British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2022

2 hours ago, Turnip said:

Would anyone know if Birmingham av ever, or any other club for that matter, actually engaged with the local community to attract more people?

When I say local community I mean the diverse cultures in & around the area?

Hardly ever see Asian, black & other similar communities at speedway. Av they been asked & are simply not interested?

I keep telling people that the younger kids in Birmingham have no interest in the speedway, there are a lot of Asians,  West Indians,  Jamaicans in Birmingham and especially around the area the speedway track is,  Aston, Witton,  Newtown,  Handsworth are just 4 locations that are highly populated with the Asians,  West Indians etc,  all 4 locations are on the doorstep of Perry Barr there is just no interest whatsoever of the younger generations,  they are into T20 cricket,  Football,  Boxing amongst other sports,  I go to Edgbaston regularly for the cricket and its full of young people,  especially the T20,  it offers great value for money,  speedway I am sorry is not value for money and that's my opinion,  so before I get shot  down remember I said its my opinion,  others may disagree, I used to love the speedway but since trying out other sports especially at the CWG even I can see its not value for money at the speedway anymore. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

I keep telling people that the younger kids in Birmingham have no interest in the speedway, there are a lot of Asians,  West Indians,  Jamaicans in Birmingham and especially around the area the speedway track is,  Aston, Witton,  Newtown,  Handsworth are just 4 locations that are highly populated with the Asians,  West Indians etc,  all 4 locations are on the doorstep of Perry Barr there is just no interest whatsoever of the younger generations,  they are into T20 cricket,  Football,  Boxing amongst other sports,  I go to Edgbaston regularly for the cricket and its full of young people,  especially the T20,  it offers great value for money,  speedway I am sorry is not value for money and that's my opinion,  so before I get shot  down remember I said its my opinion,  others may disagree, I used to love the speedway but since trying out other sports especially at the CWG even I can see its not value for money at the speedway anymore. 

Where there is no interest you create interest.

Invite local cricket, football, boxing club's and many other local organisations along to speedway covering all ages & culture's. 

Selling anything successfully is about overcoming objections which is something I had to do as part of my job for 35years.

Don't simply accept someone saying that they are not interested. 

Inviting them along free of charge is a good starting point to see if they their interest can be sparked.

Anyways how can you speak for every younger kid in Birmingham in saying they have no interest in speedway..........utter twiddle twoddle!

Edited by Turnip
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head. 

When I started watching speedway there was no T20 and many other sports were solely school based or private clubs like athletics or tennis. 

We could see world class riders every week. 

Now kids can join soccer  rugby, cricket, athletics and other sports far more easily. They can also join academies and mix with the stars. 

Brummies have tried hard with kids initiatives but on a shoestring budget and whilst some riders cooperate some don't. 

The young fans are just too remote from the action, too remote from the players and even at one of the better stadia the surrounds are tired. 

Asians and West Indians and other ethnic minorities follow sports with role models they can associate with. 

What role models in speedway do even our white Anglo saxon kids now have when the best 3 dont even race here? 

Some of the young British riders do try hard to make the effort but too many of the older ones just seem to want to get in, ride and get out ASAP. 

Not like the nights with Sam and Ronnie in the bar after the meeting at Monmore... Happy days sadly passed

1 minute ago, Turnip said:

Invite local cricket, football, boxing club's and many other local organisations along to speedway covering all ages & culture's. 

Selling anything successfully is about overcoming objections which is something I had to do as part of my job for 35years.

Inviting them along free of charge is a good starting point to see if they their interest can be sparked.

How can you speak for every younger kid in Birmingham in saying they have no interest in speedway..........utter twiddle twoddle!

Many clubs including Brummies have tried that. Very few come back once they have to pay. 

They can't have a tour and go on the centre green every week so don't come back. 

I've been at other tracks when I've seen great efforts, regular and concentrated attempts places like Somerset, Swindon, Eastbourne, Kent.. Ahem do I need to go on? 

Stadium Tours, Match Mascots, Kids Clubs, all sorts... 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Turnip said:

Anyways how can you speak for every younger kid in Birmingham in saying they have no interest in speedway..........utter twiddle twoddle!

Did I say every young kid,  I spoke of the local community that you asked about,  I answered about the local community, do you know Birmingham as an area,  do you know anything about Birmingham,  I will tell you now that Joe mclaughlin when at Brummies tried everything to recruit new fans none of it worked,  yes maybe for a meeting or two but it soon fizzled out,  I will tell you now I have taken all my eleven grandchildren to other sports and they want to go back,  took 4 of them to speedway and they said it was rubbish when I asked if they wanted to go again,  when I took them to the T20 earlier in the season they loved it. So it's not twiddle twaddle as you say,  I know the local community in Perry barr as well as anyone because of my job,  and I can tell you now in 67% of youngsters in and around Perry Barr,  sport is the last thing on their mind,  unless they can be rehabilitated,  I will say no more on that matter though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Did I say every young kid,  I spoke of the local community that you asked about,  I answered about the local community, do you know Birmingham as an area,  do you know anything about Birmingham,  I will tell you now that Joe mclaughlin when at Brummies tried everything to recruit new fans none of it worked,  yes maybe for a meeting or two but it soon fizzled out,  I will tell you now I have taken all my eleven grandchildren to other sports and they want to go back,  took 4 of them to speedway and they said it was rubbish when I asked if they wanted to go again,  when I took them to the T20 earlier in the season they loved it. So it's not twiddle twaddle as you say,  I know the local community in Perry barr as well as anyone because of my job,  and I can tell you now in 67% of youngsters in and around Perry Barr,  sport is the last thing on their mind,  unless they can be rehabilitated,  I will say no more on that matter though

No point arguing with these arrogant root vegetables. 

