British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should Laguta and Emil be kicked out of the GP Series?

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

I think we're talking about two different things.

What's happening in Ukraine is undoubtedly a war. What's happening in the sporting community is politics.

It is showing a nasty aggressor who has declared war on a country that virtually the whole world is against their dispicable action. Whether this action is by restricting banking, stopping exports to that country, closing businesses, ……or banning their sportsmen on the world scene. It’s all sending a message to Putin…..his actions are depraved and deemed not acceptable.

This war is not going to end this year, maybe Russia will win this current battle, but the people of Ukraine are not going to roll over and come under Russias control quietly, they going to continue gorilla warfare for a long time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Grachan said:

It makes no sense to me. Why ban a rider who the Russians have banned for speaking out against Vladimir Putin? How does that send any form of message to the Russian authorities?

It is effectively supporting the moves made by Russia.

I don't get it. How does this encourage Russian people to speak out against the war?

If anything it will make them less likely to.

So extrapolate this out to see why it makes sense.

All Russian sports people are banned by international sports authorities. The Russian authorities than ban them all. So all Russian sports people are therefore now allowed to compete in international events. Representing some banner but in reality representing Russia. Massive boost for Putin. "I told you they wouldn't ban our sports people".

It's like telling a fat bloke he's banned from eating pies and then giving him a pie as soon as he says he doesn't want one. As long as he pretends he's not a fat bloke, even though everyone knows he is.

• Like 4

Is Lindgren only Swede in GP's?  Can't think of another - shocking from the historical Speedway power house nation.
Except for Zmarzlik being top Pole, I'm not sure who'll be top rider from each nation ... well Dane, Brit or Aussie now.

9 hours ago, Col said:

Is Lindgren only Swede in GP's?  Can't think of another - shocking from the historical Speedway power house nation.
Except for Zmarzlik being top Pole, I'm not sure who'll be top rider from each nation ... well Dane, Brit or Aussie now.

Swedes are looking very short of top names with Lindback out and Ljung on the decline. Pontus Aspgren is clearly no 2 in current Swedish rankings, after that you've got riders like Nilsson, Thorssell, Berntzon who've been around for many years.

A lot is resting on Philip Hellstrom-Bangs for Sweden's GP future.

1 hour ago, speed29 said:

Hopefully might get America Speedway Riders in GP in the future!!!

When they qualify via the qualifying rounds….. then Yes we will.   I am sure Greg tried his hardest to push them as far as they can go, so we are where we are.

• Like 1

So Laguta has lost his Russian Licence for being critical of Putin's war and yet the west still won't let him ride under another flag. Surely if Laguta is in the spotlight being openly critical of the war it will do more damage to Putin's regime than having him sat at home in Bydgoszcz.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:37 PM, OveFundinFan said:

It is showing a nasty aggressor who has declared war on a country that virtually the whole world is against their dispicable action. Whether this action is by restricting banking, stopping exports to that country, closing businesses, ……or banning their sportsmen on the world scene. It’s all sending a message to Putin…..his actions are depraved and deemed not acceptable.

This war is not going to end this year, maybe Russia will win this current battle, but the people of Ukraine are not going to roll over and come under Russias control quietly, they going to continue gorilla warfare for a long time.

Those gorillas are a tough bunch.

2 hours ago, eric i said:

So Laguta has lost his Russian Licence for being critical of Putin's war and yet the west still won't let him ride under another flag. Surely if Laguta is in the spotlight being openly critical of the war it will do more damage to Putin's regime than having him sat at home in Bydgoszcz.

Did Laguta really mean it though what he said or was he  just saying it to save his riding career

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dornier said:

Did Laguta really mean it though what he said or was he  just saying it to save his riding career

Well he didn't succeed with that, and now will be a target of the Russian regime. 

I think it's quite dangerous for high(ish) profile people to speak out against the Putin regime, and I think would not have been done lightly. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 7:07 AM, Col said:

Not without precedent. In the early-mid 80s they only had Jan Andersson.  England had only Harris for a few years. USA have noone. NZ have had noone of world class for close to 35 years. Australia had noone in the late 80s after Crump retired. The Poles had noone for over a decade until Gollob emerged. It happens

• Like 1

its great to know all the riders have stood by their fellow riders including current world champion,  and have all refused to ride in this years championship. :D, ohh hang on we dont live in reality anymore., its now the snowflake society, of just do as your told. 

2 hours ago, DazS said:

its great to know all the riders have stood by their fellow riders including current world champion,  and have all refused to ride in this years championship. :D, ohh hang on we dont live in reality anymore., its now the snowflake society, of just do as your told. 

Right. Like all the riders boycott the world champs in the 81 when PC wasnt allowed to participate, or 84 with Lee... its all because of snowflake society....

10 hours ago, DazS said:

It's the snowflakes that want Laguta & Sayfutdinov to remain. 

Now having both in the series could become dangerous for the other competitor's (in all sports) as assassinations from Spies could happen. 

Any Russian against the Russian operations are being required by Nationalist's to get called out & are being "dealt with" accordingly.

• Like 1