British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MassMarauder

Phil Crump 1973

I know that Phil Crump appeared for the Stars in Spring Gold Cup matches in March & April 1973 and one BL match up until April 7th when he scored 7 from 4 vs Leicester in the Border Trophy. Then from April 9th for the rest of the season the Stars used Rider Replacement for him at #3 in the lineup - except a few home meetings when they obviously felt they could win without R/R and called in a reserve.  There is no year book for 1973 and I didn't start following the Stars until Sept 1 1973 - so don't know the back story.  Did he get hurt somewhere or what ?

Can’t remember the exact details, but yes he got injured very early on. Maybe during the Spring Gold Cup meetings

Hmm.. Well he didn't get injured on April 7th (he had 4 rides winning his last ride)  and suddenly didn't appear on April 9th.  Maybe he got hurt riding in Europe or in an individual meeting on April 8th somewhere....I checked the records - and he had no Falls in any KL matches in 1973 up to April 7th...

• Like 1

Good. Saved me looking through my programmes 

I remember seeing him early on at Plough Lane and the next time Lynn came, which was also quite early he was missing

That's brilliant (not for him)... thanks for clearing that mystery (to me) up. 

7 hours ago, BL65 said:

He broke his wrist when changing a car tyre.  

I was sure it was a wrist injury, but I couldn't remember how he did it...

10 hours ago, BL65 said:

He broke his wrist when changing a car tyre.  

He should have called the AA to do it.