British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

3 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Oh come on guys that’s a tad negative, there’s a wheely competition and face painting and lots of other circus attractions put on by the king of promoters the Clown Chapman…wishing him a fond farewell.££££

Don't forget you can sponsor a race for £200 and buy a race jacket for £125 which apparently are nearly all sold :rofl:

Apparently despite numerous phone calls no jugglers are available so we will be doing juggler replacement. 

Edited by Hackney

3 hours ago, JoeW436 said:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/new-sponsor-for-peterboroughs-great-eastern-run-4358944

The brown envelopes have started their journeys, makes you feel sick.

Just shows how corrupt the world is. Absolute joke that a council which is supposed to represent the many instead operates under the control of a few.

1 hour ago, LoweRacing143 said:

Just shows how corrupt the world is. Absolute joke that a council which is supposed to represent the many instead operates under the control of a few.

At this moment in time, the council haven’t approved any Showground development plans. In actual fact, the retrospective change of use planning application for vehicle maintenance and storage by AEPG has been refused, subject to a public planning meeting on 17/10. I like to think the council are being impartial and honest (leave it), and we will see in due course. If an application is refused by the planning department and then suddenly approved on 17/10 then there will certainly be a whiff in the air.

5 hours ago, JoeW436 said:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/new-sponsor-for-peterboroughs-great-eastern-run-4358944

The brown envelopes have started their journeys, makes you feel sick.

AEPG in desperate need of positive press on the back of almost 1500 objections to their Showground development plans. All seems a little obvious and more importantly, desperate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mick Bratley said:

AEPG in desperate need of positive press on the back of almost 1500 objections to their Showground development plans. All seems a little obvious and more importantly, desperate.

At this moment in time, the council haven’t approved any Showground development plans. In actual fact, the retrospective change of use planning application for vehicle maintenance and storage by AEPG has been refused, subject to a public planning meeting on 17/10. I like to think the council are being impartial and honest (leave it), and we will see in due course. If an application is refused by the planning department and then suddenly approved on 17/10 then there will certainly be a whiff in the air.

Both so true. You like to think it's all above board then you get an AEPG charm offensive for an Oct 15 event and within 24 hours PCC bang out that 2 days later, when everyone (except speedway supporters) will think that they are not what they are, they will make a decision on a refused application. The whiff is already there. It's just a question of how pungent it gets!

Makes me laugh when Aaron Murrell, Director for organisers Good Running Events said: “We are incredibly excited to have AEPG on board as headline sponsors of the AEPG Great Eastern Run. “AEPG are a forward-thinking team who share our philosophy of getting people to be fit and active in their community - which makes them the perfect sponsors for this event.”

AEPG is a visionary facilitator *Their Facebook intro, not my words) who unlocks future potential in regenerating land - ie Page · Property developer, nothing more and nothing less.

AEPG CEO Ashley Butterfield said: “We are delighted to support one of Peterborough’s most well-known events, as it aligns with our values of improving the wellness through an active lifestyle.”

So Butterfield doesn't see the contradiction there and the negatives of destroying a popular underused and badly managed existing Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community Facility Greenspace, along with wanting to rid the city of one of its most high profile and successful sporting teams?

Who buys his guff?

I'm looking forward to Consultee (Web) Open Space Management 22/09/2023 PCC - OPEN SPACE MANAGEMENT - PLANNING COMMENTS reappearing on the planning portal next week. It strangely went AWOL after the Peterborough Today article - thinking about it, the 9th or later to reappear is another funny day given the weekends event! 

Edited by Crump99

Oh has it? The letter I got from the Council today (as an objector) only said it's been referred to that meeting, didn't mention anything about a refusal!

2 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

At this moment in time, the council haven’t approved any Showground development plans. In actual fact, the retrospective change of use planning application for vehicle maintenance and storage by AEPG has been refused, subject to a public planning meeting on 17/10. I like to think the council are being impartial and honest (leave it), and we will see in due course. If an application is refused by the planning department and then suddenly approved on 17/10 then there will certainly be a whiff in the air.

I think you mean "recommended for refusal and will be determined at a planning ctte meeting on ..." 

