British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lisa-colette

Oxford Vs Redcar (league) 3rd May

13 hours ago, Berry9 said:

Fortythirtyeight, yourself and I am sure many others may think that the Status quo in speedway is fine yet I keep reading on this very forum how it is also a dying a sport.  There seems to be little faith in the BSPL, there seems to be little support for the guest system and at the same time so I keep reading attendances are dwindling.  I write on this forum about something that has really got under my skin and get lambasted for doing so so who am I?... I am one of those people who pays through the turnstiles to support my local  team, I have stood there watching them win the wooden spoon and watching them win the KOC.  All of sudden there's a sense of optimism around the place and  season by season we are building t feels as if the holy grail is just out of reach but achievable.  Then out of the blue towards the end of last season the whispers start spreading that Lewis Kerr and Jordan Jenkins are going to Oxford and that Jenkins despite being an asset was tapped up.  If you think that I am the only supporter outraged by this then you are surly mistaken, I must just be the only one to write about it.  To be told I owe the Oxford promotion an apology because "everyone does it" is ridiculous  because unless something is done to alter the Status quo more people will stop attending.  This Redcar Bears team with Jenkins in place of Bailey would be massively stronger and I am bitter at Oxford "cheaters"  for that 

As Ive stated, you have absolutely no idea how this sport has been run for donkeys years, and you moaning about it isn’t going to change things. I pay my money , home and away and have done since 1972 , nothings changed in all that time when it comes to the running of the sport.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Are you for real ? How do you think Redcar approach riders ? The same as everyone else you idiot !

Please educate me

John Doe currently rides for Poole and is also one of Pooles club assets .he has moved up from reserve into the main body of the team he is riding well and is fan favourite 

Redcar are team building for next season and John Doe is in their cross hairs but he is also in Poole's plans for next season and is also their club asset. 

Is there a protocol that Redcar MUST follow in these exact circumstances in order to talk to  current Poole rider and asset John Doe ? 

I applaud your 50yr+ loyalty to speedway unlike you I am fairly new so I listen to what other fans have to say and the word on the ground is that Oxford needed Redcars permission to speak with Jordan Jenkins because he is an asset.  The word on the ground  is also that the Redcar Promotion  reported Oxford to the BSPL over the issue and yet again  nothing was done, I say yet again because it seems that every year decisions are made against Redcar by the BSPL.  As a fairly new fan I get the impression that the entire British speedway world is anti Redcar 

2 hours ago, Berry9 said:

Please educate me

John Doe currently rides for Poole and is also one of Pooles club assets .he has moved up from reserve into the main body of the team he is riding well and is fan favourite 

Redcar are team building for next season and John Doe is in their cross hairs but he is also in Poole's plans for next season and is also their club asset. 

Is there a protocol that Redcar MUST follow in these exact circumstances in order to talk to  current Poole rider and asset John Doe ? 

I applaud your 50yr+ loyalty to speedway unlike you I am fairly new so I listen to what other fans have to say and the word on the ground is that Oxford needed Redcars permission to speak with Jordan Jenkins because he is an asset.  The word on the ground  is also that the Redcar Promotion  reported Oxford to the BSPL over the issue and yet again  nothing was done, I say yet again because it seems that every year decisions are made against Redcar by the BSPL.  As a fairly new fan I get the impression that the entire British speedway world is anti Redcar 

Assets mean nothing whatsoever apart from a name on a piece of paper and haven’t done for a very long time. If Redcar are offering £60 per point and Oxford are offering £65 per point, and he lives closer to Oxford, that’s where he’s going to go, he’s a young lad, they have 15-20 years if they’re lucky to make as much money as they can. Put it into the real world, if you’re a salesman and another firm offered you an extra £2 per hour, you’d probably move.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Assets mean nothing whatsoever apart from a name on a piece of paper and haven’t done for a very long time. If Redcar are offering £60 per point and Oxford are offering £65 per point, and he lives closer to Oxford, that’s where he’s going to go, he’s a young lad, they have 15-20 years if they’re lucky to make as much money as they can. Put it into the real world, if you’re a salesman and another firm offered you an extra £2 per hour, you’d probably move.

