British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Redcar Tyne Tees Trophy 2nd leg 10th April 2022 4pm

28 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one I'm afraid. In any sport going from amateur to professional has to be a big jump, and if you can't make it then NDL is your level. 

The NDL as was 4 years ago was it's best level. Revert back to that would be my suggestion

with what teams?

8 minutes ago, enotian said:

with what teams?

As I've said earlier, Birmingham and Newcastle imo should be in it. Eastbourne and Workington next season. IOW should have been busting a gut to get back in. That gives you 7, add 1 or 2 reserve sides then you have a proper league

43 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

As I've said earlier, Birmingham and Newcastle imo should be in it. Eastbourne and Workington next season. IOW should have been busting a gut to get back in. That gives you 7, add 1 or 2 reserve sides then you have a proper league

Not enough fixtures for Newcastle and I suspect Birmingham and Newcastle would struggle to attract fans for a perceived 3rd tier league. Is why they binned the Gems last season even though the Diamonds were hopeless.

Plus you've reduced the CL to nine teams. It all becomes rather pointless.

Realistically I don't think Scunthorpe can compete at CL level, unsure on Berwick (under the limit) . Don't think Redcar or Edinburgh or Plymouth have mega rich owners but seem to be well run clubs and would probably welcome some cost control. Especially if rising inflation means you either increase ticket prices and loose even more supporters or retain prices and loose money.

All the evidence is out there. You can ignore it as the promoters seem to be doing or you can do something about it and build a structure that produces a value for money product which doesn't rely on wealthy individuals subsidising it.  There's just not that many of them about. 

As I've posted elsewhere it's not even that big a thrill to win. Most of the remaining supporters would pop a hip out if they celebrated too much.

It needs a sustainable structure with affordable pricing to attract a younger audience. Younger riders could play a massive part in that with their use of social media. The base product can still be thrilling if it's competitive and the race track is conducive to great racing but too many times it isn't.

1 minute ago, enotian said:

Not enough fixtures for Newcastle and I suspect Birmingham and Newcastle would struggle to attract fans for a perceived 3rd tier league. Is why they binned the Gems last season even though the Diamonds were hopeless.

Plus you've reduced the CL to nine teams. It all becomes rather pointless.

Realistically I don't think Scunthorpe can compete at CL level, unsure on Berwick (under the limit) . Don't think Redcar or Edinburgh or Plymouth have mega rich owners but seem to be well run clubs and would probably welcome some cost control. Especially if rising inflation means you either increase ticket prices and loose even more supporters or retain prices and loose money.

All the evidence is out there. You can ignore it as the promoters seem to be doing or you can do something about it and build a structure that produces a value for money product which doesn't rely on wealthy individuals subsidising it.  There's just not that many of them about. 

As I've posted elsewhere it's not even that big a thrill to win. Most of the remaining supporters would pop a hip out if they celebrated too much.

It needs a sustainable structure with affordable pricing to attract a younger audience. Younger riders could play a massive part in that with their use of social media. The base product can still be thrilling if it's competitive and the race track is conducive to great racing but too many times it isn't.

You've got your views I've got mine. We've discussed them fairly and with respect how it should be :t:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jaizer said:

It's extremely doubtful  Eastbourne will be looking to run third tier speedway next season.

1 hour ago, M.D said:

It's extremely doubtful  Eastbourne will be looking to run third tier speedway next season.

I think generally it was if the NL was as it was in 2018, that level was good and sustainable and helped by Eastie being successful. At current levels as you say think it doughtful one would hope.

1 hour ago, M.D said:

Not at the level it is now no, that's what I'm saying if was anyway decent then maybe they would as seemed popular before