Poole who know everything had free kids and 10 quid to attract 2000 last night. They usually have 1500 for 18 quid. 

So they lost a few grand but according to their owner things are desperate in terms of speedway having the stadium after end of this season according to some or next according to others. 

Be better if they focused on their own problems like finding some land pdq than telling everyone else what to do. 

Joe Mc like you said worked his nuts off, as has Brian Buck and others.. Need no lessons from Poole. 

Maybe when they close Brian can help them get a new track. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HGould said:

Poole who know everything had free kids and 10 quid to attract 2000 last night. They usually have 1500 for 18 quid. 

So they lost a few grand but according to their owner things are desperate in terms of speedway having the stadium after end of this season according to some or next according to others. 

Be better if they focused on their own problems like finding some land pdq than telling everyone else what to do. 

Joe Mc like you said worked his nuts off, as has Brian Buck and others.. Need no lessons from Poole. 

Got to ask why folk find speedway boring?

Is it too many FTG races?

Is it brands of bikes no one has heard of and will never see anywhere else other speedway, grassyrack or longtrack?

Let's face it unlike 99% of other motorsports you get to see the whole race from any viewing point in the stadium so that must be a positive.

Despite £10 and kids go free offers speedway does not offer value for money.

I took my sons to stockcar racing and they saw 20 races of at least 16 laps with upwards of 20  mainly recognisable cars in each race not far off what a speedway meeting admission costs. Of course they wanted to go back.

Speedway needs a big rethink if it is going to survive. If kids don't like it we will never attract TV companies to the level we want.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Poole charged £10 on wed night and a " huge" crowd turned up ,normal price and not so many turn up, now if only someone could think i will charge £ 10 all season adjust rider costs we could be on a winner here:t:

Perhaps Poole should drop down another level and make a fortune 

6 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Got to ask why folk find speedway boring?

Is it too many FTG races?

Is it brands of bikes no one has heard of and will never see anywhere else other speedway, grassyrack or longtrack?

Let's face it unlike 99% of other motorsports you get to see the whole race from any viewing point in the stadium so that must be a positive.

Despite £10 and kids go free offers speedway does not offer value for money.

I took my sons to stockcar racing and they saw 20 races of at least 16 laps with upwards of 20  mainly recognisable cars in each race not far off what a speedway meeting admission costs. Of course they wanted to go back.

Speedway needs a big rethink if it is going to survive. If kids don't like it we will never attract TV companies to the level we want.

Great Post.. Did you know speedway is the only sport that sky sports never fought tooth and nail to keep on its schedule, that tells you a lot don't it 

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Don’t think the Poole Promotion are telling anybody how to run their Club.Just opinions on this forum.Knock then all you want but they are one of the few Clubs that crowd level are decent.They attract decent sponsors and doing things right on the track.You Promoter saying in the Star this week that it’s costing him £10,000 a fortnight,how long can that go on for.Most Championship Clubs are running that level due to the supporters propping them up.

16 hours ago, HGould said:

Tried to capture more punters from the holiday vibe or catching a few doing Cardiff & stopping down South for a few days.

A few others pointed out it was a publicity stunt to appease their council on an annual visit.

I’m thinking Glasgow Leicester and (if they run - Poole) will be faced with a lower standard or Premier elevation next season.

They are the clubs that appear to want the Championship at an unsustainable level.

Leicester?  Didn't the elite league almost wipe them out a few seasons back,  why won't Poole run? Thought they were the Manchester Utd of speedway, or was that just self claimed appraisal, Speedway is finished in the UK unless the whole system changes completely from top to bottom, we need to be a big draw again for people like  Zmarlik, Dudek,  etc,  to come over here and race. 

Edited by Gerbat1875

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Tried to capture more punters from the holiday vibe or catching a few doing Cardiff & stopping down South for a few days.

A few others pointed out it was a publicity stunt to appease their council on an annual visit.

A bit more than an annual visit if you believe the rumours that this may be their last season, although some others think 2023 will be the last season.

The effort they put in on Wednesday suggests a touch of desperation, certainly Mr Ford senior was quoted as saying "figthing for our survival".

Edited by HGould
spell

2 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Leicester?  Didn't the elite league almost wipe them out a few seasons back,  why won't Poole run? Thought they were the Manchester Utd of speedway, or was that just self claimed appraisal, Speedway is finished in the UK unless the whole system changes completely from top to bottom, we need to be a big draw again for people like  Zmarlik, Dudek,  etc,  to come over here and race. 

Sky money paid for the likes of Rickardsson Crump Adams Pedersen and they were top draw.

Those that have come after them haven’t been the same and now the money has gone we are left to discover our own riders.

UK is contracting and will continue as the sport loses its appeal. The idea that we will be able to attract GP riders (Doyle excepted) with no money is very unlikely.