British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Fastest Gater?

Certainly during my era Bob Kilby took some beating when on form.

Obviously when tape touching became an offence (1984?) it tended to catch many riders out (took Erik Gundersen a good season to properly adjust) but my guess is that the likes of Ivan Mauger would make most of his starts whatever the rules in place...he just had this natural ability to make fast starts.

• Like 1

The fastest alive over the first 25 - Todd Wiltshire!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Certainly during my era Bob Kilby took some beating when on form.

Obviously when tape touching became an offence (1984?) it tended to catch many riders out (took Erik Gundersen a good season to properly adjust) but my guess is that the likes of Ivan Mauger would make most of his starts whatever the rules in place...he just had this natural ability to make fast starts.

Totally agree!

Greg Hancock from the modern era for me!

Back in the 80's at Brum (Finn Jensen) ?

25 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Totally agree!

Greg Hancock from the modern era for me!

Back in the 80's at Brum (Finn Jensen) ?

Finn was an enigma...world beater one minute and novice another. A remember when I went to Perry Barr and Eastbourne beat the "Brummies" and Finn scored 17 points (?) that night!

44 minutes ago, chunky said:

The fastest alive over the first 25 - Todd Wiltshire!

When he rode for the "Cheetahs" his gating was usually good but not as dominant as it once was.

George Hunter was definately a quick starter but he also measured up well with his team-riding abilities certainly when he was a "Cheetah".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Finn was an enigma...world beater one minute and novice another. A remember when I went to Perry Barr and Eastbourne beat the "Brummies" and Finn scored 17 points (?) that night!

Totally agree!

If he gated, he was un-catchable!

But I don't think I ever saw him go passed anyone? LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Totally agree!

If he gated, he was un-catchable!

But I don't think I ever saw him go passed anyone? LOL

...yes there were/are a few like that! I'd much rather see someone miss the gate and work their way thru'. Gordon Kennett was never the best of gaters but one of the best when it came to passing in my opinion. He used to catch out John Davis many a time!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Funnily enough, one of the fastest gaters I've ever seen is Ron Johnson, who rode in some second halves at New Cross and a few matches for Edinburgh in 1960. He was then 53 years old but still lightning fast out of the gate. The problem was he was so frail he could hardly hold his bike up and was very quickly passed by the other three riders! The reactions were there but not the strength.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

Peter Moore was regarded as one of the fastest gaters in the sport in the 1950s and early 1960s, particularly during his association with Wimbledon and Ipswich.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

Peter Moore was regarded as one of the fastest gaters in the sport in the 1950s and early 1960s, particularly during his association with Wimbledon and Ipswich.

Ray Cresp was another. Whenever Dave Lanning mentioned him in the West Ham programme, his name was always prefixed by "droll slick gating leathery faced Aussie".

• Like 1

Colin Gooddy was another cosistantly fast starter as was Ken McKinlay...long careers for both and I was fortunate to witness both as "Rebels" during my first season.

• Like 1

In my era (70’s) it would have to be Bob Kilby all day long. I seem to recall a Golden Greats meeting at Blunsdon circa 1988 and one race where you would have thought the opposition were on bicycles, Bob was  that quick, happy days.

• Like 1

Hans Nielsen surely must be up there with the best in the 80's / 90's ?  He was usually so sharp away from the gate

• Like 1