British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Wolves June 1st

King was off the pace and struggling for Redcar the other night so the warning signs were there and I half expected a poor night from him tonight. Let’s hope it’s a blip and he hasn’t got it in his head again that there’s something wrong with his equipment that he can’t fix..

We need some sort of contribution from the rising star position. Nobody expects eye catching scores down there of course, but you want something. A change simply has to happen I’m afraid and I’m sure it will. 

Well done to Wolves, they were terrific it has to be said. They have so many that are comfortable at Foxhall and it showed again. Zach Cook outstanding. 

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Excellent reserve performance from Zach Cook.

Yes great performance, good job too as Worrall was quite poor.

2 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Excellent analysis, I hadn't thought of viewing it that way. A new careeer as a forensic accountant beckons............................................................................................

(btw I am an accountant :D)

Happily retired, but thanks for the thought!

Excellent all-round showing by Wolves with nine bonus points, six different race winners and only five last places, four of them in the first five races.

20 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

If I was the manager I’d take the captaincy of King to take the pressure off so he can concentrate on his riding…..skipper Doyle?

That would make things worse. King has been captain for years, taking it off him would just pi$$ him off. 

6 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

And King hasn't been capable of doing that for a few years ...

Riss is a big miss - Barker was never going to be any sort of replacement - another in the preferred Ipswich mould of 100% popular trier.  Hume is entertaining, and a great bloke, but not strong enough consistently to carry the reserve spot.  Would having a "better" RS make any difference?  Not really ... the RS isn't supposed to be under pressure.  Even if Ipswich were prepared to take on Rowe or Kemp - or even if either Rowe of Kemp want to ride for Ipswich - would it have made a huge difference tonight?

My view of Barker is that "he is crap". That is not because he is riding for Ipswich, I have always thought that. Facing a full strength Witches team the final result could well have have been different for the Wolves.

• Like 1

What a night for East Anglia's Premier teams!  Witches fans would normally be laughing hysterically at the result at Compost Corner ... heigh ho.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Hate to say it as the young lad is trying but we desperately need more from the number 7 berth. 

I wasn’t present tonight but by the sound of it king was on the wrong lines again?

His home form should be much better probably the only guy who has done more laps around Foxhall is his boss Mr Louis

Track was dry as a bone and after heat 8 the Wolves were gating the Witches were not!

12 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

King was off the pace and struggling for Redcar the other night so the warning signs were there and I half expected a poor night from him tonight. Let’s hope it’s a blip and he hasn’t got it in his head again that there’s something wrong with his equipment that he can’t fix..

We need some sort of contribution from the rising star position. Nobody expects eye catching scores down there of course, but you want something. A change simply has to happen I’m afraid and I’m sure it will. 

Well done to Wolves, they were terrific it has to be said. They have so many that are comfortable at Foxhall and it showed again. Zach Cook outstanding. 

He beat the home 3rd heat leader (King) twice, so as an away reserve that is pretty good (no disrespect to King).

11 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

My view of Barker is that "he is crap". That is not because he is riding for Ipswich, I have always thought that. Facing a full strength Witches team the final result could well have have been different for the Wolves.

To be fair he did what was expected of him tonight he was trying to make a pass in heat 14 (probably all too late by then) but Danyon got in his way. 

The weak spots tonight were King - you do need more from your no 3 and sadly Ipswich really need another reserve who will at least get 2-3 points, it could make all the difference.

But lets give credit to Wolves - they are certainly a decent team and will be in the playoff final in my view.

Edited by GeneralMelchett

2 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

He beat the home 3rd heat leader (King) twice, so as an away reserve that is pretty good (no disrespect to King).

He is certainly one of the reasons you won 10+3 from him was a match winning performance - twice he gated with his partner for 5-1s - ciritcal one was heat 14 - he was under a lot of presure until danyon and Ben got in eachothers way.

5 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Well listening to Craig Cook recently it’s clear that the Witches tried him first to replace Riss, it must have been clear to everyone that Barker wasn’t the answer but that’s the problem with top heavy teams, King and Riss were important to the teams success this year.

Wolves are riding well at present and now Becker is back a very solid top five especially at fortress Monmore, and with a free scoring reserve they are currently a danger to any team.

• Like 1

Kings time is up drop him now while his average is high.

Riss as much as I like him he’s got to go as well as we can’t run R/R or barker 2 points below his average. 
Them 2 would give us 13 points? GP rider maybe Lindgren? Could then could get Barker in as well as a proper number 2 to swap with Danyon at reserve

Thompson the poor lad been chucked in the deep end! Him turning up getting 0,0,0 isn’t going to improve him as a rider. Need to try something else

7 minutes ago, blue witch said:

Kings time is up drop him now while his average is high.

Riss as much as I like him he’s got to go as well as we can’t run R/R or barker 2 points below his average. 
Them 2 would give us 13 points? GP rider maybe Lindgren? Could then could get Barker in as well as a proper number 2 to swap with Danyon at reserve

Thompson the poor lad been chucked in the deep end! Him turning up getting 0,0,0 isn’t going to improve him as a rider. Need to try something else

Brady at KL says only two Ekstraliga riders allowed per Prem team ...