British Speedway Forum

20 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Yes but he didn't do a good job did he ?  He has very good at selling burgers/chips but, with his restricted investment in the team, even his food income dwindled dramatically and the usual queues quickly disappeared. Took us for mugs and both years he thought we would support any crap that he put on the track for the Diamonds. Now lords it big at Berwick wearing his Diamonds jacket. Oh the irony.     

I would say he didn't do the best of jobs (I would say he was stitched up by the previous owners as well).

Would probably have been given wrong finance figures from them (due to not bothering to pay the VAT).

Also losing sponsorship and season ticket money wouldn't have helped.

Did this hinder the team Newcastle put out?

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well maybe someone else needs too/should've took the bull by the horns?

(Pardon the pun). ;)

Personally am inclined to agree with Ghosty.

The trouble was Granty wanted to do it his way or no way and would not take any help apart from the begging bowl

• Like 2

Steve, is it not in the rules now after Terry Stone opened Newport Speedway on his own and things

were left in a mess when died suddenly, to safe guard this happening again, there must now be at

least one other promoter who holds a Promoters Iicence named as Joint Promoter.

This ensures that if something happens to one of them, there is always a backup Promoter to

carry on with general running of the club..

Edited by scampispeedway
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scampispeedway said:

Steve, is it not in the rules now after Terry Stone opened Newport Speedway on his own and things

were left in a mess when died suddenly, to safe guard this happening again, there must now be at

least one other promoter who holds a Promoters Iicence named as Joint Promoter.

This ensures that if something happens to one of them, there is always a backup Promoter to

carry on with general running of the club..

I'm assuming this is for me (!), so here goes.  Yes you are correct, you must have two promoters, in case something happens to one of them, so that the Tim Stone scenario didn't happen again.

Granty had to have an experienced promoter alongside him when he took over and Dave Tattum came on board.  When Dave became ill, I believe Neil Machin stepped in to help Rob out in that respect (but I could be wrong on this).  Of course he (RG) later added Steve Pate and Dave Tinning to the promotion.

22 hours ago, StevePark said:

I'm assuming this is for me (!), so here goes.  Yes you are correct, you must have two promoters, in case something happens to one of them, so that the Tim Stone scenario didn't happen again.

Granty had to have an experienced promoter alongside him when he took over and Dave Tattum came on board.  When Dave became ill, I believe Neil Machin stepped in to help Rob out in that respect (but I could be wrong on this).  Of course he (RG) later added Steve Pate and Dave Tinning to the promotion.

Was that just on paper to make it easier for him, and are you sure they both went through the required interview and investigation for new appointees. ? 

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Was that just on paper to make it easier for him, and are you sure they both went through the required interview and investigation for new appointees. ? 

Bliddy Hell Dave, its not flippin crimewatch!!! ;)

4 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

It speedway Promoters though.

StevePark, my original reply did include your full name and I'm sorry about deleting your surname,

I did make another mistake in calling Tim Stone Terry but I was thinking without checking about

the former Rayleigh Rider who was riding when I started watching speedway in the 60's

15 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

I know, but they are the rules of speedway and Grant will have had to follow the rules. 

18 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It speedway Promoters though.

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I know, but they are the rules of speedway and Grant will have had to follow the rules. 

Hmmm,,, could be something in there?

'Rules is Rules' a suppose? ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

40 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

ALL prospective Promoters have to go through the interview process and I'm pretty sure that both Steve and Dave went through the same process as everyone else who wanted to become a promoter, but, I'm sure you are well aware of this anyway.

Edited by StevePark

Just now, StevePark said:

ALL prospective Promoters have to go through the interview process and I'm pretty sure that both Steve and Dave went through the same process as everyone else who wanted to become a promoter, but, I'm sure were are well aware of this anyway.

Yes but I never knew or heard if they had or not. 

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Debatable 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Yes but I never knew or heard if they had or not. 

Am sure know about the 'inner circle' Dave,,, maybe you were put in the 'ever decreasing circles' section? :t:

21 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Am sure know about the 'inner circle' Dave,,, maybe you were put in the 'ever decreasing circles' section? :t:

I was never in it when and after Grant bought the club. We never spoke and youth training was never discussed hence why we almost  lost the will to encourage the youngsters. He certainly left a legacy though.

Edited by Tsunami