British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Your Favourite Danes (Pre-1995)

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Lars Munkedal...signed by Oxford with a hope of bolstering the tail end. Simply awful!

Don't know what you're complaining about. He averaged nearly three points a meeting for you!

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Don't know what you're complaining about. He averaged nearly three points a meeting for you!

...not a bad average for a second string! Couldn't cope with the Cowley  bends and considering he used to ride at Monmore Green defies any logic!

24 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...not a bad average for a second string! Couldn't cope with the Cowley  bends and considering he used to ride at Monmore Green defies any logic!

You sure? Those were still the days where second strings averaged 5-6 points a match ..

55 minutes ago, chunky said:

You sure? Those were still the days where second strings averaged 5-6 points a match ..

...I was being facetious! Einar Kyllingstad proceeded him and was equally unsuccessful but at least looked classy on a bike!

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I was being facetious! Einar Kyllingstad proceeded him and was equally unsuccessful but at least looked classy on a bike!

Okay, I hadn't really woken up when I responded! Still, that average would make him a heat leader today!

EDIT: Just checked, and I didn't realise Einar only averaged 0.63 for you. Scored 3 points in 19 rides...

Edited by chunky

16 minutes ago, chunky said:

Okay, I hadn't really woken up when I responded! Still, that average would make him a heat leader today!

EDIT: Just checked, and I didn't realise Einar only averaged 0.63 for you. Scored 3 points in 19 rides...

...I was at Swindon the afternoon he registered a full 15 point maximum for King's Lynn!

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I was at Swindon the afternoon he registered a full 15 point maximum for King's Lynn!

The only one he ever scored!

29 minutes ago, chunky said:

The only one he ever scored!

If I remember one time "Robin" Edgar Stangeland explained to him the best way to ride the track?

Les Owen - muscles - came to a sad end!

• Like 1

Niss Nielsen (not sure if I've spelt his name correctly?) who had trials with Oxford in 1974. If I recall he went on tour with the "Rebels" to the Netherlands?

On 5/11/2023 at 11:24 AM, salty said:

Predictable afraid, but as a Cradley fan i have to go with Erik and Janno. 

Erik was a Dudley Wood legend with 3 World titles under his belt, but also blessed with a lovely character which meant he was (afaik) popular with most in the sport. His accident at Odsal finished his career but in typical Erik fashion he has maintained a great outlook on life and it is good to see him still involved in the sport.

Janno took a bit longer to get to World class status but by the time of clinching his World title was clearly well deserving of the Championship. Sadly we will never know how many other titles he could have accrued as he was another who retired prematurely through injury.

Finally, special mention to Kristian Praestbro, who was, (for Dan McCormick) a fairly unsung signing from Belle Vue in 1978. Not only did he have 2 excellent point scoring seasons as a Heathen, he also played a massive role in helping Erik in his formative time at Cradley.

Great point about Kristian.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:49 AM, chunky said:

I remember a lot of the early Danes, like Godtfred Andreasen at Oxford, Erik Tilgaard (Newcastle), the Boghs, Kurt and Ernst, King's Lynn's Jan Henningsen, and Finn Thomsen's buddy at Wolves, Leif Berlin. Amazing to think that in those days, we needed a combined Norway/Denmark team as the Norwegians greatly outnumbered the Danes!

Later on, we had world-beaters like Sheffield's Flemming Rasmussen, Rene Christiansen (Eastbourne), and the worst speedway rider most of us have seen, Claes Jensen.

Surprised there is no mention of Klaus Lohmann above...

Unfortunately, we couldn't find any decent available footage of Klaus (or the others you mention), otherwise he would be on the DVD. Nice bloke - it was a pleasure to meet him in Denmark for an interview for our Memories of Halifax Speedway DVD.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyMac said:

Unfortunately, we couldn't find any decent available footage of Klaus (or the others you mention), otherwise he would be on the DVD. Nice bloke - it was a pleasure to meet him in Denmark for an interview for our Memories of Halifax Speedway DVD.

Yeah, well he wasn't really around for that long, and of course, we didn't have all the footage accessible back then. Sorry to say, most of the others were pre-Lohmann, or just too poor to receive any coverage! At least Klaus was decent...

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 12:20 PM, steve roberts said:

Was it a "coming together" with Les Owen as Owen was one who was never that well received at Cowley from what I remember in the latter years.

Yes, I think it was Les Owen who was the other rider involved in that crash. Ironically Owen later had a crash which left him paralysed down one side and with brain injuries and short term memory loss.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Split said:

Yes, I think it was Les Owen who was the other rider involved in that crash. Ironically Owen later had a crash which left him paralysed down one side and with brain injuries and short term memory loss.

I last saw Les at the British GP at Brandon four years before he passed, and it was heartbreaking to see...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1