British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Peterborough Panthers 2023

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

Perfectly summed up. It would be very good if you could very slightly sanitise the text and post it on the councils planning portal in response to the two applications. Your second paragraph regarding the multi use occupancy of the stadium as part of the overall development is something I have been banging on about since the start of this nonsense.

Yup good suggestion. Time has moved on significantly since the planning applications were posted by AEPG/PCC in 2023. The speedway fraternity was understandably initially up in arms and posted its planning portal objections to this unwanted development. Everyone can still post a further objection with additional comments (probably best to say as such to differentiate from just being viewed as a single source duplicate) now that AEPG's mercenary nature, selling strategy and reasoning has been laid bare, as well as their malicious damage inflicted on Peterborough Speedway and an important part of Peterborough's Culture, Leisure and Tourism industry for 2024 and beyond.

And just a reminder:

On 3/24/2024 at 8:54 PM, Crump99 said:

Here are the two links that will take you straight to the two planning applications that have been submitted for developing the Peterborough Showground to make comments and/or objections. You can comment on both applications.

https://planpa.peterborough.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=RSOMJ0MLIWV00

https://planpa.peterborough.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=RSXWVDML04U00

Edited by Crump99

8 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

Perfectly summed up. It would be very good if you could very slightly sanitise the text and post it on the councils planning portal in response to the two applications. Your second paragraph regarding the multi use occupancy of the stadium as part of the overall development is something I have been banging on about since the start of this nonsense. 

Done on both.  Sanitised, de-personalised and re-pointed.

• Like 4

On 4/10/2024 at 9:44 AM, Mick Bratley said:

And reminds one of 23/00400/OUT Representation from Consultee (Web) Open Space Management 22/09/2023 which seemed to suggest a similar outcome and use of existing facilities? (made the ET didn't it although I think that you questioned the reporting). Wish that I'd have saved that original pdf. I didn't expect it to be removed and changed due to it not seemingly fitting the agenda.

It also said: " Further to significant Pre App dialogue with the Applicant PCC Open Space Management are disappointed with the current submission of the 2 somewhat underwhelming Applications" :D

Funnily enough that submission went AWOL and returned on 13/10/23 in a much changed and sanitised version!

While I was wandering through the planning portal looking how it was sitting within officialdom, I came across a list of important dates.  One that sprang out was "The Agreed Expiry Date Sun 31 Mar 2024 ".  Looking though Googledom it would seem that this date is important and signifies a seismic shift in the processes.  It is apparently the date after which the first full phase of the planning cycle has come to an end with no agreement between PCC and AEPG and the process moves into the Government Planning Inspectorate.  In the next stage, either AEPG can start again with a new plan based on the original one, or appeal against the PCC refusual on exclusively planning grounds.  This is probably where the Local Plan really bites into things.  This is where the Coventry Speedway manoeuvres lay for several years.  If this process doesn't result in the plan getting approved, it goes to the Secretary of State and is where that end stage of the Coventry restoration came to in court.

Because this phase is now potentially a long spell, the move made by AEPG to issue the notice to remove the Speedway Company assets (track, lights and fence etc) has become critical.  Had they not done that they could have inevitably come under pressure to relent and let the Panthers resume activities.  Those activities could have come outside of the league structure again following the lead that Coventry took when they moved a low team to Leicester for a while and had  freelance meetings with previous Panther riders to keep the speedway alive in Peterborough.  That tactical move might just backfire on EAPG because it shows bad faith and could be used to expose that bad faith in the planning process itself - never a good thing.

I think I said in the early stages of the EoES application that the process is incredibly biassed in favour of the developer and can end up a very protracted game of legal ping-pong  to sort out who has got the longest temper.  For us, the longer it takes and the further it gets the more it will cost AEPG because of the loan charges they will incur and the more chance there is of of it getting binned when the Farmers lose faith with their chosen Land Developer.  After all, from the reports, they have not been getting much in the way of charitable income already for a couple of years  Our biggest problem is going to be the lack of visibility for us general public now the process has moved to the Planning Inspectorate.  I suspect it will be up to the helpful councillors to keep us abreast of things.

5 hours ago, OldNutter said:

While I was wandering through the planning portal looking how it was sitting within officialdom, I came across a list of important dates.  One that sprang out was "The Agreed Expiry Date Sun 31 Mar 2024 ".  Looking though Googledom it would seem that this date is important and signifies a seismic shift in the processes.  It is apparently the date after which the first full phase of the planning cycle has come to an end with no agreement between PCC and AEPG and the process moves into the Government Planning Inspectorate.

If that's the case then I think that they decided some while ago to go that route if necessary?

The September AEPG position was reported as: " Sale of the land is expected to be approved by Spring 2024, again subject to planning approval." - one assumes that that was based on that March timeline?

5 weeks later that had changed to: "This includes the area of land the grandstand occupies and as the ownership of the land is predicted to change sometime in 2024, there is no ability to commit to a 2024 Speedway Season."

Anyone heard from the club owner?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see the committee said there will be positive news coming soon after a meeting last night 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Flappy said:

I see the committee said there will be positive news coming soon after a meeting last night 

Yes I have seen the post also, I wonder what it could be, fingers crossed hey.

• Like 1

I wish Vadim Tarasenko all the best.

Hopefully Vadim quitting will burn a big hole in Buster's pocket once attendances drop after a few more batterings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TTT said:

I wish Vadim Tarasenko all the best.

Hopefully Vadim quitting will burn a big hole in Buster's pocket once attendances drop after a few more batterings.

So is the real reason for Mondays postponement 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pitch said:

Yes I have seen the post also, I wonder what it could be, fingers crossed hey.

I wouldn't get too excited at the moment. With AEPG making all of the noise for a good while now (and we await their next move) I suspect that we'll just push back against their waffle and vandalism and clarify a few points from the perspective of Peterborough Speedway and its consortium.

Such a shame to see Buster and King's Lynn struggling. 

Has he sold Panthers yet btw?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

So is the real reason for Mondays postponement 

Yes.

37 minutes ago, Flappy said:

Such a shame to see Buster and King's Lynn struggling. 

Has he sold Panthers yet btw?

Not all debts are paid in cash !!