British Speedway Forum

43 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I see Wolves management haven't made any comment yet, possibly assessing legal options? And see if it can be changed.

It is a tweet from Paul Burbidge which links an article from expressandstar.com

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheSmiler said:

British Speedway has been dying a slow and painful death for years but maybe this year is the final nail in the coffin. 

in the past decade we have lost massive clubs such as Coventry, Swindon, Arena Essex and now Peterborough and Wolves this year. 

I predict one big league next year and then fading out with a whimper. 

Even one league won't be very big unfortunately.

I'm surprised at the timing but not particularly shocked at the stadiu owners decision.

With one year/short term leases this sort of thing is never far away 

So CVS states that Entain (who own Ladbrokes) offered him a 4 year extension. Entain say they didn't.

Someones telling porkies.

1 minute ago, Wolfsbane said:

So CVS states that Entain (who own Ladbrokes) offered him a 4 year extension. Entain say they didn't.

Someones telling porkies.

Entering in to a 4 year deal with the state the sport is in currently would have been a very brave move you can only presume there would have been various break clauses along the way 

• Like 1

Just now, noaksey said:

Entering in to a 4 year deal with the state the sport is in currently would have been a very brave move you can only presume there would have been various break clauses along the way 

Usually a three-year rolling deal at Monmore, apparently. Ironically, CVS said he was delighted at the prospect of the extra year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fourentee said:

Usually a three-year rolling deal at Monmore, apparently. Ironically, CVS said he was delighted at the prospect of the extra year.

Depends on break clauses as I said above. I don't believe every deal has been on that basis either. It's up to CVS how much detail if any on the lease agreement he wants to make public I guess 

Obviously it’s not good to lose clubs, for a whole host of reasons, that being said, I see it as a positive. 

Clubs can now build their own tracks & stadia, purpose built, modern facilities etc.. if they can find land/get planning permission.

Why they would want to do that for anything between 1k - 3k fans and clubs folding around them, plus doubts over others too is beyond me, but maybe then they would treat the paying public with more respect and present a more professional show and experience and address the many credibility issues. Then, maybe the sport could progress over time.. if not it’s like everything else, if the product is poor or there is little interest, it shuts, 

that’s life & business.

Sadly it’s almost irrelevant what they were offered as CVS has said that he signed it but it was never returned with a counter signature on it and therefore there is no agreement.

A really sad day for the sport in general and I really feel for all the supporters and everyone involved with the club.

Where on earth does British speedway go from here!?

2 hours ago, StephenMiller said:

Much as it pains me to say it, barring a miraculous upturn in attendances I can't see Birmingham carrying on after this year either.

I think the only viable way for speedway to continue in the midlands is a joint venture with a purpose built Speedway stadium which could be shared by Wolves, Birmingham and Cradley. I very much doubt any of us can afford to go it alone.

• Like 2

Entain say they want to create a premier greyhound racing venue. Greyhound racing as a sport is on it's ar$e for exactly the reason speedway is, an aging audience. Plus, after the weekend's events, it's not difficult to see a groundswell of opinion building to end all sports where animals are involved. 

As was said when the closure of Coventry was announced....................the tarmac lorries are starting up:(

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

Entain say they want to create a premier greyhound racing venue. Greyhound racing as a sport is on it's ar$e for exactly the reason speedway is, an aging audience. Plus, after the weekend's events, it's not difficult to see a groundswell of opinion building to end all sports where animals are involved. 

As was said when the closure of Coventry was announced....................the tarmac lorries are starting up:(

Surely it’s not unreasonable to ask entain what work they will be doing to the stadium to make it a ‘premier greyhound venue’ and how the speedway track on the inside of the greyhound track prevents them from doing so?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

Surely it’s not unreasonable to ask entain what work they will be doing to the stadium to make it a ‘premier greyhound venue’ and how the speedway track on the inside of the greyhound track prevents them from doing so?

They probably want Mondays as well.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

I see Wolves management haven't made any comment yet, possibly assessing legal options? And see if it can be changed.

cvs comments are on the link from the" greyhound star" provided by "ruckeroo"

• Thanks 1

Just now, Grachan said:

They probably want Mondays as well.

Ok but surely Wolves Speedway would run on a different night rather than not at all?