British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DanTman

Speedway in GB is very different

Hi, I've been away from speedway since Rye House closed. I recently attended a few meetings at Peterborough including the play off semi and Final. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a brief catch up as to what's happened in the last 8 years or so in British speedway? Why are there only 6 teams in the top tier? Is it worth running a league with so few teams in it? 4 out of 6 teams make the play offs and could all potentially "win the league". My son who is just about to turn 16 and hadnt been since he was about 6 found that concept laughable and more than a bit ridiculous. He absolutely loved the racing though, proving that the raw product is still awesome. 

How did Poole end up back in the 2nd tier? They were the best supported team in the country! 

How did it end up that the same riders are all riding in both of the top divisions regularly?

Massive shake up needed surely?

• Haha 1

You can either read through about a million pages... or you could just make your own story up and you probably wouldn't be that far away from the truth of what has happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

You can either read through about a million pages... or you could just make your own story up and you probably wouldn't be that far away from the truth of what has happened.

Don’t feed the troll

• Like 1

No way would you pick up than many questions so quickly.

I think it’s time people just enjoyed the racing….the top league could do with 8 teams..8 would be a perfect amount ..it was 18 when I started and that would not be feasible now, 8 would be an ideal number.

The racing this year has been as good if not better than many a year, there is a lot to build on …I have no issues about doubling up ..Belle Vue have a lot of double up riders but have kept the same team all season so it doesn’t bother me riders ride for other teams ….

I would like supporters to actually start to promote the sport a bit more and actually seemingly enjoy it and it might actually encourage more to attend as most moaners seem to be people who no longer attend and others reading the comments must see them and think what’s the point of attending that….if people turn up I think they would find it’s not actually that bad and there is plenty to build on.

incidentally I am a fan from the 70s and stopped going around 1993 and have started attending regularly again this year and I have enjoyed it a lot more than I was doing back in 93….people should give it a go