British Speedway Forum
Argos

Peter Collins Book

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

PC was involved in the move to Kirky Lane in the beginning, but was ejected by Perrin; it is described in the book.

PC resigned.

On 11/13/2022 at 5:21 PM, oldtimer said:

don't understand the book title ? Is  it paperback or hardback ?

Paperback.

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

PC was involved in the move to Kirky Lane in the beginning, but was ejected by Perrin; it is described in the book.

Knew that I finished my copy yesterday, PC & Mort both have their reasons still a shame neither are currently involved....

• Like 1

EUREKA!  I got my copy of THE BOOK today. I contacted the office of TonyMac on Wednesday, posted on Thursday, dropped (heavily) through the letterbox at lunchtime today, Friday.                                
Looked at chapter headings for a chapter to read first….. I started off with chapter 26 “To the mechanics”.  Why?. Although I only did grass track racing at club level I always appreciated the help of my “mechanic”…. the next door neighbour. Peter appreciated his mechanics, hence a chapter to them.
Also, one of Peters mechanics was George Clarke, another one from Partington. He gave up racing grass track to be Peters mechanic. You will see him in the photo after Peter won the world championship in Katowice, the one with the black bushy sideburns. Heck of a nice guy, got cancer and died too young. When George gave up the grass racing I bought his 250 race bike. The frame was a Drury, that is made by Graham Drury’s dad. Good frame, and helped me to a different level.             
I like how the top of each page has a red/black/white banner…..Belle Vue colours.
The rest of the book i am going to read in chapter number order, starting this evening.

• Like 7

On 11/18/2022 at 3:36 PM, OveFundinFan said:

EUREKA!  I got my copy of THE BOOK today. I contacted the office of TonyMac on Wednesday, posted on Thursday, dropped (heavily) through the letterbox at lunchtime today, Friday.                                
Looked at chapter headings for a chapter to read first….. I started off with chapter 26 “To the mechanics”.  Why?. Although I only did grass track racing at club level I always appreciated the help of my “mechanic”…. the next door neighbour. Peter appreciated his mechanics, hence a chapter to them.
Also, one of Peters mechanics was George Clarke, another one from Partington. He gave up racing grass track to be Peters mechanic. You will see him in the photo after Peter won the world championship in Katowice, the one with the black bushy sideburns. Heck of a nice guy, got cancer and died too young. When George gave up the grass racing I bought his 250 race bike. The frame was a Drury, that is made by Graham Drury’s dad. Good frame, and helped me to a different level.             
I like how the top of each page has a red/black/white banner…..Belle Vue colours.
The rest of the book i am going to read in chapter number order, starting this evening.

Yes, PC was very enthusiastic about devoting a full and lengthy chapter to all the many who assisted him throughout his career. He'll be pleased that you were first attracted by that chapter. Enjoy the read...

For Midlands based fans, Peter Collins will be our guest at the NSSC (at the Brandon Club, nr Coventry) on Thursday 24th November.

There will be an opportunity to purchase the book and get it signed and then listen to Peter interviewed and join in the following Q&A.

If you wish to purchase the book or want yours personally signed please arrive from 7:30. (Cash preferred)

Everybody welcome. Entrance fee £4 with all proceeds going to help Neil Vatcher and the GB Young Lions.

The Brandon Club is just down the road from Brandon Stadium, on the Rugby side.

Brandon Club, Main Street, Brandon, Coventry, CV8 3HW

There is a small car park at the rear of the building but plenty of on street parking available. The Club itself has a good bar ( including a particularly nice pint of Timothy Taylor’s Landlord) hot drinks and light snacks.

• Like 1

has he still got another book signing gig in Manchester somewhere?

13 minutes ago, DazS said:

has he still got another book signing gig in Manchester somewhere?

If not, and you want a book, I suggest you contact TonyMac’s office and ask have they any signed stock. Worth a try.

• Thanks 1

Apparently P.C. is guest of honor @ this Saturdays Kempton Park Auto Jumbo (03/12/22) can anybody confirm this & will his book be available?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

If not, and you want a book, I suggest you contact TonyMac’s office and ask have they any signed stock. Worth a try.

cheers, ive got the book signed, just wanted him to put too john, my dad for Christmas. I'm sure he had one more round Manchester somewhere! might of missed it.

On 11/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, DazS said:

cheers, ive got the book signed, just wanted him to put too john, my dad for Christmas. I'm sure he had one more round Manchester somewhere! might of missed it.

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 9

Longsight & District Sports & Social Club, 140 Kirkmanshulme Lane, Manchester M12 4WP. 7.30pm. £10.00 for an ‘Evening with PC’ Q&A (inc buffet).

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, Ghosty said:

Apparently P.C. is guest of honor @ this Saturdays Kempton Park Auto Jumbo (03/12/22) can anybody confirm this & will his book be available?

Yes, you are right - PC will be there. Here are the details:

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 3

London Classic Off Road & Racing Show, Kempton Park Racecourse, Staines Road East, Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex, TW16 5AQ. 8.00am-3.00pm. Admission: Early Bird (from 8.00am) £10, adult from 9.30am £7, child (under-15) free. Free car parking.

1 hour ago, TonyMac said:

Yes, you are right - PC will be there. Here are the details:

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 3

London Classic Off Road & Racing Show, Kempton Park Racecourse, Staines Road East, Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex, TW16 5AQ. 8.00am-3.00pm. Admission: Early Bird (from 8.00am) £10, adult from 9.30am £7, child (under-15) free. Free car parking.

Odd pricing structure. What happens between 8am and 9.30 to justify the extra £3?

2 hours ago, TonyMac said:

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 9

Longsight & District Sports & Social Club, 140 Kirkmanshulme Lane, Manchester M12 4WP. 7.30pm. £10.00 for an ‘Evening with PC’ Q&A (inc buffet).

cheers tony i was hoping i hadn't missed it. will be having it. can you just turn up or need to book it.?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Odd pricing structure. What happens between 8am and 9.30 to justify the extra £3?

Its the sort of thing that happens at record fairs. if you're looking for something in particular, you pay extra to have first dibs at the dealers stock. That of course pre-supposes that things are being sold at this event.  

• Like 1