British Speedway Forum
justathought

Newcastle v Leicester 12th June 2022

6 minutes ago, ScottyJ said:

It's a shame for the diamonds fans as it doesn't look like there is much hope . I expect newcastle not to run next year .

lets hope they see the season out, they must be losing £££. I feel for them, its a canny stadium which, if it wasn't operating, people would be clamouring for it to open. TBH its time for the league to pull together and somehow make sure the talent is shared - Poole can't play Glasgow or Leicester every week

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ch958 said:

lets hope they see the season out, they must be losing £££. I feel for them, its a canny stadium which, if it wasn't operating, people would be clamouring for it to open. TBH its time for the league to pull together and somehow make sure the talent is shared - Poole can't play Glasgow or Leicester every week

I have no idea how you spread the talent. Only way I think of is reducing the points allowance in the championship teams so some teams only ride with 2 heat leaders which frees one up for other teams. It would encourage more teams to use younger British talent at the tail end.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Was thinking the same. Complin only rides the outside line, wrong track for him. 
Wells was naive for a rider of his experience. Waved Howarth through 

Complin is experienced enough to think oh I'll try the inside for a lap or two and put pressure on Edwards see if he makes a mistake but he never.

Wells has looked very tentative so far.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScottyJ said:

I have no idea how you spread the talent. Only way I think of is reducing the points allowance in the championship teams so some teams only ride with 2 heat leaders which frees one up for other teams. It would encourage more teams to use younger British talent at the tail end.

hopefully, we can't go on like this. This was once a 1st division club with big crowds, tragic whats happening

This is painful to watch.

The team is simply not upto standard.  The only thing we (i.e. Newcastle Supporters) have to look forward to is long, wooden and spoon shaped.

33 minutes ago, ch958 said:

Trouble is the talent want paid the going rate,which is obvious Newcastle can’t afford.They had 6 months to build aTeam same as the rest of the league.

I would rather not have a club at all if I had to watch this every week.

Any Newcastle fans feel like that now?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ch958 said:

29 minutes ago, ScottyJ said:

There's only so much you can manufacture, you can't keep propping up  bad business. Newcastle have a decent track, decent supporters, but they put together a pretty awful side. Who they employ is up to them, unfortunately only Paul Starke and Matty Wethers you would want in the trenches with you. Wrighty was always going to go well at reserve last year, he's a quality rider at that level, but in the main body, he's never going to return much. BWD was always a desperate signing, Clegg has always been a jumper and refuses to cut that habit out of his game, Complin is putting the effort in, but can't make a start. Jack Smith admitted on air that his entire speedway apprenticeship has been at tracks where no skill is required. What a sensible decision that was.

All the teams this year had the same opportunity to sign the same riders. You can't have equality of outcome. Only equality of opportunity

50 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Everyone knows there isn't really an outside line at Newcastle now so what does Complin do spends 4 laps trying the outside, then Wells left a gap as big as the grand canyon in heat 4, do riders actually watch what is happening between races?

Was thinking the same. Complin only rides the outside line, wrong track for him. 
Wells was naive for a rider of his experience. Waved Howarth through 

Home riders look like they’ve never seen the track before. Clegg slowed down and waved Edwards through. Shocking 

Pretty much painful to see a team with so much history to be so dreadful the last couple of seasons 

I'm sure in he who they trusted years ago is probably watching on again on another holiday.! 

Was watching on Bsn but it just embarrassing have turned off now, I have never seen a diamonds team put up as little fight,as it currently stand the lions reserves are paid for something like 18 points to newcastles 1 even the guests are not doing it which you can’t blame them, absolute disgrace and if something is not done you may as well shut the doors as they can’t be making any money 

Crowd about to erupt like a volcano going by the Updates.

Grant is a disgrace to Speedway. This is all on him for mickey taking.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Trouble is the talent want paid the going rate,which is obvious Newcastle can’t afford.They had 6 months to build aTeam same as the rest of the league.

If there are more heatleaders available than team places those going rates suddenly reduce if a rider wants a team place. Simple economics.  Obviously they won't ride to make a loss but will have more realistic terms or sit on the side lines and wait for a better paid opportunity. The top riders will go to the better teams on better terms which is fair but they wouldn't be able to sign three of them when there are only about 12 available across 11 teams. Fair enough if Newcastle then didn't offer sufficient terms they'd deserve the criticism but the question nobody can answer is who else were Newcastle supposed to sign when everyone else was offering better terms for the limited number of heat leaders available.