British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilTheAce

TV rights money

6 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

How does that compare to what SkySports gave in the past (less Terry Russell's 40% cut) to the sport for their coverage?  And was that talk just amongst fans or did it emanate from official publications? I appreciate it's what you hear being talked about but you also hear that the Earth if flat and that Donald Trump had his election result stolen from him.

...yes I would be interested in what monies changed hands during the SKY years?

10 hours ago, uk_martin said:

How does that compare to what SkySports gave in the past (less Terry Russell's 40% cut) to the sport for their coverage?  And was that talk just amongst fans or did it emanate from official publications? I appreciate it's what you hear being talked about but you also hear that the Earth if flat and that Donald Trump had his election result stolen from him.

Im lead to believe the cut was no bigger than 20% which is usually about the maximum you'd take in a "finders fee" that was still a hefty pot of money, if only sky would come back but saying that, Discovery are interested in throwing more money at domestic speedway, they obviously need a churn of riders to reach world level so they need domestic leagues to be successful 

Been told by a fairly reliable source that Leicester have moved UP on understanding they won't get a share of the Discovery TV pot for a few seasons.

Same source has said that once final figures are known (following delayed Play Offs) that BSN contribution to each CL Club will be a 5 figure sum (before the decimal place :D) so that initiative seems to have been a massive success for the CL in it's first season. It suggests that the sum generated to be split by 10 CL Clubs is very close to the sum given to PL Clubs by Discovery. (if the above figures of ciurrent TV deal are correct). 

That's a pretty damning verdict on the highly paid Marketing Consultant employed by BSPL to negotiate the TV deal if correct (some have suggested Discovery deal is 100k a year over 5 years but some think it's 500k a year for 5 years but based on the majority view of 100 k for 5 years then BSN has made a cracking start and the product isn't radically inferior)

Naturally they appeal to different markets, Discovery to a Global market, BSN to a very niche in-built market. Jittendra and his BSN team though should be very proud of their efforts.

4 hours ago, HGould said:

Been told by a fairly reliable source that Leicester have moved UP on understanding they won't get a share of the Discovery TV pot for a few seasons.

Same source has said that once final figures are known (following delayed Play Offs) that BSN contribution to each CL Club will be a 5 figure sum (before the decimal place :D) so that initiative seems to have been a massive success for the CL in it's first season. It suggests that the sum generated to be split by 10 CL Clubs is very close to the sum given to PL Clubs by Discovery. (if the above figures of ciurrent TV deal are correct). 

That's a pretty damning verdict on the highly paid Marketing Consultant employed by BSPL to negotiate the TV deal if correct (some have suggested Discovery deal is 100k a year over 5 years but some think it's 500k a year for 5 years but based on the majority view of 100 k for 5 years then BSN has made a cracking start and the product isn't radically inferior)

Naturally they appeal to different markets, Discovery to a Global market, BSN to a very niche in-built market. Jittendra and his BSN team though should be very proud of their efforts.

There must be some kind of thirst for streaming if clubs are getting say £10k each over the course of a season just from streaming

I dont know the numbers only BSN know but I'd have thought they'd get 100 people max per event but then again they offered bundles and packages didnt they

Can’t comment too much on the financial input for work reasons other than to say the Sky Sports deal is still the biggest one that British Speedway has had.  If the current younger bunch of promoters had been involved at the end of the Sky deal then it may have still been on the UKs largest sports broadcaster.

Next year will be interesting with the Warner Discovery joint venture with BT on Sports in the UK I am hearing a variety of different outcomes on how they will move forward with BT Sport and Eurosport. 

Personally I can see BT sport being the home of UK based sport plus the CL Football and then Discovery sport will show overseas content from both Eurosport and BTs overseas rights. So it’s possible that UK Speedway could end up back on BT sport in 2023

• Like 1

I was always led to believe that Ronnie Russell took a million from the Sky deal for putting it all together but like a lot of things in speedway, who knows what the actual real story is 

• Sad 1

Sounds like the usual, how do you make a small profit in speedway? start with a large pot.

10 hours ago, flagrag said:

Can’t comment too much on the financial input for work reasons other than to say the Sky Sports deal is still the biggest one that British Speedway has had.  If the current younger bunch of promoters had been involved at the end of the Sky deal then it may have still been on the UKs largest sports broadcaster.

Next year will be interesting with the Warner Discovery joint venture with BT on Sports in the UK I am hearing a variety of different outcomes on how they will move forward with BT Sport and Eurosport. 

Personally I can see BT sport being the home of UK based sport plus the CL Football and then Discovery sport will show overseas content from both Eurosport and BTs overseas rights. So it’s possible that UK Speedway could end up back on BT sport in 2023

I'd be happy with that .....

8 hours ago, The Dog said:

I was always led to believe that Ronnie Russell took a million from the Sky deal for putting it all together but like a lot of things in speedway, who knows what the actual real story is 

Wrong Russell!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The Dog said:

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

Wrong Russell?

Yes, wrong Russell. Terry was the brother with the media contacts.

• Like 1

So Terry Russell, who rumoured to take a million for brokering a tv deal has also suspiciously given up on Blunsdon and is working with Clarke Osborne to find a new home for Swindon. The BSPA should release a statement distancing themselves from this man.

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

20% of a £5m contract is £1m good earner if you can get it 

80% (£4m) of a £5m contract, that wouldn't be on the table without an introduction, is an even better 'earner'. Don't forget, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing....

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

80% (£4m) of a £5m contract, that wouldn't be on the table without an introduction, is an even better 'earner'. Don't forget, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing....

I agree with you but an individual getting £1m is decent, wish British speedway was still getting this level of investment but spent in the right way