British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SpeedwayPortal

PLYMOUTH 'Gladiators' vs BERWICK 'Bandits' : Championship : 4th July 2023

1 hour ago, dave1075 said:

I remember back in the late eighties ( 88-89 ) a young Australian called Trevor O’Brien rode for Rye House. He came over to mechanic for Glenn Baxter & came into the team as a raw novice when injuries struck the Rockets. He could hardly stay on his bike through over enthusiasm & spent more time on his arse then finishing a race but Under the mentoring of Jens Rasmussen, Martin Goodwin & Baxter himself he progressed to become not only a heat leader the following season, but the No1 for the Rockets. The promotion backed him & gave him time to improve & didn’t dump him after 5 league meetings.
Trevor became a Rockets hero & was a great entertainer & loved by many supporters. Unfortunately not with us anymore Trevor was proof that a rider can come good when given time. 

Maybe in a year or so Jake Turner could become that rider who improves & makes it with time. Only problem is Promoters these days are narrow minded & blinkered. They want instant fixes & are not prepared to give these young lads either British or Commonwealth time to settle in & throw them in at the deep end.

Not everyone can be a Tai Woffinden, Dan Bewley, or  Robert Lambert.

I was a big fan of Trevor O'Brien

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

agree riders are  of given much of a chance if they don’t hit the ground running at the start of a season.The sport has been run into the ground and consumed by constant lowering of the averages in an attempt to save money which doesn’t seemed to have made any difference.IMO.

Be good if young Turner got into National League 

But am I correct saying he gets 9 point average   That won't help 

4 hours ago, Michel said:

Only because he spent so much time on his backside, I think he was just about to come good. Without crashes his average would’ve been a fair bit higher 

2 minutes ago, Spittaler said:

I've not seen any of Turner's races so can't comment on of he was likely to come good, can only point out Plymouth are stronger with Pearson.

It would make sense for Turner to have a go in the NL (I believe it's an 8.00 ave as that is what Hook & Pearson got signed on) I don't know if it's true, but I previously read Plymouth blocked Turner from signing for a NL side, which makes no sense to me - could only see that helping his scores for Plymouth.

9 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I've not seen any of Turner's races so can't comment on of he was likely to come good, can only point out Plymouth are stronger with Pearson.

It would make sense for Turner to have a go in the NL (I believe it's an 8.00 ave as that is what Hook & Pearson got signed on) I don't know if it's true, but I previously read Plymouth blocked Turner from signing for a NL side, which makes no sense to me - could only see that helping his scores for Plymouth.

I believe he has to start on a 9.00 in the NDL which I think will be hard to achieve but hopefully someone will give him a shot. I certainly don’t think Turner is the next Darcy Ward but in his home country he’s always been tipped to become the next Bradley Wilson Dean. I’m saying that he’s already been called the next George Congreve though so who knows what’s next for him. He’s already 26. 

34 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I've seen him on four different tracks this season. Looked most at home on the Isle of Wight. Think he'd be a decent signing on 8.00 for (say) Berwick.

46 minutes ago, Spittaler said:

I believe it would be 4.00 (his Championship average) x 2 = 8.00.

So basically Turner needs a CL team to get a NL place (and since Plymouth stopped him joining NL sides hes stuffed now). Turner also gets lumbered with a 9.00. That is unless he is now classed as having an established average in the CL then he can sneak in on an 8.00 like Pearson and Hook did......clear as mud right. 

013.2 RIDER MATCH AVERAGES AND GRADINGS

Riders in the National League must hold an ACU licence and an SCB Registration.

a) New riders with a British Passport will enter the NDL on a 3.00 MA Speedway Control Bureau Regulations 126

b) Commonwealth riders new to British Speedway that do not require a CoS (ancestry rights) will enter on a 4.50 MA

c) Commonwealth riders new to British Speedway that do require a CoS will enter on a 9.00 MA and will be required to be included in a Championship Team Declaration

d) Commonwealth riders with an established average in either the Premiership or Championship League, with less than 50 matches recorded on the official BSP Green sheets, can be included on their converted MA. Any Commonwealth rider who has participated in 50 or more official Green Sheet matches, at time of declaration, is ineligible.

How does the must have a CL team place rule work then... Because George Congreve rides in the NL as a Kiwi but doesn't have a CL spot?

12 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

How does the must have a CL team place rule work then... Because George Congreve rides in the NL as a Kiwi but doesn't have a CL spot?

English Grandparents

20 minutes ago, StevePark said:

English Grandparents

I know that but he rides as a Kiwi doesn't he? Fair enough if he rides as a Brit... So surely if he's riding as a Kiwi he must need a CL spot too?

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

agree riders are  of given much of a chance if they don’t hit the ground running at the start of a season.The sport has been run into the ground and consumed by constant lowering of the averages in an attempt to save money which doesn’t seemed to have made any difference.IMO.

The main reason a rider gets dropped these days is down to the spectators complaining asking for changes …at least they are keeping trigger for the moment and giving him the experience. 

41 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

I know that but he rides as a Kiwi doesn't he? Fair enough if he rides as a Brit... So surely if he's riding as a Kiwi he must need a CL spot too?

http://www.mildenhall-speedway.com/index.php/latest-news/277-two-national-champions-sign-for-fen-tigers

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

Nowhere in the rules does it say commonwealth riders must be riding in the CL to be able to ride in the NDL 

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

So basically Turner needs a CL team to get a NL place (and since Plymouth stopped him joining NL sides hes stuffed now). Turner also gets lumbered with a 9.00. That is unless he is now classed as having an established average in the CL then he can sneak in on an 8.00 like Pearson and Hook did......clear as mud right. 

a) New riders with a British Passport will enter the NDL on a 3.00 MA Speedway Control Bureau Regulations 126

b) Commonwealth riders new to British Speedway that do not require a CoS (ancestry rights) will enter on a 4.50 MA

c) Commonwealth riders new to British Speedway that do require a CoS will enter on a 9.00 MA and will be required to be included in a Championship Team Declaration

d) Commonwealth riders with an established average in either the Premiership or Championship League, with less than 50 matches recorded on the official BSP Green sheets, can be included on their converted MA. Any Commonwealth rider who has participated in 50 or more official Green Sheet matches, at time of declaration, is ineligible.

c above (c what i did there)

assuming CoS is Certificate of Sponsorship and NL teams can't hold these.......

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Turner doesn't qualify for option C or D, he's not "new" to British Speedway anymore, also doesn't have an "established" average!

Edited by szkocjasid