British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Get back to planet earth. The only part of your post that is relevant is if only. No offence meant, but that isn't possible.

It's not beyond the the realms of possibility, but could be way outside the laws of probability?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

It's not beyond the the realms of possibility, but could be way outside the laws of probability?

Got to dream and have hope… Probably won’t happen but who knows further down the line.

Teams like Redcar have shown it can be done. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Got to dream and have hope… Probably won’t happen but who knows further down the line.

Teams like Redcar have shown it can be done. 

'Ambition is Critical',,, would be great to see speedway back, but IMO,,, as a city centre sport in Newcastle, its not looking good. If a new site/track is required, it needs a 'driver' to get it there.

Pulling folk together is gonna be a big hurdle, (previous folk have tried),,, 

If someone can generate the momentum, al be in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

'Ambition is Critical',,, would be great to see speedway back, but IMO,,, as a city centre sport in Newcastle, its not looking good. If a new site/track is required, it needs a 'driver' to get it there.

Pulling folk together is gonna be a big hurdle, (previous folk have tried),,, 

If someone can generate the momentum, al be in. 

If only someone hadn’t annoyed THJ!

2 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Oh... thought a heard me name mentioned...

Haha.. Hopefully the driver has arrived.

THJ at the wheel? 

5 hours ago, StevePark said:

Or, buy Brough Park!!!

Surely if your going to start over you can do better than there 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Haha.. Hopefully the driver has arrived.

THJ at the wheel? 

Actually sitting in the throne room and forgot me usual reading material so thought ad see what was happening on here an I was reading the last post by Ruff when yours dropped in... lol

• Haha 1

Much as I would like to, I can't see a supporters' consortium having the expertise (no offence intended, I include myself here), the time or the money to set up a track or take a lease at Brough Park, were one to be available. Also, the scope for disagreement would be endless*

My thoughts are that it might be worth thinking about the possibility a third-tier team along the lines of what the late Nigel Pearson was instrumental in setting up whereby  a team ran at Wolves and Birmingham under the Cradley Heath name. 

I don't know if there are free dates at the STMP/Arena to allow a league programme or whether there would be any support for such an idea anyway.

TG

* eg Bartosz or Tai at #1

30 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Much as I would like to, I can't see a supporters' consortium having the expertise (no offence intended, I include myself here), the time or the money to set up a track or take a lease at Brough Park, were one to be available. Also, the scope for disagreement would be endless*

My thoughts are that it might be worth thinking about the possibility a third-tier team along the lines of what the late Nigel Pearson was instrumental in setting up whereby  a team ran at Wolves and Birmingham under the Cradley Heath name. 

I don't know if there are free dates at the STMP/Arena to allow a league programme or whether there would be any support for such an idea anyway.

TG

* eg Bartosz or Tai at #1

I could be wrong, but didn't the BSPL put a stop to teams being named, but not riding in their place names (e.g Cradley at Wolves)? So, if that is the case Newcastle couldn't be called Newcastle and ride at Redcar (or Berwick etc).

My "buy Brough Park" was made slightly with tongue in cheek.  It's an option, but highly unlikely to be feasible, sadly.  I've been confused for a while regarding plots of land, only because some say there are places available, but some seem to think otherwise, so not sure if there is anywhere to build a track that would suit.

Edited by StevePark

Thanks Steve, I do have dim memories of this, and I'm sure you're right. That said I'm not sure that rule would stick now, in the present climate... and weren't Poole allowed to run an NL team under the Bournemouth name? 

I wouldn't be precious about a name, anyway. The name (say) North East Diamonds and the white on black diamond body colour would do for me.

Edited by Terrace Grumbler
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, proud panther said:

Get back to planet earth. The only part of your post that is relevant is if only. No offence meant, but that isn't possible.

Why is it not possible? Football clubs have been financed and run by fans before. And speedway costs are nowhere near what it would cost to own a football club. Let's say 100 fans investing £1,000 each. That's £100,000 which is a start. I never said anything about buying a stadium. One could be leased and adapted into a speedway venue or a new site could be bought and the basic necessities could be added piece-meal. Then there's sports grants from councils/govt etc. The least we could be doing is looking into it instead of just saying it can't be done. 

Edited by Nickinho
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickinho said:

Why is it not possible? Football clubs have been financed and run by fans before. And speedway costs are nowhere near what it would cost to own a football club. Let's say 100 fans investing £1,000 each. That's £100,000 which is a start. I never said anything about buying a stadium. One could be leased and adapted into a speedway venue or a new site could be bought and the basic necessities could be added piece-meal. Then there's sports grants from councils/govt etc. The least we could be doing is looking into it instead of just saying it can't be done. 

No chance of 100 people putting up £1000 anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

No chance of 100 people putting up £1000 anywhere.

Especially not in this economic climate. You wouldn't mind in the good times to support a hobby/passion, but you'd have close to zero chance of ever seeing a grand again.

• Like 1