British Speedway Forum
*JJ

Birmingham Brummies 2023

On 7/29/2023 at 9:39 AM, HGould said:

I think Nigel has lost the plot or been on the loopy juice or waccy baccy in deepest Kinver Cliff Houses. 

He's already claimed to be 200k down.

It makes you wonder. How much of that £200K is a tax write-off from other business interests (a la the Dougards at Eastbourne)? So, if that money has gone down the speedway drain instead of into His Majesties Revenues & Customs pot, then it could be the Chancellor of the Exchequer that could be £200K down.

21 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

It makes you wonder. How much of that £200K is a tax write-off from other business interests (a la the Dougards at Eastbourne)? So, if that money has gone down the speedway drain instead of into His Majesties Revenues & Customs pot, then it could be the Chancellor of the Exchequer that could be £200K down.

That's not how it works. Setting a £200k loss against other business profits will only result in HMRC losing £50k. The promoter will still be £150,000 down.

If HMRC is £200k down then Birm speedway would have had to lose £800,000

• Like 4

19 hours ago, arnieg said:

That's not how it works. Setting a £200k loss against other business profits will only result in HMRC losing £50k. The promoter will still be £150,000 down.

If HMRC is £200k down then Birm speedway would have had to lose £800,000

Assuming normal accountancy rules apply. Get Donald Trump's accountants in, and you'll end up with HMRC owing the Brummies money. :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Assuming normal accountancy rules apply. Get Donald Trump's accountants in, and you'll end up with HMRC owing the Brummies money. :D

Stick with me as your accountant. At least you won't end up in court!

9 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

Any news on the number one for the meeting on Wednesday

BIRMINGHAM bosses have made the early decision to rearrange Wednesday’s (August 2) scheduled home fixture against Plymouth.

The Curtis Sport Brummies were due to meet the Gladiators in the Cab Direct Championship at Perry Barr.

But with the track already sodden and several forecasts showing thundery showers from Tuesday night and throughout the whole of Wednesday, bosses have made the decision early to minimise inconvenience for all.

The two clubs have swiftly agreed a restaging date and the two will now meet at Perry Barr on Wednesday, September 6.

It means the Curtis Sport Brummies will begin a hectic schedule at home to Redcar on Wednesday, August 9 (7.30) - that will be their first of eight meetings in the space of five weeks.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:19 PM, GiveusaB said:

Ha ha... hold on to your lock nuts... red and yellow Will be the ribbons on the cup... up yours Pirates!

What was I drinking on Saturday night ??? :D:drink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

What was I drinking on Saturday night ??? :D:drink:

Not enough!!

On 7/6/2023 at 12:16 AM, szkocjasid said:

Starke & Nielsen is clearly stronger than Dan T & Joe T, but are they stronger than Dan T & Clegg? If Starke can do what he's capable of then, yes it's the strongest option, with the bonus of Bowtell at reserve!

Although not sure why such a fuss is made of Bowtell being able to get 7 rides a match, only way that will happen is injuries or a couple of top 5 riders riding poorly - not what Birmingham want. More realistically it means Bowtell can get 5 rides a match & Hagon only needing to take 3.

I remember asking this question, think Birmingham went the wrong way with their team changes. Don't know if they even considered Clegg tbh

On 6/30/2023 at 9:25 AM, szkocjasid said:

Personally I'd go with Max Clegg, as he showed at Leicester last year his scoring picked up when he dropped to reserve, which could even lead to Bowtell or Dan dropping to reserve. Especially as they have an away match at Edinburgh to re-arrange. If he doesn't improve on his Scunny form, bring back in Joe T (in time for Berwick away - where Clegg would score a 0).

I'll stick with my earlier suggestion of signing Clegg. Meaning Clegg, Bowtell or Dan T would be at reserve.

On 6/30/2023 at 9:30 AM, GiveusaB said:

Clegg rides well at PB....but I'd go with Starke if he fits.

I'd like to see Dan given a chance, but he's a Championship reserve at best, atm..... IMO!

Not sure I can see J.T coming back in to the team....he doesn't quite have it....I think Hagon is a stronger prospect (more bottle...)

I did wonder if Starke would pick up his scores after dropping to number 7. But not a great start against Redcar.

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I did wonder if Starke would pick up his scores after dropping to number 7. But not a great start against Redcar.

I think father time and numerous injuries have caught up with Starkey who along with Nielsen should be giving serious thought to hanging up their leathers so to speak.

• Like 1