British Speedway Forum

In 2020, as we had no league racing, me my racing buddy went to several British Youth Championship meetings. And we both agreed that consistently the 250 class was the most enjoyable and exciting to watch. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, False dawn said:

In 2020, as we had no league racing, me my racing buddy went to several British Youth Championship meetings. And we both agreed that consistently the 250 class was the most enjoyable and exciting to watch. 

They were, but that was largely down to the fact that Luke Harrison and Max James were so evenly matched.

11 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I dont want to see top seniors on those 250cc bikes, I want to see them on 500cc 2 valve JAWAs

but 250cc engines already exist... do 500cc 2 valve Jawa's? I don't know

34 minutes ago, iainb said:

Maybe with the downward economic trend being worldwide, many companies will need to cut their sponsorship budget, meaning riders and organisers will need to cut costs. Stick everyone on engines cheaper buy, to maintain, yet still produce good racing (and 2 valve JAWA did in the late 60's/early 70's) has to be considered seriously. JAWA will still have all manufacturing equipment facilities to run off an initial batch of 50 or 100 units to be tested in competition.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

2 valve Jawas are used in ice racing, so they do exist 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MARK246 said:

2 valve Jawas are used in ice racing, so they do exist 

Are they actually the same engine? Ice engine looked different when I saw some televised racing during last winter.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, OveFundinFan said:

Are they actually the same engine? Ice engine looked different when I saw some televised racing during last winter.

The cylinder head is a different shape due to the valves being larger. There are both laydown and upright engines, using the same crank cases as the four valve Jawa version. One of the two valve iceracing engines was being used in an upright grasstrack class quite recently. The laydown engines are not as popular in iceracing, but they will fit directly into the frames that are currently used in speedway 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, OveFundinFan said:

In 2019 the Isle of Wight speedway club ran a two valve challenge meeting, using laydown two valve Jawas

• Like 1