British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Belle Vue 13th April

10 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I'm sure everyone will say give em time,,,, but there isn't time. 

They have 6 months!  Playoffs are not until September.

59 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Shall we drop Emil and Hume and get two 6 pointers in then?

there’s always going to be drawbacks when building teams to a points limit, if you build more strength in depth you won’t have the same top end strength we have in Emil and Doyle, rew will improve, Hume will improve as the season goes on and Erik will be back. The biggest bummer is losing Thomas as I think he was one of the better rising stars - at this stage it seems a step too far for joe

Totally agree with all of those comments.

one defeat early on is not a disaster. The one thing I would add is that Rew needs to get the confidence to mix it on the first bend. From what I saw last night he was in a decent position on a couple of occasions going into the first bend and took the option to back of a little which cost him dearly. I think he has the speed  but has to get the elbows out on the first bend or he will struggle .Hopefully he will get this sorted sooner rather than later and he will be fine.

This team will only get better but we do need Riss back as he is a key member of the side the way it’s been built.

And I do agree Joe ,through no fault of his own is out of his depth but who would you bring in to replace him as Chris doesn’t seem keen on the obvious replacements.

I think Joe needs to have a little more time to get up to speed. One good gate in the reserves race and a win could transform his confidence

Edited by stu219
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, stu219 said:

Totally agree with all of those comments.

one defeat early on is not a disaster. The one thing I would add is that Rew needs to get the confidence to mix it on the first bend. From what I saw last night he was in a decent position on a couple of occasions going into the first bend and took the option to back of a little which cost him dearly. I think he has the speed  but has to get the elbows out on the first bend or he will struggle .Hopefully he will get this sorted sooner rather than later and he will be fine.

This team will only get better but we do need Riss back as he is a key member of the side the way it’s been built.

And I do agree Joe, through no fault of his own is out of his depth but who would you bring in to replace him as Chris doesn’t seem keen on the obvious replacements.

I think Joe needs to have a little more time to get up to speed. One good gate in the reserves race and a win could transform his confidence

Then Louis has to take the blame for Ipswich being weak at reserve! Rather than avoid stronger riders, why not work with them to improve their attitudes - if that's why they weren't signed?

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Hume received a 25% reduction, which is why he was able to fit.  Apart from one very good ride, the only BV rider he beat was Rowe in Heat 2. The senior reserve must be able to deliver more at home.

Gotta disagree with the last sentence, if it was a 5 point reserve like Jakobsen or Kerr then yes, the team has been built to score well at reserve. 

But you can't just pick a lower averaged reserve & expect him to score well just because he's stronger than the RS!

Also Ipswich wouldn't have needed so much from Hume, if they gave him a stronger reserve partner!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Then Louis has to take the blame for Ipswich being weak at reserve! Rather than avoid stronger riders, why not work with them to improve their attitudes - if that's why they weren't signed?

I run a small business and no way I would employ anyone who does not fit in  and not  be prepared to work as a team. 
Having said that none of us know the reasons why Chris went the route he did with the number 7.

I do feel though that this is the sort of team who will need a bit of time to get going . Could well be the opposite of last year when we started the league well and then fell apart at the crucial time.

even last night you had the feeling if we could stay close we would nip the win in the end but Danny’s very poor last ride put the mockers on that and he will know that I’m sure.

with the strong top end we have we just need Rew and Hume to get going and then we will be a match for anyone. Danyon has shown glimpses of what he can do but needs to do it from the first race.

7 minutes ago, stu219 said:

I run a small business and no way I would employ anyone who does not fit in and not  be prepared to work as a team. 

Having said that none of us know the reasons why Chris went the route he did with the number 7.

All I can go by was the announcement they "we're going another way / trying something new etc" I'm guessing Louis is trying to be polite & not publicise any flaws he sees in Kemp or Rowe, but the bottom line remains, he willingly picked a weaker RS (as did Belle Vue)

Edited by szkocjasid

20 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

All I can go by was the announcement they "we're going another way / trying something new etc" I'm guessing Louis is trying to be polite & not publicise any flaws he sees in Kemp or Rowe, but the bottom line remains, he willingly picked a weaker RS (as did Belle Vue)

Yes that's fair comments really we dont know everything, my personal choice would have been Rowe but both he and Kemp have been around a few years now and not seemingly made much of a step forward to perhaps something new was / is in order.

As for Hume - I feel he did ok last night - he was slung into heat 1 - he was never going to win that, he did superbly beat Bewley in heat 11, annoyingly he surrendered position or was passed by more experienced riders (delete as to your own view) in heat 14.

Before the meeting I'd have said 4-5 from him would have been a good score he got 5+1 from his programmed rides.

Edited by GeneralMelchett

Tough one next,,, tougher than Belle Vue,,, if we lose that,,, is that then enough time?  2 home defeats will be hard to come back from,, but hey ho 

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Tough one next,,, tougher than Belle Vue,,, if we lose that,,, is that then enough time?  2 home defeats will be hard to come back from,, but hey ho 

some of it depends on Riss - if he is still out then it will be difficult

Give em time,,, where has that got us over the last 25 years,,, how about trying something different, like being ruthless,,,, like the most successful teams are

Anyway,,,,nothing I can do about what happens anyway,,, so time to shut up and move on. 

Edited by Baldyman

1 hour ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Yes that's fair comments really we don't know everything, my personal choice would have been Rowe but both he and Kemp have been around a few years now and not seemingly made much of a step forward to perhaps something new was / is in order.

A few thoughts, Kemp just posted his highest ever Championship average in 2022 so can't say he didn't make a step forward (not so successful in the Prem but wasn't in an RS position).

Using their Championship averages as a guide, Rowe & Kemp could not improve, stay at around 5 & still be stronger than Joe T!

I'd say a 5 point rider is better than a 3.5 rider who ups to 4.5?

In the Champ it makes sense for Scunthorpe to sign Joe, because they have a points limit to build to, not quite the same in the Prem with the RS rule!

8 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

A few thoughts, Kemp just posted his highest ever Championship average in 2022 so can't say he didn't make a step forward (not so successful in the Prem but wasn't in an RS position).

Using their Championship averages as a guide, Rowe & Kemp could not improve, stay at around 5 & still be stronger than Joe T!

I'd say a 5 point rider is better than a 3.5 rider who ups to 4.5?

In the Champ it makes sense for Scunthorpe to sign Joe, because they have a points limit to build to, not quite the same in the Prem with the RS rule!

I am referring to their top flight performances, they do seem to be fair enough in the lower division  - I have Kemp in the Witches team in 2021 as the R/S and Rowe was at No2 . I saw Rowe ride a couple of times last season he always seems to be 'on the verge' for example at Owlerton at the back end of last year he was very on the pace but didn't score maybe 1. I just feel both should have progressed maybe a bit more.

1 hour ago, therefused said:

There must be a reason teams seem to be avoiding Kemp/Rowe...

Probably the same reason nobody wants Craig Cook or Troy Batchelor 

• Like 3