British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

First initial thoughts. Worrying times for my club and I didn't see this coming. Let's hope a buyer is sorted. I stand with Dave Helmsley near enough every week and he's still passionate about the club so maybe he can pull a few strings and get a few parties interested. From the statement it sounds like the club on/off the track is doing fine which may encourage a new buyer. I don't think it's making huge sums of money but I think it's certainly manageable compared to other clubs. I kind of have mixed feelings on the whole situation really. I don't really know what to make of it. It says it's down to health reasons and if so it's the right call and health comes first. But it just seems odd to me. 

The questions I have in my head right are ones I will have to be patient with. 

Is there more to this than meets the eye?

Is it current state of British speedway played a factor that's encouraged this decision?

Has the change of race night cost the club money?

Who is interested in buying the club ? 

Are we about to lose another club ? 

What can the supporters do to help? 

If any people inside the club that are on this forum please let us know of anything we can do to support the lions. 

And no I'm not going to buy the club even though I think about every day if I won the euro millions!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I don't.....

But I was only 5 :D

I was 20...

But I also remember reading Sam's autobiography and it details it in there!

LEGEND!

It’s good to hear a club such as Leicester is a viable business as most on here fear the opposite. Their team is as expensive as others and their crowds are on a par with the rest with similar sponsorship income. Perhaps we now need to be more optimistic about the top league going forward. 

Hopefully the new owners will be more local and take more of a proactive attitude in actually actively promoting the club to the local community.

While the Bates have brought success to the club, the club did nothing with it in terms of promotion and once the title was won in 2019 it was barely mentioned again, then of course there was the debacle of last years final.

Let's hope that the Bates can go out on a high with victory in the Jubilee Trophy!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Hopefully the new owners will be more local and take more of a proactive attitude in actually actively promoting the club to the local community.

While the Bates have brought success to the club, the club did nothing with it in terms of promotion and once the title was won in 2019 it was barely mentioned again, then of course there was the debacle of last years final.

Let's hope that the Bates can go out on a high with victory in the Jubilee Trophy!

Err I think Covid had something to do with the league win not being mentioned.

52 minutes ago, DiveBomb said:

I've been down to Leicester a few times when Glasgow have been down and it seemed like a cracking club with great fans.

I have noticed on the meetings that have been shown on Eurosport and BSN that the crowds have been far far less than what I've seen in person.

On the "is there more than meets the eye" part, there always is, people don't sell profitable business' unless their heading off into the sunset on the profit they've made.

Secondly, how many successful businesses with "interested parties" advertise on their club page with contact details for any other interested parties looking to buying the club.

Lastly I hope to goodness that this isn't another club going to the wall.

3 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

I missed the title winning season and since coming back someone had to tell me we  won something. Be nice if it was displayed in some way

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

Er I think we were still reigning champions when racing resumed in 2021

I'm glad you agree it wasn't mentioned though :)

Edited by iainb

1 minute ago, DiveBomb said:

I missed the title winning season and since coming back someone had to tell me we  won something. Be nice if it was displayed in some way

Don't mention the title win... I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it :D

53 minutes ago, Cast1rn said:

I've been down to Leicester a few times when Glasgow have been down and it seemed like a cracking club with great fans.

I have noticed on the meetings that have been shown on Eurosport and BSN that the crowds have been far far less than what I've seen in person.

On the "is there more than meets the eye" part, there always is, people don't sell profitable business' unless their heading off into the sunset on the profit they've made.

Secondly, how many successful businesses with "interested parties" advertise on their club page with contact details for any other interested parties looking to buying the club.

Lastly I hope to goodness that this isn't another club going to the wall.

I thought most speedway clubs were run by people who love the sport(Fans), as the days of retiring to the sun on the back of speedway earnings in this country has long since gone

17 minutes ago, Toady said:

I thought most speedway clubs were run by people who love the sport(Fans), as the days of retiring to the sun on the back of speedway earnings in this country has long since gone

Which is exactly my point, why sell a profitable business, the statement is that it's due to health reasons. 

2 hours ago, DiveBomb said:

First initial thoughts. Worrying times for my club and I didn't see this coming. Let's hope a buyer is sorted. I stand with Dave Helmsley near enough every week and he's still passionate about the club so maybe he can pull a few strings and get a few parties interested. From the statement it sounds like the club on/off the track is doing fine which may encourage a new buyer. I don't think it's making huge sums of money but I think it's certainly manageable compared to other clubs. I kind of have mixed feelings on the whole situation really. I don't really know what to make of it. It says it's down to health reasons and if so it's the right call and health comes first. But it just seems odd to me. 

The questions I have in my head right are ones I will have to be patient with. 

Is it current state of British speedway played a factor that's encouraged this decision?

Has the change of race night cost the club money?

What can the supporters do to help? 

If any people inside the club that are on this forum please let us know of anything we can do to support the lions. 

And no I'm not going to buy the club even though I think about every day if I won the euro millions!

i don't think that Hemsley would be allowed to promote the club after the fraca a few years ago.

Thought has dawned on me that Dicko has gone to Brummies, who may be losing PB imminently to development, to entice Nigel Tolley to invest at Leicester. 

If Wolves close too Leicester would have massive catchment area. 

2 + 2 doesn't often add up though 

Don't worry Leicester fans Buster Chapman will step in and buy the club , he's a multi millionaire who owns 2 other well run and profitable speedway clubs and is honest to the core  , everyday is such a fun day with Buster as the owner and the pits gate hinge gets replaced on a regular basis even if its not really needed .

• Haha 2

FFS. Here I was thinking Leicester was one of the few stable clubs left. 

The sport really is f’ed, I give it two years.

• Like 1