British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

"50 Days of Speedway - Sunderland in 1964"

Just recieved my copy of the book...looks to be a fascinating read with not only speedway but the football team and memories of Roker Park and life generally in Sunderand.

• Like 1

This book is excellent. It really is a fascinating read. Proves my point 100% as to why we closed in 1964 - it had nothing to do with the weather or attendances - the reasons given by the Promoters. There are a lot of very shady things went on when Sunderland opened in 1964. A lot has come out in this book that I never new about.

A decent social history of Sunderland too.

The Author is to be congratulated on some superb research.

Edited by The White Knight
Spelling etc.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Just recieved my copy of the book...looks to be a fascinating read with not only speedway but the football team and memories of Roker Park and life generally in Sunderand.

16 hours ago, The White Knight said:

This book is excellent. It really is a fascinating read. Proves my point 100% as to why we closed in 1964 - it had nothing to do with the weather or attendances - the reasons given by the Promoters. There are a lot of very shady things went on when Sunderland opened in 1964. A lot has come out in this book that I never new about.

A decent social history of Sunderland too.

The Author is to be congratulated on some superb research.

Thank you both for your kind comments.  '50 Days of Speedway, Sunderland in 1964' by Keith Corns and Georgia Smithson is available from various outlets in Sunderland, or via Speedway PMB (https://speedway-pmb.webador.co.uk/)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chadster said:

I've ordered my copy from e-bay.

I've nearly finished my book...a good and informative read!

• Like 1

Just finished reading this book. Very enjoyable and highly recommended. It certainly doesn't pull any punches where Mike Parker is concerned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

Just finished reading this book. Very enjoyable and highly recommended. It certainly doesn't pull any punches where Mike Parker is concerned.

Ssh don't tell me how it ends :o

• Like 1