British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Leicester lions 2023 (PREMIERSHIP)

Out of the cup in the first round, home season over by August the 28th, failed to qualify for the play offs after being 2nd in the league, 2 riders suspended for providing non-negative drugs tests, captain sacked... "But we’ve still had a good season"

I'd hate to see what a bad one looked like (Peterborough & Lynn fans, please move along)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, iainb said:

Can't disagree with much of what you have said there. Leicester's implosion was triggered by the Nick Morris incident but it's how you react to those situations that counts, maybe the Batch signing was a bit knee jerk but who knew we were then going to get the Craig Cook we got... 

Er, there was a very good reason he failed to get a team place anywhere else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Out of the cup in the first round, home season over by August the 28th, failed to qualify for the play offs after being 2nd in the league, 2 riders suspended for providing non-negative drugs tests, captain sacked... "But we’ve still had a good season"

I'd hate to see what a bad one looked like (Peterborough & Lynn fans, please move along)

Hi iainb hope your not feeling to down?  Got to say I was convinced they would make the play-offs even after the wolves loss. How long before you calm down.  Lol. Anyway from what I've been told you will have a lot to look forward to.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SSL84 said:

Hi iainb hope your not feeling to down?  Got to say I was convinced they would make the play-offs even after the wolves loss. How long before you calm down.  Lol. Anyway from what I've been told you will have a lot to look forward to.  

Haha, I'll survive :)

There's been so much unfulfilled rumour surrounding Leicester this year I'll believe things when they happen :)

... and I thought last year was a shambles!

4 hours ago, LionsFan said:

Didn't we win a cup that year as well?

Exactly, did the double. Thought Dickson was going to be the Pep Guardiola of speedway at that point. Only the lack of a Saudi investor got in his way. (Just off to get my coat).

Here’s a thought. Assuming that the Lions come to tapes next season (pray that they do and I don’t think that many people have a strong preference for either league), with new owners, would Dickson be asked or want to manage the team? Would supporters want him at the helm? If he isn’t here for whatever reason, who else would be suitable to take over? There is a very experienced man currently managing at a West Midlands track which may not be there next season. Although he only smiles every eclipse or by appointment I personally wouldn’t mind him at Leicester. What do others think?

23 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

Here’s a thought. Assuming that the Lions come to tapes next season (pray that they do and I don’t think that many people have a strong preference for either league), with new owners, would Dickson be asked or want to manage the team? Would supporters want him at the helm? If he isn’t here for whatever reason, who else would be suitable to take over? There is a very experienced man currently managing at a West Midlands track which may not be there next season. Although he only smiles every eclipse or by appointment I personally wouldn’t mind him at Leicester. What do others think?

Dickson all day long for me, he's had a bad year this year but is a hell of a lot better than some of the dross we've had over the years. He may have got a few things wrong this season but I think his current role also extends to being general manger which he seems quite competent at. Don't forget he guided us to our only ever league title and that has to be worth something

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, iainb said:

Dickson all day long for me, he's had a bad year this year but is a hell of a lot better than some of the dross we've had over the years. He may have got a few things wrong this season but I think his current role also extends to being general manger which he seems quite competent at. Don't forget he guided us to our only ever league title and that has to be worth something

Agreed. But then again you or me might have done a better job than Hemsley, Norris Allen and Jim Lynch. Can’t believe that the latter once said that he just wanted riders to go out and enjoy it. Great motivation…….if you are in charge of an Under 7’s Sunday Morning football team. The current GB manager never really impressed when he was here either. It didn’t escape my notice when Steady picked Ellis for GB in the World Cup (nothing to do with the Sheffield connection I’m sure) where he looked out of his depth. It can’t be that difficult to pick the best four in form riders for such an occassion. Without saying a word, he has confirmed that this was a mistake by releasing the same rider from the club he manages!

1 hour ago, Teromaafan said:

Im pretty sure Pete will be looking forward to a year off, he’s not getting any younger. Chris Adams may be interested though.

Edited by Call me wolfie

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

Im pretty sure Pete will be looking forward to a year off, he’s not getting any younger. Chris Adams may be interested though.

Rosco is your man if you want a new team manager 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Rosco is your man if you want a new team manager 

Whinging toad, seems to be ruffled too easily. I understand he runs a pub, but I bet they’ve never had a happy hour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Whinging toad, seems to be ruffled too easily. I understand he runs a pub, but I bet they’ve never had a happy hour.

Yet Rosco has more titles on his CV than the back catalogue of the all Lions managers put together. 

Still, when Leicester can “successfully” grasp defeat from the jaws of victory in qualifying for the play offs this season, that’s probably an alien concept to you.

I wouldn’t worry about a team manger just yet, with the Bates’ family having put Leicester up for sale, you should be worrying about Leicester coming to the tapes next year. If Leicester come to the tapes next year, then you can worry about a team manager, which probably won’t be Rosco, Rob Lyon or Peter Adams.

Any new regime might want to put themselves in charge after buying Leicester speedway. Buy a lottery ticket today, it could be you…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

With our recent drugs/alcohol testing record the last thing we need is a pub landlord in charge! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, iainb said:

Just to add to your woes Max James and Vinnie Ford had a set too after one on their races at Belle Vue last night! Wonder what the Cubs Team Spirit will be like tonight!

Edited by Happy Hunter
Typo!

1 hour ago, Happy Hunter said:

Just to add to your woes Max James and Vinnie Ford had a set too after one on their races at Belle Vue last night! Wonder what the Cubs Team Spirit will be like tonight!

Vinne does seem take out everyone he races against . When I spoke to him about advice he's been getting from the senior riders he said he spoke to bomber. Belive it or not bomber told vinne to slow down!