Also means a loan fee tbf and in today's climate that can be very useful. I mean KL must currently have three different loan fees going to Poole! 

3 hours ago, Berry9 said:

Please educate me

Riders are self employed. Being a club ‘ asset ‘ means nothing other than the owning club can charge another club a loan fee, a fee hundred quid, if he’s used by another club. As a self employed rider he will look for the best deal he can get , anywhere !, the rider will talk to other promoters before the season has ended to sound out his options for the next season. Doesn’t matter if his parent club want him, he will still go where he wants as the asset system has no legal standing and is only there so that the BSPL can reclaim some money if a club folds by ‘selling on’ that asset.

Promoters do exactly the same, sound out a rider before ‘officially’ approaching his owning club. There is a policy, it is ignored by all except brand new promoters till they have learnt the game.

Redcar have had a number of new promoters since the Havelock days and each has had to learn the hard way how the inner workings of the sport actually function. Yes, they have been hard done by on a number of occasions by the ‘old school’ who run the sport but you calling Oxford promoters names isn’t on, they did what is good for their business and what all other promoters do, nothing more.

Just be thankful you have a club to support who have a fantastic race track and an enthusiastic management team.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Also means a loan fee tbf and in today's climate that can be very useful. I mean KL must currently have three different loan fees going to Poole! 

The loan fee is pennies to each club, and i’m sure is now decided upon by BSPL, if everyone gave up their assets, no one would be bothered, apart from the BSPL who can sell these riders to other clubs when their clubs fold. I’d imagine quite a lot of riders these days are ‘unattached’/‘BSPL’ assets due to their parent club not existing anymore.

20 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

The loan fee is pennies to each club, and i’m sure is now decided upon by BSPL, if everyone gave up their assets, no one would be bothered, apart from the BSPL who can sell these riders to other clubs when their clubs fold. I’d imagine quite a lot of riders these days are ‘unattached’/‘BSPL’ assets due to their parent club not existing anymore.

The question of "Loan Fees" has always been contentious...there have been may examples of riders being "signed" by a particular track and immediately "loaned" out to another team without ever turning a wheel in anger for their parent team.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

The question of "Loan Fees" has always been contentious...there have been may examples of riders being "signed" by a particular track and immediately "loaned" out to another team without ever turning a wheel in anger for their parent team.

Thought they had to ride 6 meetings for them to be an asset now? 

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Pearson is a BV asset never rode a meeting for them. Well he might now in NDL but you get my meaning. Ditto Killeen is wolves asset

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

Pearson is a BV asset never rode a meeting for them. Well he might now in NDL but you get my meaning. Ditto Killeen is wolves asset

Hmm okay but in 2021 Poole got rid of Kelleher before he 'came an asset'. Maybe different rules when it is for a Prem club! Or it has changed since 2021! :D

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

2 ways to become an asset.

You get ‘ signed ‘  or you ride enough matches for the club to be automatically an asset.

6 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You get ‘ signed ‘  or you ride enough matches for the club to be automatically an asset.

I've always wondered whose asset Knudsen is. Ridden the matches for Berwick but Glasgow were involved somewhere with the paperwork. I assume Berwick but can't imagine our promotion doing it out the goodness of their hearts lol

2 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I've always wondered whose asset Knudsen is. Ridden the matches for Berwick but Glasgow were involved somewhere with the paperwork. I assume Berwick but can't imagine our promotion doing it out the goodness of their hearts lol

Prob have first dibs if Berwick don't use him! 

6 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I know that the late John Berry had some interesting views as regards "assets" which he went at lengths to outline an alternative system in his autobiography some years back. Basically, from what I recall, it was based on a "pool " system and that riders weren't owned by any one particular team?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

I think the term now is that being an asset/signed is that a team holds their Registration Papers. Hence Knudsen is on Glasgow's "books" & Pearson on Belle Vue's "books".

In the last 8-10 years I would think Poole have/had over 50 riders as assets over their halcyon days.