That sponsor stuff is so straight from the Planning Play Book.  Biggleswade had a similar raid made a couple of years ago when it looked like another 1500 houses were going to be built alongside the 4,500 that have just about finished here after around 10 years in the making.  There was a bloke running it and a publicity savvy female alongside buttering up the council.  They bought a couple of pubs in the town centre that were going down the tube and promised all sorts of wonderful stuff happening when they re-built the two pubs.  It all went to rats when the leading character started to believe his own rubbish and ended up service at HM pleasure for not paying loads of hotel bills he had racked up with the money he did not make quickly enough.  There were a number of bizarre single use companies formed much like the ones at the EOS development now.  That gang had previously developed some old land in Nottingham promising all sorts of wonderful things and loads of affordable houses.  The final development ended up with the one of big building firms building half a dozen or so council flats, about a quarter as many new-build houses and none of the glossy shopping centre etc that was in the glossies. It's an old game, but the councils are so strapped for cash they are prepared to fall for it over and over again.

Perhaps the best thing we have got going for us is that the original plans for the showground did not even acknowledge the existence of the speedway in their plans, let alone even spell it in the so-called master plan.  I would even venture they did not even know that such a sport existed.  They do now and I hope that will come as so much of a shock that they think of how they can get it sorted for as little as possible other money as possible, other wise, the gravy train will be doing an HS2 with any luck.  I hope they now fully understand that speedway does exist and there ar a lot of people pushing for it to continue existing.  Maybe they could be persuaded to build something like the National Speedway Stadium with the structures under the grandstands housing their sports village stuff.  Most football clubs couldn''t exist without some sort of additional income in their grounds like conference facilities or gyms etc.  Why not a speedway stadium the same here.  Now that might get more publicity to allow the rest of their money machine to churn over?

23 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I think you mean "recommended for refusal and will be determined at a planning ctte meeting on ..." 

Yes, apologies, my slip of the keyboard.

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Both so true. You like to think it's all above board then you get an AEPG charm offensive for an Oct 15 event and within 24 hours PCC bang out that 2 days later, when everyone (except speedway supporters) will think that they are not what they are, they will make a decision on a refused application. The whiff is already there. It's just a question of how pungent it gets!

Makes me laugh when Aaron Murrell, Director for organisers Good Running Events said: “We are incredibly excited to have AEPG on board as headline sponsors of the AEPG Great Eastern Run. “AEPG are a forward-thinking team who share our philosophy of getting people to be fit and active in their community - which makes them the perfect sponsors for this event.”

AEPG is a visionary facilitator *Their Facebook intro, not my words) who unlocks future potential in regenerating land - ie Page · Property developer, nothing more and nothing less.

AEPG CEO Ashley Butterfield said: “We are delighted to support one of Peterborough’s most well-known events, as it aligns with our values of improving the wellness through an active lifestyle.”

So Butterfield doesn't see the contradiction there and the negatives of destroying a popular underused and badly managed existing Culture, Leisure, Tourism and Community Facility Greenspace, along with wanting to rid the city of one of its most high profile and successful sporting teams?

Who buys his guff?

I'm looking forward to Consultee (Web) Open Space Management 22/09/2023 PCC - OPEN SPACE MANAGEMENT - PLANNING COMMENTS reappearing on the planning portal next week. It strangely went AWOL after the Peterborough Today article - thinking about it, the 9th or later to reappear is another funny day given the weekends event! 

I dare bet Aaron Murrell had never heard of AEPG until a cheque landed on his desk. Given the state of AEPGs finances filed at companies house in the last couple of days, I wouldn’t hang about cashing that cheque, Aaron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, OldNutter said:

Perhaps the best thing we have got going for us is that the original plans for the showground did not even acknowledge the existence of the speedway in their plans, let alone even spell it in the so-called master plan. 

Are you talking about the Design and Access Statement?

AEPG quite clever here. 

They're making a clear statement of what they can do for the wider community of the City of Peterborough. 

They will also be making very clear that Peterborough Speedway are running a closing down meeting, along with the meetings gone by, none of the finances coming through the gate is going back to the community. A totally 'none charitable' business. 

