British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JCookie

Is the end nigh?

17 hours ago, arnieg said:

With pretty much any spectator sport fans travelling to attend must be the largest contribution to the carbon footprint.

So good to see the environmentally conscious BSPL doing all they can to reduce attendances.

Already have one track due to close because of environmental issues. Leipzig, which is situated in a forest. Used to think that sort of track was fairly safe away from peoples homes. But the local council say the nuisance a motorsport event causes to the habitat is not acceptable.

I could well think that Sweden, which i think has some similar stadia could also have problems in the future

On 11/28/2022 at 8:12 PM, JCookie said:

That's your opinion, just like I have mine, not sure why you feel the need to call it narrow minded.

I'm not old enough to have followed speedway back in the 70/80s, so I don't know what it was like back then to compare, but it's still broadly the same sport as now.

Electric speedway would be completely different. I do enjoy the noise I have to say. The smell has pretty much gone in recent years. I just enjoy that speedway is pretty much a raw motorsport and I'd rather it stayed that way. Maybe I'd change my opinion if/when it happens but I'm not sure.

Definitely the smell of castor oil has virtually gone, due to the riders using sythetic oil. I do wonder (and I did mention this somewhere else on the site), that the loss of engine noise would perhaps be replaced with crowd noise (football and rugby kind of noise), which may create a different type of atmosphere. :unsure:

Of course you have to factor in the crowds. There won't be any. Even if the average speedway supporter could afford an electric car it is  likely that electricity will be rationed. Public transport will be the only feasible alternative and that would rule me out for a start as I live too far away. The future is green, The future is for the rich only.! Poeple who go to speedway are generally not part of the affluent elite.

• Like 1