British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

Just now, Crump99 said:

Perhaps Chapman could explain why a year go says here at 1.01 www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1285189478916248 that there is a few more years here yet but has seemingly publically done bugger all season to show that he's making an effort to save us and give us those seasons. The message at the start of the season has been that we're done for, added to that there was no explanation of why the Tomlin deal went down. The the final nail tonight though was when he sounded like the AEPG press officer.

I agree with you. Nothing has been explained satisfactorily. 

• Like 2

Currently Buster has nothing to sell and any potential buyer has nothing to buy, that has been the case all season, even the air fence needs replacing after this season. If a 2-3 year lease could be negotiated then that puts things into a different perspective, Buster could sell (or carry on), a buyer could buy and 2-3 years could be spent securing land and building a new track and facilities which according to the local plan the developers will have to pay for. With the best will in the world, nothing will be built where the track is for a long time. If AEPG would agree to 2-3 years it would get them much positive PR and everyone would (sort of) be happy (except the local residents, of which I am one).  At the moment AEPG are getting pelters and it is only going to get a lot lot worse for them. AEPG say they aren’t bothered by the local outrage, but they definitely are, they are not liking the non stop criticism and watching objections filed every day with not one single positive comment. They have misjudged Peterborough people big time and it’s moving towards a watershed moment for Peterborough City Council.

• Like 6

The next Ask The Leader session with Cllr Wayne Fitzgerald will be held on 26 September. The last session featured questions on healthy eating, roadworks, and new bridges. Email your question to Cllr Fitzgerald by 20 September at asktheleader@peterborough.gov.uk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TTT said:

Whole league is on the verge of collapse unfortunately.

Clubs should've bought their stadiums during the old SkySports Elite League Days, Missed the boat on that and now year by year clubs will bow out until their only 4 or 5 teams left in the country.

Which is one of the reasons Buster bought his stadium

10 hours ago, yaxley panther said:

The only time we have heard of the guy in recent weeks , we will wait to hear of an official statement maybe the showground owners just want us out   

Correct

7 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

Currently Buster has nothing to sell and any potential buyer has nothing to buy, that has been the case all season, even the air fence needs replacing after this season. If a 2-3 year lease could be negotiated then that puts things into a different perspective, Buster could sell (or carry on), a buyer could buy and 2-3 years could be spent securing land and building a new track and facilities which according to the local plan the developers will have to pay for. With the best will in the world, nothing will be built where the track is for a long time. If AEPG would agree to 2-3 years it would get them much positive PR and everyone would (sort of) be happy (except the local residents, of which I am one).  At the moment AEPG are getting pelters and it is only going to get a lot lot worse for them. AEPG say they aren’t bothered by the local outrage, but they definitely are, they are not liking the non stop criticism and watching objections filed every day with not one single positive comment. They have misjudged Peterborough people big time and it’s moving towards a watershed moment for Peterborough City Council.

I think you are right Mick. Air fences don’t come cheap I suspect, and then of course there is the BSPL bond that would need to be paid. Even if Buster was to sell ‘Peterborough Speedway’ for a pittance, the startup costs for any purchaser would run into many, many Thousands I would expect, without even considering signing riders

Edited by rusky

8 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Mick Bratley wouldn't be wasting his time if he didn't know what was going on. He certainly doesn't p*** in the wind.

Cynical I know but you don't think that Buster isn't to fussed about trying to keep Peterborough speedway going as it might just get one or two extra along to his beloved Kings Lynn from Peterborough. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, screm said:

Cynical I know but you don't think that Buster isn't to fussed about trying to keep Peterborough speedway going as it might just get one or two extra along to his beloved Kings Lynn from Peterborough. 

Yes but surely the lost jncome in having at least 2 less home meetings a year would be greater? 

Edited by cinderfella
Spelling mistook

21 minutes ago, screm said:

Or Peterborough paying him rent to ride out of King's Lynn....  .

This whole situation just doesn't sit well and the fight must continue.  We were told many months ago there was nothing we could do as the planning hadn't gone in which was correct from an AEPG/PCC point of view however I would've liked our end to be prepping us and the media for what is now happening 

Edited by Flappy

2 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Or Peterborough paying him rent to ride out of King's Lynn....  .

There is no way in the world Peterborough would race a season at another track outside of the city, that would be financial suicide.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, screm said:

Probably an element of this too, his team have been crap for years but a majority of this Peterborough side and one or two Lynn riders you have a half decent side. They might even scrape into the play offs since there is currently only 5 sides in the league next year.

1 minute ago, JoeW436 said:

Probably an element of this too, his team have been crap for years but a majority of this Peterborough side and one or two Lynn riders you have a half decent side. They might even scrape into the play offs since there is currently only 5 sides in the league next year.

Do you honestly believe the PL will run with only 5 teams? 

It would be financial suicide and I doubt any TV company would consider taking on a contract to televise a series of repeats. 

For speedway to survive in the UK the PL and CL have to amalgamate and if that means the loss of GP and other top riders it's a price worth paying imo. 

The fact there would be a shortage of riders given there could be no doubling up could be seen as a positive given it would give younger lads more opporchancities. 

We may initially  have to go backwards to make progress. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

It's a shame our current owner doesn't have the same passion as you and others to help our club survive but we all know where his heart lies. He quickly got bored of his new toy after they had peaked a couple of seasons ago and they were good times tbf. The thing that stands out for me with him though that he seems to have no problems not telling the truth, he is not the brightest and his PR skills are absolutely woeful which was demonstrated last night. Surely the first step is to get him out and get Someone in who wants to take us forward...but how?

Edited by chrismorton