Let's be honest,  take away being a Speedway fans, out of 365 day, Peterborough Speedway plays out for just 30 days a year to the same 1000 (guesstimate) fans per 30 days. What is that delivering to the greater community?? 

The council will see in the end, what an absolute waste of vast space that is compared to the new plan for that space. 

It can be a very very heavy battle when you go up against a charitable business. 

It won't take long before the tag lines of "look at Speedway fans, happy to take food out of starving childrens mouths just for their 30 days a year." etc

22 minutes ago, OldNutter said:

That sponsor stuff is so straight from the Planning Play Book.  Biggleswade had a similar raid made a couple of years ago when it looked like another 1500 houses were going to be built alongside the 4,500 that have just about finished here after around 10 years in the making.  There was a bloke running it and a publicity savvy female alongside buttering up the council.  They bought a couple of pubs in the town centre that were going down the tube and promised all sorts of wonderful stuff happening when they re-built the two pubs.  It all went to rats when the leading character started to believe his own rubbish and ended up service at HM pleasure for not paying loads of hotel bills he had racked up with the money he did not make quickly enough.  There were a number of bizarre single use companies formed much like the ones at the EOS development now.  That gang had previously developed some old land in Nottingham promising all sorts of wonderful things and loads of affordable houses.  The final development ended up with the one of big building firms building half a dozen or so council flats, about a quarter as many new-build houses and none of the glossy shopping centre etc that was in the glossies. It's an old game, but the councils are so strapped for cash they are prepared to fall for it over and over again.

Perhaps the best thing we have got going for us is that the original plans for the showground did not even acknowledge the existence of the speedway in their plans, let alone even spell it in the so-called master plan.  I would even venture they did not even know that such a sport existed.  They do now and I hope that will come as so much of a shock that they think of how they can get it sorted for as little as possible other money as possible, other wise, the gravy train will be doing an HS2 with any luck.  I hope they now fully understand that speedway does exist and there ar a lot of people pushing for it to continue existing.  Maybe they could be persuaded to build something like the National Speedway Stadium with the structures under the grandstands housing their sports village stuff.  Most football clubs couldn''t exist without some sort of additional income in their grounds like conference facilities or gyms etc.  Why not a speedway stadium the same here.  Now that might get more publicity to allow the rest of their money machine to churn over?

They have definitely been shocked by the number of objections to their development plans, they seemed to think it was a done deal, a walk in the park. They didn’t bank on the outrage they have been hit with from local residents and Speedway supporters not only in Peterborough, around the U.K. and even the wider world. This is what happens when some random bloke from Surrey rocks up with a plan, who has no affinity for our city, no thought for our sporting heritage and no understanding of local people.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

AEPG quite clever here. 

They're making a clear statement of what they can do for the wider community of the City of Peterborough. 

They will also be making very clear that Peterborough Speedway are running a closing down meeting, along with the meetings gone by, none of the finances coming through the gate is going back to the community. A totally 'none charitable' business. 

Let's be honest,  take away being a Speedway fans, out of 365 day, Peterborough Speedway plays out for just 30 days a year to the same 1000 (guesstimate) fans per 30 days. What is that delivering to the greater community?? 

The council will see in the end, what an absolute waste of vast space that is compared to the new plan for that space. 

It can be a very very heavy battle when you go up against a charitable business. 

It won't take long before the tag lines of "look at Speedway fans, happy to take food out of starving childrens mouths just for their 30 days a year." etc

I definitely hear what you say BUT there is so much more they could do if they kept the stadium and track, all it takes is a little thought and imagination, in the same way Belle Vue sold their plan to MCC.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

AEPG quite clever here. 

The EEAS/AEPG have all but closed down the site so that's the waste. PCC could approve a multi use health, fitness and well being complex including Peterborough Speedway and the more sensible associated elements of the proposed development but they've made a dash for cash and bought the AEPG fantasy that'll be an out of date dogs' dinner in a decade.

I agree that the farewell meeting is a shocking idea. The only bonus would be if Chapman gets on the mic and tells us (well those who can't find something else to do and are going) what has really gone on and what he thinks.