British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Diamonds85

2023 National League Riders

Just starting a thread so that people can highlight and discuss the riders they'd like to see in the NL next season. Most notably the riders who are 'coming of age'

Who are they?

As far as I can tell Max James and Luke Harrison will be old enough, I'm guessing Max James to Leicester and Luke Harrison to Berwick or Oxford perhaps?

Great to see so many young talents coming through. Are the likes of Ashton Vale and the other Junior competition stars old enough for next season too?

Nearly forgot to mention Ashton Boughen (Sp?) What a rider this lad looks like he's going to be

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Just starting a thread so that people can highlight and discuss the riders they'd like to see in the NL next season. Most notably the riders who are 'coming of age'

Who are they?

As far as I can tell Max James and Luke Harrison will be old enough, I'm guessing Max James to Leicester and Luke Harrison to Berwick or Oxford perhaps?

Great to see so many young talents coming through. Are the likes of Ashton Vale and the other Junior competition stars old enough for next season too?

Nearly forgot to mention Ashton Boughen (Sp?) What a rider this lad looks like he's going to be

Ashton vale turns 15 late June next year 

• Thanks 1

Just now, phillwhitewasmad said:

Ashton vale turns 15 late June next year 

It's so hard to find info on these riders, there used to be a young lions website, but such a thing doesn't exist anymore as far as I can tell.

Ashton may be a mid season acquisition for someone then perhaps...

1 minute ago, Diamonds85 said:

It's so hard to find info on these riders, there used to be a young lions website, but such a thing doesn't exist anymore as far as I can tell.

Ashton may be a mid season acquisition for someone then perhaps...

From what I understand he's staying 250 next year with the intention of transition as the year goes on . late birthdays always make it a difficult decision for parents as whether to move up and get an average or wait till the following year. If he commits to international 250cc as well could be September before he is available.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

From what I understand he's staying 250 next year with the intention of transition as the year goes on . late birthdays always make it a difficult decision for parents as whether to move up and get an average or wait till the following year. If he commits to international 250cc as well could be September before he is available.

Tbh focusing on one category for the full year sounds like it makes the most sense. Start the 2024 from the beginning having a 3.00 average, not be frozen out on a high average because of half a year the season before.

Who else is there to look out for in the junior categories? Who do you recommend.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Tbh focusing on one category for the full year sounds like it makes the most sense. Start the 2024 from the beginning having a 3.00 average, not be frozen out on a high average because of half a year the season before.

Who else is there to look out for in the junior categories? Who do you recommend.

Staying 250 worked for us with the gradual transition to 500 before making the jump to NDL biggest problem is once you turn a wheel in 4th meeting you gain an average hence why we only did 2. Other than Ashton the only rider currently riding  I believe who will be 15 next is Sonny Springer and I'm pretty sure his birthday is after the end of the season. After that there's William Cairns and Jamie Etherington and a few who are at leat 3 years off. 

Hi Phil what's your lad doing next season full season on 500cc?  Hopefully he will a very good season, so much potential and great style.  

48 minutes ago, SSL84 said:

Hi Phil what's your lad doing next season full season on 500cc?  Hopefully he will a very good season, so much potential and great style.  

100% commitment to 500c now all 250 stuff done and dusted it's been a fantastic adventure 

29 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

100% commitment to 500c now all 250 stuff done and dusted it's been a fantastic adventure 

OK good  luck for the future Phil will he be doing anything at wolves next year?

6 minutes ago, SSL84 said:

OK good  luck for the future Phil will he be doing anything at wolves next year?

Hopefully they will want to keep him involved kid loves the place . 

22 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Hopefully they will want to keep him involved kid loves the place . 

Hope they do because I think riding there will benefit him . Love watching him ride there so smooth in style, hopefully will see you there Phil 

14 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Staying 250 worked for us with the gradual transition to 500 before making the jump to NDL biggest problem is once you turn a wheel in 4th meeting you gain an average hence why we only did 2. Other than Ashton the only rider currently riding  I believe who will be 15 next is Sonny Springer and I'm pretty sure his birthday is after the end of the season. After that there's William Cairns and Jamie Etherington and a few who are at leat 3 years off. 

All riders I've heard of, but interesting to get the point of view from someone who a lot more involved in youth racing than me, who the up and comers are.

William Cairns is going to be one hell of a rider if he continues to progress, absolutely flies around scunthorpe and he's what, 13? 14?. But please for the love of God someone teach him how to queue

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

All riders I've heard of, but interesting to get the point of view from someone who a lot more involved in youth racing than me, who the up and comers are.

William Cairns is going to be one hell of a rider if he continues to progress, absolutely flies around scunthorpe and he's what, 13? 14?. But please for the love of God someone teach him how to queue

How to queue?

Guessing Ashton Boughen will be at one of two places - Mildenhall or Oxford. Would be a huge permanent acquisition for either.

I'm hearing his older brother Kiean might also be looking for a team spot as well.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1