British Speedway Forum

Peterborough Panthers 2023

Flappy

54 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The relevance is the principle asset Buster has to sell is the licence to run speedway. The value of that asset could be wiped out at a stroke should the BSPL decide.

If Chapman puts too high a valuation on the licence and MT turns round to the BSPL and says I can run, I have a lease and a team lined up, but I need you to grant me a fresh licence at a lower cost what happens?

Do the BSPL stand by their old mate and let Peterborough speedway die or do they cancel Chapman's licence and grant MT a fresh one, making Chapman's asset worthless at a stroke.

The latter is an interesting point, other than insolvency has a licence ever been cancelled?

27 minutes ago, noaksey said:

The latter is an interesting point, other than insolvency has a licence ever been cancelled?

There were certainly some teams expelled from the league (not necessarily the same as having a licence cancelled) in the 1980s for poor tracks/under strength teams. Barrow, Berwick nomads, Milton Keynes, Glasgow at Workington.

All from the 1980s NL when it was run almost independently of the British League (and regarded in some circles as the best run set up in speedway).

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

The relevance is the principle asset Buster has to sell is the licence to run speedway. The value of that asset could be wiped out at a stroke should the BSPL decide.

If Chapman puts too high a valuation on the licence and MT turns round to the BSPL and says I can run, I have a lease and a team lined up, but I need you to grant me a fresh licence at a lower cost what happens?

Do the BSPL stand by their old mate and let Peterborough speedway die or do they cancel Chapman's licence and grant MT a fresh one, making Chapman's asset worthless at a stroke.

I must say seeing how the BSPL dealt with the kent & nora situation I would not be confident in saying they would act with the best interests of the sport and cancel chapmans license and give on to MT. I hope I’m wrong but they sure do make some funny decisions.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gasser90 said:

He does still want it but he can only buy it for the price that buster is asking for. 
trouble is buster is in dreamworld when it comes to evaluation of the club, like we are talking close to 6 figures !  Any sensible businessman could see that pboro speedway limited is not worth anywhere near that 

Does Chapman's price vary according to who the interested party is? But surely he's not so deluded as to think there could be others interested in buying?

On 7/7/2023 at 1:01 PM, Bald Bloke said:

Hopefully for you MT will buy the club at the end of the season. Buster must of had a gut full at both clubs this season, and want out more than ever..

You reap what you so sow and he hasn't sown enough, or what he has sown has been poor decision making, as results and lack of success indicates. Can't speak for Lynn but if he's had a gutfull of Peterborough then the blame lies with him. He's the owner and the poor product comes from the top. Hopefully his final act isn't to drag the club down further with him but the clock is ticking and he needs to make a definitive statement or hand over to someone who can fight for the club and take it forward, hopefully at the EoES which will be available for use, IMO, for at least another 3 years. 

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

There were certainly some teams expelled from the league (not necessarily the same as having a licence cancelled) in the 1980s for poor tracks/under strength teams. Barrow, Berwick nomads, Milton Keynes, Glasgow at Workington.

All from the 1980s NL when it was run almost independently of the British League (and regarded in some circles as the best run set up in speedway).

you for got Boston in 87, they were definitely understrength, i rode at no. 1 at one point.:rofl: 

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

In 1981 the Bandits were  homeless and carried on riding home fixtures at Barrow, Workington and Glasgow before being forced to quit NL racing after a protest from Edinburgh boss Mike Parker. The Bandits were, however, allowed to defend their KO Cup, reaching the final against Edinburgh, which the Monarchs won.

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Now who's being thick Rathbone was the one who sold it to Chapman !!!! ,

He also said if no one came in to buy it , the Panthers would of still run in the championship that year

Absolutely did and also stated that his reason for putting the club up for sale were not financial but purely that he could not devote so much time to he club, especially with the commute between Redcar and Peterborough 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pitch said:

This

One of the most sensible messages on here, let's support the Panthers Speedway through these difficult times (for current & Potential new owners, & supporters) for now. Then hopefully look forward to a better year next year & beyond. 

I'm not giving Peterborough speedway another penny of my hard earned cash while Chapmsn is in charge!!

22 minutes ago, pleasureboy60 said:

I'm not giving Peterborough speedway another penny of my hard earned cash while Chapmsn is in charge!!

Whilst I do understand your sentiment, I worry that if the crowds are terrible who would want to take it over.

54 minutes ago, Pitch said:

Whilst I do understand your sentiment, I worry that if the crowds are terrible who would want to take it over.

That's not much of an argument though is it. Considering what's been served up under Chapman I think that the crowd has held up well. Traditionally when a losing team is served up at the EoES the crowds fall off a cliff, but we seem to have a more resilient fan base these days but even their patience is being tested now. I'm sure that anyone interested would be aware of that fact or educated about the reality of the situation.

23 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

That's not much of an argument though is it. Considering what's been served up under Chapman I think that the crowd has held up well. Traditionally when a losing team is served up at the EoES the crowds fall off a cliff, but we seem to have a more resilient fan base these days but even their patience is being tested now. I'm sure that anyone interested would be aware of that fact or educated about the reality of the situation.

I've never not gone to home meetings but this season I've stopped going since we became non competitive and I'm not going back until they show me they want to win...

9 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Sorry you thought it was an argument. It was merely a point of view.

Worrying comments by Chris Louis on Twitter. The sport needs to remove people like Buster Chapman from it if it has a chance of a future. A comment like that backing up one of the cartel shows why the sport is in the s*it.

The BSPA have been very kind to him as Chapman was more than happy to close down Rye House after a couple of difficult months.

Zero sympathy for the bloke & nice to see a bit of karma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Worrying comments by Chris Louis on Twitter. The sport needs to remove people like Buster Chapman from it if it has a chance of a future. A comment like that backing up one of the cartel shows why the sport is in the s*it.

The BSPA have been very kind to him as Chapman was more than happy to close down Rye House after a couple of difficult months.

If Chris Louis has said that about a fellow promoter, no matter who he/she is, he needs to be severely reprimanded by the SCB/BSPL in public, and have his promoting licence taken away.  

That is way out of order, and he should know better.   

3 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

If Chris Louis has said that about a fellow promoter, no matter who he/she is, he needs to be severely reprimanded by the SCB/BSPL in public, and have his promoting licence taken away.  

Celine Dion

4 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Chris Louis hasn't said that, the forum Chris has. Louis was defending Buster on Twitter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris said:

How on earth can a club remain open when it hasn't paid it's insurance, medical fees, riders, rent and so much more? Some for months.

• Like 2