British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shadders

Admission Prices

I was watching a video on YouTube about Stoke Potters from the early 60’s. At the entrance it had “adult admission 2s 6d.” Converted to decimal and calculating for inflation, that’s £3.70 in todays money. 
The going rate for second tier speedway now  is around £20. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Shadders said:

I was watching a video on YouTube about Stoke Potters from the early 60’s. At the entrance it had “adult admission 2s 6d.” Converted to decimal and calculating for inflation, that’s £3.70 in todays money. 

Used to be 30p for me at Cowley in 1972 (12 years old) if I recall and 8p for a programme.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 10:18 PM, Shadders said:

I used to pay 2 Bob, 10p. at Highbury kids enclosure mid 60s, look at the Arse prices now!!! Speedway has got far too expensive, why very few go now. It doesn't attract the AB social class spectators that can afford season tickets at Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc., Even Surrey cricket at the Oval is 35 quid for 3 hours at the t20 blast. Are you getting ya pie n  mash delivered up there Chris? Regards Keef.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 10:40 PM, steve roberts said:

Used to be 30p for me at Cowley in 1972 (12 years old) if I recall and 8p for a programme.

Probably similar at Swindon then, the year I left school and lost interest in speedway. So thats about 3 quid now!!! I can recall that year that the cinema, football and speedway was same cost, could afford to watch Town on Saturday afternoon and Robins on same evening. And you had second-halves then, much better VFM. 20 quid at Oxford speedway now for 15 minutes racing, and 22 quid League Two football at Town. Swindon ran 37 meetings in 1979, most could afford to go every week.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Probably similar at Swindon then, the year I left school and lost interest in speedway. So thats about 3 quid now!!! I can recall that year that the cinema, football and speedway was same cost, could afford to watch Town on Saturday afternoon and Robins on same evening. And you had second-halves then, much better VFM. 20 quid at Oxford speedway now for 15 minutes racing, and 22 quid League Two football at Town. Swindon ran 37 meetings in 1979, most could afford to go every week.

Agree 100%.

• Like 1

What was a working man’s wage in the 60’s, and what would it be now using the same calculation.?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

What was a working man’s wage in the 60’s, and what would it be now using the same calculation.?

...my "working wage" at my last employment was just above the minimum/living wage entitlement.

On 6/18/2023 at 5:51 PM, auntie doris said:

also, what did it cost riders in machinery - I remember Div 2 riders in the first few years of the league riding proper lawnmowers, then they'd buy second hand from a D1 rider. Costs generally lower I wd have thought, many more semi pros then too in both divisions, my uncle worked with Norman Strachan at Southampton docks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

also, what did it cost riders in machinery - I remember Div 2 riders in the first few years of the league riding proper lawnmowers, then they'd buy second hand from a D1 rider. Costs generally lower I wd have thought, many more semi pros then too in both divisions, my uncle worked with Norman Strachan at Southampton docks

Remember "Nobbie" when he rode for the "Rebels" in 1972!

9 hours ago, ch958 said:

One of the major issues. ..

2nd Div riders in the main also worked. ..

Only the very top lads in Div 1 were full time pros....

Wilkie said he could earn much more in one night than what he earned in a week doing his "real job"...

And could do it four or five times a week..

Nowadays, Div 2 HL's are Div 1 HL's...

Hence the (far too high), cost to get iin, reflects the amount of (too many for the size of the sport), full time pros, rather than what the sport offers from an entertainment and credibilty perspective. ..

• Like 3

12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Remember "Nobbie" when he rode for the "Rebels" in 1972!

I remember him riding for Poole a year later in 1973. My first year of attending speedway was 1972. :)

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 5:45 PM, auntie doris said:

I used to pay 2 Bob, 10p. at Highbury kids enclosure mid 60s, look at the Arse prices now!!! Speedway has got far too expensive, why very few go now. It doesn't attract the AB social class spectators that can afford season tickets at Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc., Even Surrey cricket at the Oval is 35 quid for 3 hours at the t20 blast. Are you getting ya pie n  mash delivered up there Chris? Regards Keef.

Nah, it’s not the same as having in a proper pie & mash shop. 70p in the North Bank in 1975. 

• Like 1