British Speedway Forum
Najjer

Survival of The Premiership?

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

If i personally owned/leased a track im darned if i would promote a speedway team from it. Id keep it solely as a practice venue, private hire and allow amateur meetings to run on it. Everyone of those events sees riders turn up with £40-50 to willingly hand over and have very limited expectations of what is required for their money. 

Contrast that with a being a promotor who has to pay riders to attend, then put up with the list of diva grumbles about the track, weather, pit bay lighting levels and square meterage not being to everyone exact liking, then often watch riders under perform or deliver questionable effort and then have to pay them again at the end. 

Take the two business plans to the bank managed and see what they have to say

A few years ago I thought 'how would I run a speedway track'.

The model was based around regular open practice sessions, individual meetings (multiple classes, with riders paying to enter) and perhaps some amateur team meetings for variety, and if there was demand from my customers.

My customers would be competitors, who would be club members (as with most sporting clubs). I might 'promote' a couple of pro meetings a year to raise the profile and give my club members something to aspire to, and to try and brings some additional revenue in.

Don't think it would be allowed due to the BSPA cartel.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, steve roberts said:

An interesting analogy. I went to two Wembley Bowls (American Football) and there were so many stoppages (Televised live back in the States so adverts were a priority) and although the players remained on the pitch and there was a continual "circus" being acted out on the off-field I grew tired of it all. Prefered to watch the edited highlights of a game.

To take the "analogy" further if "dead time" in football constitutes a degree of entertainment value then one could argue that the messing around before a race (digging of heels and toes etc) and the returning to the pits after a false start to have clutches cooled/adjusted would equally add to the tension etc but fans, of course, often decry that behaviour which amounts to not pleasing everyone all of the time.

7 hours ago, truthsayer said:

Curious to understand why you think promoters are greedy. I'd suggest most, if not all, are losing money. If I was out to make a quick buck, speedway would be the last thing I'd think about.

I will change that to short sighted promoters who need to wake up and smell the coffee

• Like 2

Blimey, I knew it was bad and hence starting this thread - but it’s even more of a mess than I had first expected!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Blimey, I knew it was bad and hence starting this thread - but it’s even more of a mess than I had first expected!

Dont agree....

It was all going great until you started this thread..

Your fault all this.:D...

• Haha 7

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Dont agree....

It was all going great until you started this thread..

Your fault all this.:D...

I cleaned the toilets and cut the grass earlier at home, so wind yer’ neck in… nothing to do with me!

• Haha 2

Thought of a new initiative this morning - ‘The Holiday KO Cup’ 

Riders who work so hard for our entertainment should be granted at least 3 riders to go on holiday for these matches for some time off and be replaced by guests during the season. I can really see this one catching on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

Speedway in the U.K. has been broken for years, decades in fact, every year I think it can’t get any worse and it always does. Expectations need to be dramatically lowered, Speedway in the U.K. needs to be semi professional/amateur racing to survive as a sport instead of putting a sticking plaster on it every November.

Along with the caption of “use it or lose it, so therefore prices are now going to be £25 to get in” more than likely….

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Najjer said:

Along with the caption of “use it or lose it, so therefore prices are now going to be £25 to get in” more than likely….

No brakes.

No gears.

No effort.

Use it or lose it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

Speedway in the U.K. has been broken for years, decades in fact, every year I think it can’t get any worse and it always does. Expectations need to be dramatically lowered, Speedway in the U.K. needs to be semi professional/amateur racing to survive as a sport instead of putting a sticking plaster on it every November.

Spot on. Will there be a change? i very much doubt it, the clowns running the sport haven’t the ability to change things, they will keep plodding on until it drops dead in front of them and blame everyone but themselves. Dopey Godfrey is completely useless and couldn’t run a drinking competition in a brewery. 

6 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

But Mick...

Surely EVERY stakeholder involved has been able to see that for years..? 

Tens of thousands of fans, who still visit now and again, and still follow the sport very closely, have "spoken" by the very fact they no longer attend regularly as they simply see it all as "Mickey Mouse" contrived nonsense.. 

When will "enough be enough" before the message sinks in? 

Never really got the no brakes no gears,,, no brakes,,, cos the don't need em,, no gears,,, and? Makes it sound like an auto,,, I take it its meant to make it sound scary for those that are new to it 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

But Mick...

Surely EVERY stakeholder involved has been able to see that for years..? 

Tens of thousands of fans, who still visit now and again, and still follow the sport very closely, have "spoken" by the very fact they no longer attend regularly as they simply see it all as "Mickey Mouse" contrived nonsense.. 

When will "enough be enough" before the message sinks in? 

There’s none so blind as those that can’t see. Sadly.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

There’s none so blind as those that can’t see. Sadly.

I'm not sure they are blind, it's more like they are in survival mode.

But the stakeholders are too invested in it. What do they do?

There are too many stakeholders, all struggling to stay afloat. They can't rescue the ship when they're struggling to stay alive themselves.

So they just try to run it as 'less bad' as they can.

It needs a blank sheet, a whole new start. It also needs to be amateur, or at best semi-professional. It needs a product developed for the competitor, not (just) the spectator.

They're all too invested in it as it is. So it is a managed decline.