British Speedway Forum
Beowulf

Wolverhampton 2022

On 3/24/2022 at 8:39 PM, Fourentee said:

CVS mentioned that there are to be no more drawn matches, at the behest of TV (apologies if this is already in the public domain; it was new to me). Drawn match to be settled by a heat 16 with the 4-3-2-0 scoring (or they could be there all night!). Wolves voted against but lost the day; Peter Adams looked particularly miffed (as the architect of the previous system) but said he bowed to a democratic majority.

I have no idea why no drawn matches isn't good for "TV"?

What's wrong with a draw?

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Nothing as far I can see, football has draws.

5 hours ago, Beowulf said:

And even some of the posh Cradley gals had them as well :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Nothing at all, for me! 

9 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I'd have personally gone

1. Sam Masters

2. Steve Worrall

3. Ryan Douglas

4. Luke Becker

5. Nick Morris

6. Drew Kemp

7. Leon Flint

8. Joe Thompson

Yep,agree with that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beowulf said:

If any sport should be getting rid of draws, it should be cricket rather than speedway!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Well I suppose it won't be long before we find out if that confidence is misplaced or not. :blink: I personally would have put Morris at 5, although he increased his average last year, I somehow felt it was a disappointing season. Time for him to step up and take responsibility and become a genuine heat leader again (if he has it in him). Becker at no 2 not being used to our best advantage I feel.

Yes, I take the points. But I also wonder if having what looks a strong pairing for the opening race is designed to ease any heat two pressure on what is a relatively inexperienced reserve pairing. As you say, we should find out soon enough! 

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

If any sport should be getting rid of draws, it should be cricket rather than speedway!

TV should not be allowed to dictate the outcome/final result of a meeting  they should only be streaming it they should not be allowed to change the rule book. Speedway is in a bad enough state at the moment without interference from outside bodies who just happen to be able to show money talks.  No wonder speedway fans are walking away from rather than to meetings.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

TV should not be allowed to dictate the outcome/final result of a meeting  they should only be streaming it they should not be allowed to change the rule book. Speedway is in a bad enough state at the moment without interference from outside bodies who just happen to be able to show money talks.  No wonder speedway fans are walking away from rather than to meetings.

Sounds like it was suggested not dictated by Eurosport.  Then voted on by the promoters who must think it's a good idea (or are frightened to go against their broadcast partner). Maybe in future supporters should just contact Eurosport with suggestions to improve the sport.

Without drawn matches does there even need to be league points? Just do the same as the NFL. Wolverhampton are 10 and 0 (wins to loses) Kings Lynn are 0 and 10. None of this pesky bonus point stuff to incentivise close matches. Indeed just end the match as soon as one team can't reach 45. Good job it doesn't apply to the Championship because some of the Diamonds matches could be quite short. I'll just give Eurosport a call......

3 minutes ago, enotian said:

Sounds like it was suggested not dictated by Eurosport.  Then voted on by the promoters who must think it's a good idea (or are frightened to go against their broadcast partner). Maybe in future supporters should just contact Eurosport with suggestions to improve the sport.

Without drawn matches does there even need to be league points? Just do the same as the NFL. Wolverhampton are 10 and 0 (wins to loses) Kings Lynn are 0 and 10. None of this pesky bonus point stuff to incentivise close matches. Indeed just end the match as soon as one team can't reach 45. Good job it doesn't apply to the Championship because some of the Diamonds matches could be quite short. I'll just give Eurosport a call......

Are they Promoters or a bunch of sheep/yes men, sounds like the later to me.  For goodness sake if they don't get a grip they won't have anything left to promote, surely some of them read this forum, I've not seen one post yet that thinks this no drawn meetings plan is a good idea.

If an away team fights through the match and ends with a draw they should get points for a draw.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

If an away team fights through the match and ends with a draw they should get points for a draw.

Keep the points system simple. Winners get 3 points, drawn meetings teams get 1 point each, nothing for a losing team.

• Like 1

Double points tac sub 2.0.

Fannying around with what works whilst ignoring what doesn't.

Pretty new website, same fundamental failings.

Edited by Wolfsbane

Agree with the views that Becker shouldn’t be at number 2. See him having the potential to make a genuine heat leader this season and I’d have had him at 3 or 4. Probably Morris the right man for number 5 to begin with although I’d like to think Douglas can make further improvement this season.

Big key to our season though is how well the two young reserves hold their own in the top division. Not difficult opposition for them in the Brummies match so hope to see them get a few points

Having Worrall & Kemp paired together twice certainly seems a weak pairing. That being said Masters & Becker are a very strong pairing. I defo wouldn't have put Worrall at 5.