British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

I think the 21 year gap that OGT pointed out, has had the biggest impact....

Also, the stadium isn't great for watching speedway (IMO) and the location is a nightmare at times.....

I dread travelling to the area.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Quite right....Football/Cricket puts a dent in any possibility of new fans....

The only way I can see an increase in attendances, is if 'we' merged with Coventry/Cradley and were re-named to suit....

Signing Nick Morris will not put any 'new' bums on seats, or entice any stay away fans....that's not me whinging, or sounding ungrateful...it's a fact!

I don't think the promotion have learnt much about Team management/ building during their first season....

LR needs to step down as TM....great guy....but ??? 

New fans won't show up if they don't have interest, will they? I recently heard a question from a badminton fan: Why is badminton not so popular and doesn't have as many fans?
Because it's not very interesting :)
And so it is with any sport.

46 minutes ago, Nickinho said:

What's wrong with the area?

Well....to be polite...I wouldn't want to live there...but I guess, it's more to do with the traffic, which becomes even more unbearable when Villa play at home.

The area is run down and also, my journey involves going through a couple of other undesirable areas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Well....to be polite...I wouldn't want to live there...but I guess, it's more to do with the traffic, which becomes even more unbearable when Villa play at home.

The area is run down and also, my journey involves going through a couple of other undesirable areas.

I think they are in the process of trying to rejuvenate the area. as an away fan it has reasonable facilities, food is not bad, car park isn't massive but plenty of parking close by if needed , last time the main issue was that they were preparing for the Commonwealth Games which caused a few extra traffic issues.

22 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I think they are in the process of trying to rejuvenate the area. as an away fan it has reasonable facilities, food is not bad, car park isn't massive but plenty of parking close by if needed , last time the main issue was that they were preparing for the Commonwealth Games which caused a few extra traffic issues.

Perry barr is in the process of being rejuvenated,  other areas may not be. If you wish to arrive 10 minutes before start time you will be parking at the one step shopping centre.  If you can arrive earlier parking at or closer to the track us possible . Traffic does now flow much better since the end of the commonwealth games.

2 hours ago, Col said:

But it isn't like any of those are successful!  And I was brought up going to the Hawthorns every other weekend, usually Villa or Walsall when West Brom were away.
Aston Villa have been crowned English league champions 7 times, Wolverhampton Wanderers 3 and West Bromwich Albion once.  The last time the English league champions were form the West Midlands was 1981.
Compare that to the other big cities in England.  Liverpool (& Everton) have 28, as do Manchester (City & United).  London has 21.  11 for the West Midlands.
And now the closest professional Rugby Union team is in Gloucester or Leicester with Wasps (Coventry) and Worcester going into administration.

True, but Villa sell out every game and have 20k waiting for a season ticket. The ground is about to be expanded to 52k+. Blues crowds are because their ground is a tip at the moment and Albion seem to get the same gates whether their successful or not. People still go. 

As far as Premiership rugby is concerned, it's at a crossroads really. 2 clubs gone, rumours that 2 or 3 could be in trouble too. Most clubs seem to have a rich benefactor keeping them afloat, bit like speedway really. Plus crowds are, in general, dwindling. Many rugby union fans are only interested in internationals and I know from experience many can't name which clubs most of the England team play for! 

22 minutes ago, Petecc said:

Perry barr is in the process of being rejuvenated,  other areas may not be. If you wish to arrive 10 minutes before start time you will be parking at the one step shopping centre.  If you can arrive earlier parking at or closer to the track us possible . Traffic does now flow much better since the end of the commonwealth games.

That sounds good, I usually arrive early enough to park in the car park , I would think the traffic won't improve until all the work has been done but it is a track that I enjoy visiting when Poole are there, usually the racing isn't bad and the food is pretty good too compared to other tracks I have visited.

Edited by foreverblue

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Also, the stadium isn't great for watching speedway (IMO) and the location is a nightmare at times.....

The only view I like is the inside bit really. Everywhere else I find the view poor. Travelling can be a nightmare. I usually leave an hour earlier than usual and park in the shopping bit for a bite to eat but I shouldn't really have to. And the racing is ok at best..for all negative talk of leicesters track it produces way better racing than from what I've witnessed at Birmingham. 

45 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

That sounds good, I usually arrive early enough to park in the car park , I would think the traffic won't improve until all the work has been done but it is a track that I enjoy visiting when Poole are there, usually the racing isn't bad and the food is pretty good too compared to other tracks I have visited.

work on road is all completed

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

The only view I like is the inside bit really. Everywhere else I find the view poor. Travelling can be a nightmare. I usually leave an hour earlier than usual and park in the shopping bit for a bite to eat but I shouldn't really have to. And the racing is ok at best..for all negative talk of leicesters track it produces way better racing than from what I've witnessed at Birmingham. 

really?? Good racing and track was praised at Birmingham 

Just now, Speedway fan said:

really?? Good racing and track was praised at Birmingham 

I've only been twice in all honesty. Once for under 21 final and the other when Leicester visited. I wasn't amazed . But that's only two meetings...il definitely make more of an effort to go next season to get a better judgement of it . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Despite it being a long way away easy enough to get to from Glasgow M6 J7 and it's almost a straight road down A34 to the track. Plenty of space in stadium car park, granted there's a charge but there is at most tracks.

Viewing on the home straight ain't great but I watched from a raised platform on the first bend this year and had a good view.

Equality of racing this year had certainly improved from my previous visits 

The bad part of Perry Barr is south towards Birmingham. To the north is open suburbia with large houses ... access is very easy from the north down the A34 which is a dual carriageway. I park outside the warehouses on the Walsall road, being too tight to pay in the stadium car park! As for racing better at Leicester? What is he on?

I can't imagine/believe that the racing is better at Leicester ?

But what is better, is the spectator viewing area/s!