British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Sheffield v Ipswich Monday July 10th Live on Eurosport

17 minutes ago, truthsayer said:

Often people who are shy and introverted come across as aloof and arrogant. Just saying...

If that's the case, he shouldn't be a team manager and motivator ...

1 hour ago, pleasureboy60 said:

Couldn't agree more. Face like a whores fanny

seems a tad harsh really, not seen the match yet will watch the highnlights later today, perhaps they should interview some fans after a meeting, particularly a defeat, and see what their faces and comments are like!!

1 hour ago, truthsayer said:

The style of Eurosport's production essentially needs five 'talents': presenter, commentator, analyst, interviewer/reporter and co-commentator.

I think all the guys they use are ok and have a role to play. However they, understandably, don't have five team members and that means they have to take on multiple roles, which is where it falls down for me. Abi is a good presenter, Tatum is a co-commentator or analyst, and is pretty much interchangeable with Nicholls and Louis. British TV speedway really misses the talents of Nigel Pearson, who could fill pretty much any of those roles, and also Natalie Quirk, who could present and report equally well.

For me the team is just not right. Tatum and (either) Nicholls or Louis are a bit too one-dimensional to fill multiple roles. If it was football style, with a panel of three analysts, they'd be great, but none of them are presenters, reporters or lead commentators.

I agree Kelvin could have a role to play, but in a pared down team it doesn't work for me. It was hard as it was thrust upon him, when Nigel died, but I just don't see him getting better. Does he not get coaching, study others or reflect on his performances and work to improve? The thing about great commentators is that they know their stuff and have an encyclopaedic knowledge (usually carrying a big folder around with them). He just seems to phone his commentary in. 

Got to bear in mind that none of those are techncially media trained - I know I could never be a commentaor or presenter - I still feel Tatum misses his mate Nige a new lead commentaor with taum as the Co is needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RideHard said:

Watched it on tv tonight couldn’t risk another 10 heats rain off shambles. 
Firstly hope Kerr is ok he looked in some pain, can’t afford to have him out the team for long. 

Holder, Sayfutdinov on top form both looked so fast, Emil really enjoys owlerton and don’t think anyone in world could have passed him tonight once he was in front. Rest of the team all chipped in all deserved credit. Tatum saying Ellis fell with no contact I think there was some but was a hard call for the ref.

Doyle probably worst showing at Owlerton for a long time just wasn’t his night. Highlight of the night was Hawkins miserable face getting interviewed 

play offs all but secure for Sheffield?

Can't not see the Tigers in the playoffs to be fair, as for Emil - with Holder he probably couldn't be fitted in but image him at Owlerton if he rides in the UK in 2024 and the premiership survives into 2024+

13 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Got to bear in mind that none of those are techncially media trained - I know I could never be a commentaor or presenter - I still feel Tatum misses his mate Nige a new lead commentaor with taum as the Co is needed.

But why are they not trained? Training and mentoring is available, and it's not as if this is their first year - that's why I am so unforgiving.

It's a tough job, but it's a tough world. If someone's not good enough at something then they need to get better or get out. A lot like professional sport, it's a competitive world in media. I know, because I work in it, but the apathy and the lack of improvement from some of the talent is what really winds me up. It doesn't need to be that way. I understand ex-riders are not natural media professionals, but they've made that career change and need to get good at it. As riders they always aimed to get better but I really don't feel that they approach media work in the way they would have approached their racing careers and that offends me, as someone who works damned hard to be good at my job and to continuously develop at what I do. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, truthsayer said:

But why are they not trained? Training and mentoring is available, and it's not as if this is their first year - that's why I am so unforgiving.

It's a tough job, but it's a tough world. If someone's not good enough at something then they need to get better or get out. A lot like professional sport, it's a competitive world in media. I know, because I work in it, but the apathy and the lack of improvement from some of the talent is what really winds me up. It doesn't need to be that way. I understand ex-riders are not natural media professionals, but they've made that career change and need to get good at it. As riders they always aimed to get better but I really don't feel that they approach media work in the way they would have approached their racing careers and that offends me, as someone who works damned hard to be good at my job and to continuously develop at what I do. 

As far as I am concerned I don't necessarily disgaree with you but all of this is somewhat subjective - some 'professional commentators' irritate me and some don't - I was always a big fan of people like Barry Davies who said a little as possible and let the action do the talking for them.

I still feel tho that Tatum is floundering somewhat as he needs a lead commentator a professional like Nige and they havent either found him one or don't intend to, altho clearly he doesn't irritate me as much as some!

