British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your favourites Swedish riders (1950s-1994)

A mention too for Jan Simensen. One of so many swedes who made riding a speedway bike look like the easiest thing in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 847084 said:

A mention too for Jan Simensen. One of so many swedes who made riding a speedway bike look like the easiest thing in the world.

Recall in Tommy Jansson's biography that Jan could be somewhat of a hothead? I only saw him ride the once at Cowley.

• Like 1

Jan quickly won the fans over at Durley Wood when he arrived midway through the 1970 season. If I remember correctly his home debut included a couple of last bend overtakes to help clinch a victory over Wolves. I think Cradley were allowed to sign him to bolster a weakened team, but no sooner had he signed then Colin Pratt suffered career ending injuries at Lokeren.  I think the dark forces of rider control wouldnt allow him to return to Cradley in 1971, so he only rode a half season in the green and white.

• Like 2

Remember Eddie Davidsson at Cowley...simply awful and found it hard to negotiate the tight bends. I'm sure he was the father of Jonas and his brother who I can't recall the name?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Remember Eddie Davidsson at Cowley...simply awful and found it hard to negotiate the tight bends. I'm sure he was the father of Jonas and his brother who I can't recall the name?

Jonas and Daniel are sons of former Eastbourne rider Jan Davidsson.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Jonas and Daniel are sons of former Eastbourne rider Jan Davidsson.

...you've reminded me Jan was the brother of Eddie!

• Like 1

Bjorn Knutson was my all-time favourite rider. Retired too early of course or he would surely have won more than one world title and Ivan Mauger might not have won as many.

• Like 2

Can I put a different spin on it Tony (or perhaps less spin, more drive ) ? How about P-O Serenius, or indeed Erik Stenlund ? Brave, brave men who took on, and beat the Russians at their own game. Thoroughly nice blokes too,,

• Like 2

The vastly underated Tommy Johansson. Who could forget his pass of Ivan Mauger during the 1974 World Final. Unfortunately suffered with a blood disorder if I am correct but did pick up the 1973 Swedish Championship and who knows what he might have achieved if he had signed for King's Lynn before being "nobbled" by the Hull promotion prior to the 1975 season and picking up an injury which curtailed his career in the UK.

• Like 2

For me Peo Soderman was the first Swede I ever saw ride for my team in the '50s I think, and overnight when he came to ride for Brandon he became my favourite rider, basically because he was different, and a superb rider and nice guy as well. For some reason the various foreign riders who came to ride for the Bees seemed to hold a magical charisma, no disrespect meant to others. But by seeing and meeting these guys I realised that there really is another big bright world out there. Perhaps that was the spark that eventually set me on the way to travelling the world and my fascination with other countries and cultures. Henryk Zyto although not Swedish really sparked  my interest in other countries. I thought he was a magician from behind the iron curtain.

I suppose in a way in the '60s Gote Nordin replaced Peo for his absolute  classy  style and consistency. And then of course the great man himself, no it's not Norbold, but Ove was just pure strength  and speed, and I clearly remember standing in the pits at Long Eaton one night watching his great calmness throughout a meeting and knowing that I was, I suppose in the presence of greatness in our sport.

• Like 3