pong! 

The NSS has been on TV dozens of times..

Great racing almost guaranteed..

Yet offen when on TV they have rows and rows of empty seats..

And when not on TV a crowd of maybe half capacity..

And I didint see the "house full" signs anywhere after the SON last year..

UK Speedways ills run far deeper than "a great GB GP"...

It really wont make any difference as has been proven the years when they have been "quite good"..

• Like 1

Absolutely laughing my head off at the long overdue lambasting of this awful track and disgusting city.

I went once, hated it and never went back.  It's crap.  Can't believe Bewley had the brass neck to celebrate.  He must be so shallow to be pleased about winning this joke of event.

• Confused 1

Just got back and thoroughly enjoyed the whole day. Lots going on in the fans zone with all 16 riders signing autographs.

Sure the racing wasn’t great and the crowd was down, in part to a lack of Poles, not able to get over so easily due to much higher plane fares and Brexit grief. Their numbers were massively down.

Bewley bought the roof off the stadium which hasn’t been that noisy sing Chris Harris in 07. 

So many moaners on here. Perhaps they should have made the effort to attend, soak up the atmosphere and celebrate with Dan his win.

As for Belle Vue. Do me a favour! Track is good but that’s where it stops. In a crap hole area of an industrial city which can’t hold a candle to Cardiff.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, R87 said:

Absolutely laughing my head off at the long overdue lambasting of this awful track and disgusting city.

I went once, hated it and never went back.  It's crap.  Can't believe Bewley had the brass neck to celebrate.  He must be so shallow to be pleased about winning this joke of event.

Bet your fun at parties 

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, R87 said:

Yeah, weird he celebrated winning his first GP. You’d have thought he would have just left the track as soon as the final finished, and packed his bikes away. Maybe just treated himself to a little smile on the way home, if that’s not too much? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Turnip said:

The ping-pong was part of the overall package of events they got from Matchroom Sports, the darts etc. people.  Though they appear to have used Covid to quietly kill it off as it never took place this year and there is no mention on their website of it ever having happened!  But that was only a two-day event at the end of January with nothing at all to do with speedway decisions.

But Sky dropped the GPs because of a period of British failure and declining audiences, and that they won back the Saturday evening Premier League matches. This gave them three live events on Saturday evenings with a Super League match played then, the soccer at the start and end of the season or cricket in between.  So because of the audience being split and to cut costs they dropped the speedway and moved Super League to Thursday.  And as soon as they did that Woffinden became World Champion and it no longer mattered that Harris was at the back.

But I am certain that Cardiff looked a lot better on television today than had it been in Manchester and full.

I agree that a full smaller stadium looks better than a half-full big one, but there is a limit to how small they can be before they just look small. And the National Speedway Centre looks not only small, but like it is part of a leisure centre.  Just a row of trees between the track and the massive brick wall that is obviously the back of a hall would have helped.

No doubt it has a much, much better track, which is a good enough reason to argue a GP should be held there instead of Cardiff.  But, to me at least, Manchester looks so municipal that if you want to sell the event and sport to TV viewers I fear it would just say small time sport.  The third biggest covered stadium in the world (apparently) or a local sports complex.

• Like 1