British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

British GP Cardiff Saturday 2nd September

1 hour ago, Moonfish said:

Great GP weekend.

Cardiff has so much to keep you entertained outside of the GP. We spent time in the Bay (Techniquest is great if you've got little ones), City Centre is full of things to do (Fan Park. Shops, Castle etc), but all of that is of course secondary to the main event.

Hats off to the organisers, that was a really good GP, crucially with the track much improved. It delivered some decent racing, with a couple of different lines working from early doors, and whilst some gates were preferable you really could win from any of them which kept things interesting.

Yes, attendance was down, but the stadium still generated a top atmosphere, and I won't lie I quite liked not queueing to get in, or for food or the toilets so if people want to stay away again next year I couldn't give a monkeys, if it's in Cardiff again I'm 100% returning!

Totally agree with all of that, thoroughly enjoyed it and great weather to boot !

• Like 5

After a few years of UTTER DROSS at Cardiff (as evidenced by the crowd size), last night was much improved and it seems like they have survived the last chance saloon, to go again next year!

Hopefully it will be even better next year and not back to what we had suffered previously!!

Well done to Vaculik, he could be the main challenger to BS for the title next season (unless the Ruskies are back of course!)

• Like 2

A brilliant day. Monster really know how to put on a show in the fanzone. 

Loved the racing too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FAST GATER said:

I think that's harsh  the track held up much better than last year  ,IMO Cardiff often gives the less favourable riders a real chance of winning a GP and with the roof is guaranteed to be on .

The rider of the night  without doubt was  Holder ( just can't warm to the fellow myself )   my worry with him is he has to ride beyond himself IMO at times   to beat Bart , I think that Tai was under huge pressure from Bart when he came to grief.

Even on a poor night by his standards  he is the one they all fear people go on about him having all the luck but as Gary Player the golfer said "the more I practise the luckier I get " , imagine what he could do if he gated more often  rather than having to do it the hard way !

Not harsh at all.  Look at the crowd and that tells you all to know.  People are sick of the rubbish that place serves up.  Belle Vue MUST stage this event next year.  Cardiff is pants.  I hate it.

• Haha 1

Excellent advert for speedway, some great racing. Didn't go this year, was in v.i.p. section last year, but was poor track and racing, the day saved with Bewley winning. Will probably go next year, have been 10 times, after watching this year's on Eurosport, if trains are running, hate the drive there and back. If all meetings were like this speedway wouldn't be in doldrums.Well done Vaculik, great effort Holder. Unlucky Anders Rowe, Wootton Bassett lad and ex-Swindon number 8, second then e.f.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, chunky said:

You know; tonight could be the start of a turnover. Obviously, Batsh!t Smarslick looks good for another title, but it depends on how Tia Wolfinden is able to bounce back from injury. Still the future of British speedway looks promising in the hands of Den Bowley and Rod Limpet.

The Danes have not replaced Nikki Peterson, and Len Madman is struggling at the moment. The Aussies look well served by Mick Fruck and Jock Hellfire.

We just need some new riders whose names are easier for speedway fans to spell. Not that spelling seems to be important these days...

At least Vacuumlick won, Paddy Dalek, Magic Falloffski, and Batty Arselick missing out. Good commentary from Spotty Pickles, Greg Hardcock, and Kelvin Tatter.

Edited by auntie doris

32 minutes ago, R87 said:

Not harsh at all.  Look at the crowd and that tells you all to know.  People are sick of the rubbish that place serves up.  Belle Vue MUST stage this event next year.  Cardiff is pants.  I hate it.

You will be out of luck ! 

The principality has a roof, the NSS doesn’t, it’s rains a lot in Manchester ! 

If you consider Cardiff “pants”’ then don’t go, attendance isn’t compulsory you know. 

What a great day out, absolutely loved it. Well done Cardiff.

• Like 4

Good meeting, especially after last year's showing. Well done to Vaculik and a superb effort from Holder considering the obvious pain he was in. Only a matter of time before he wins a GP and I think he'll move up a level when he does. 

Unfortunate for Woffinden, hope he makes a quick recovery. 

• Like 3

Went last year, track not good but Bewley made my night.  Didn't go this year partly because of  trains on strike and partly because of funds.  I watched on TV and it looked good will be there next year definitely.  I do wish people would stop being so negative, things change but life goes on if we love speedway start getting behind it whether its good or bad and perhaps good times may come again with a bit more support verbally.

Edited by hammer1969
spelling
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Went last year, track not good but Bewley made my night.  Didn't go this year partly because I'd trains on strike and partly because of funds.  I watched on TV and it looked good will be there next year definitely.  I do wish people would stop being so negative, things change but life goes on if we love speedway start getting behind it whether its good or bad and perhaps good times may come again with a bit more support verbally.

Yep, strange how a few moaners like to see speedway struggling??!! Its a great sport lets support it if we can. Lost a bit of interest when my local track at Swindon closed, was walking distance.

• Like 6

There is a lot of Tai bashing on here, but he is what the sport needs. We are missing those gobby crowd pleasers in domestic speedway. He knows how to get the crowd going and has a lot of support in a live environment.

• Like 8