British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

SGP and SGP 2 qualifying round nominations

2 hours ago, MARK246 said:

What I would like to see is, 15 riders that have qualified to ride in the GPs through a real qualification system. 

Lambert and Fricke both tried to do this and failed. Is it right they could get wild card picks over any rider who has made the GP challenge final.

Ok, re your last statement. You name 2 riders who were in last years Challenge final in Glasgow that should be riding in this years GPs instead of Lambert and Fricke......that is do better than Lambert and Fricke.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Ok, re your last statement. You name 2 riders who were in last years Challenge final in Glasgow that should be riding in this years GPs instead of Lambert and Fricke......that is do better than Lambert and Fricke.

What has last years GP challenge final got to do with anything. Lambert and Fricke failed to qualify for the 2024 GP challenge final. 

you might as well be asking for 1 off world finals. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Depends what you want to base it on. If you want it to be the best 15 in the world then surely GP, SWC, league form and everything else should come into it too? 

Kim Nilsson deserves his place in the series as he won the challenge, however would you say he has enhanced the GP's so far? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't want him or someone of a similar standard in at the expense of anyone else better had he not won at Glasgow last year and just missed out instead. 

As per norm, that’s well summarised - Nilsson went through 3 qualifying meetings (at least, as not sure he had to do a Swedish qualifier too so possibly 4) so was well deserving of his position. This is probably the reason why the GP challenge has been moved away from a UK track.

• Thanks 1

I'd still like to see more riders in the GP series. 15 permanent riders feels too limiting and makes it difficult to get new riders in, however the qualification process is structured.

The era with 24 rider meetings obviously gave more opportunity for fresh faces, but the race format wasn't ideal.

Something different definitely needs done to help introduce new riders.

have 2 divisions with top 5 in dive 2 going up and bottom 5 div 1 going down then have a gp change for div 2. :rofl:

2 hours ago, DazS said:

have 2 divisions with top 5 in dive 2 going up and bottom 5 div 1 going down then have a gp change for div 2. :rofl:

There is potential for 4 new faces each year, 3 from Challenge, 1 from SEC. Majority of riders need more than the first year to get accustomed to the commitment needed at GP level. GPRacing is not league, it is much higher and much more intense. So my opinion is there is enough potential, need to be careful the series is not weakened by too many changes all at the same time.