The presenter Abi - is ok for me, we have had better in that role but we have also had worse. Nicholls does a decent job summarising and as the 'expert' analysis.

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Emil's backwheel goes into Adam's clutch hand so he has to let go of the handlebar,which flips up the number 1 on Emils bike cover,you can see it clearly on the head on replay just as Kelvin says the door was wide open.

Yes there was definitely contact not sure if it was enough to impact Adams fall but we don’t get those decisions go our way as in last years final. Good meeting and the track held up well after all the rain we’ve had recently. Some good racing and the meeting remained interesting throughout with the bonus point been up for grabs. Emil is quality and hope he’s back in GP next year. Apparently Lewis has snapped his collar bone so expect RR   Needs to be back if he drops to reserve in august or we may struggle to replace him 

14 hours ago, OldtimerRay said:

Trying to come across as hard for the tv cameras but just looks a miserable tw4t

Agreed, looks a right dildo whenever I've seen him on TV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, truthsayer said:

The style of Eurosport's production essentially needs five 'talents': presenter, commentator, analyst, interviewer/reporter and co-commentator.

I think all the guys they use are ok and have a role to play. However they, understandably, don't have five team members and that means they have to take on multiple roles, which is where it falls down for me. Abi is a good presenter, Tatum is a co-commentator or analyst, and is pretty much interchangeable with Nicholls and Louis. British TV speedway really misses the talents of Nigel Pearson, who could fill pretty much any of those roles, and also Natalie Quirk, who could present and report equally well.

For me the team is just not right. Tatum and (either) Nicholls or Louis are a bit too one-dimensional to fill multiple roles. If it was football style, with a panel of three analysts, they'd be great, but none of them are presenters, reporters or lead commentators.

I agree Kelvin could have a role to play, but in a pared down team it doesn't work for me. It was hard as it was thrust upon him, when Nigel died, but I just don't see him getting better. Does he not get coaching, study others or reflect on his performances and work to improve? The thing about great commentators is that they know their stuff and have an encyclopaedic knowledge (usually carrying a big folder around with them). He just seems to phone his commentary in. 

Is Steve Brandon still around? Used to keep the show together, something he has huge experience of. And could stick his microphone into riders faces and get interviews because they respected him. 

32 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Is Steve Brandon still around? Used to keep the show together, something he has huge experience of. And could stick his microphone into riders faces and get interviews because they respected him. 

Yes, he's still around but not working in speedway any more. Great guy, met him a few times when he was working on other sports. More a behind the scenes guy (and very good at what he does) but an excellent interviewer too. Would be a good addition to the team, but wouldn't solve the commentary.

• Like 1

Well I have just watched the full replay - decent meeting I felt - presentation and commentary were better than in previous weeks - I feel Scott was paired well with Kelvin and it improved things - I think some of you just like complaining for complainings  sake! 

one feature I really do like is the highlights from the other meeting segments. 

as for Hawkins  - his arms folded is a defensive posture as he clearly isn’t comfortable being on camera. Not being a natural in front of the camera is hardly the worst crime for I suspect a voluntary position  - and with some of the wallopers on here and their comments I can well understand it! 

If there was nothing to complain about some would complain! 

great meeting for Josh Pickering he has been good since joining.

But - take a bow Emil - great riding the true master of Owlerton - nice to see warm congratulations between him and Musielak after their races! 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, michanekman said:

I don't think the main presenter is very good at all - I am sure she is a lovely person but most of her presentation is just fluff. Her questions are schoolgirlish at best. Like you say Tatum is no journalist and his research is lacking big-time ... it all smacks of being done on the cheap. Which sums up British Speedway very nicely. 

It's Eurosport though not British Speedway, presumably the viewing figures and/or the financial climate have prompted a review of their coverage and it appears this season it's being very much done to a budget.

On the basis that any TV income is better than no TV income I doubt the BSPL would get the gloves on about this even if they were bothered about it

• Like 1

they had choice of gate heat 15, picked 1-3, won the toss for super heat picked 2-4, then Hawkins says yes gate 3 rubbish all night.:icon_smile_clown:

2 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

as for Hawkins  - his arms folded is a defensive posture as he clearly isn’t comfortable being on camera. Not being a natural in front of the camera is hardly the worst crime for I suspect a voluntary position  - and with some of the wallopers on here and their comments I can well understand 

I only commented on Hawkins demeanour as I wondered if he was the same off camera as he is on it, he doesn't come across as inspirational but then neither does Pete Adams yet most people speak very highly of him, quite rightly as he's got a proven track record