British Speedway Forum
Petecc

Birmingham v Glasgow 12/07/23

11 hours ago, Najjer said:

Utter rubbish - regardless of whose fault it was, you put on a sub standard product then you can’t expect people to pay for it… and if you do expect that, don’t expect them to return in the future, which has for a long time been speedway’s biggest issue. 

I myself provide a service to my customers on a daily service and if I provided a poor product or service, then I wouldn’t expect people to pay me just because it might mean my business would close. It’s down to me to keep my customer’s happy.

Couldn't have put it any better myself. It seems many promotions Habe the attitude of "turn up or you'll lose it" rather than providing an exciting product, offering value for money & budgeting expenses based on crowd levels!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Douglas (9.29) & Harris (9.28) both just above the home bonus unfortunately for Birmingham. Charles Wright would be a good guest for next week.

Wright ??? No way!

King is a much better choice...so is Cook . (IMO)

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

You'd think it would work better the other way around, the SCB will never get that fine as even if Bird wanted to return, he wouldn't pay a fine now & hope in two years he's still keen. If it was ban first then pay fine, there's a bigger chance Bird (or any rider) might fancy giving it another go?

Didn't Michael Lee have to pay an outstanding fine when he wanted to return to Poole back in the late 80's or early 90's?

If he does get fined, then from that fine, the SCB should give us fans our entrance fee back !

12 hours ago, Cast1rn said:

I'll start by saying I have no idea on the rules on the drugs testing that takes place within speedway but i have read somewhere that it's the WADA (apologies if I have the abbreviation incorrect ) system that they follow. Now again as a bit of a boxing fan I understand how strict this can be and how simple cough medicines containing codine can flag up as a positive test. Now my two points I'd like to make.

I worked in an industry where we could be randomly tested on a regular basis and any medication we were on or had been on as long as we had the doctors prescription for it then it was fine is it the same in speedway?

My second point, I understand how certain performance enhancing drugs could cause boxers to have an unfair advantage but what exact advantage could a rider have I can't think of or is it recreational drugs that the sports governing body don't want involved with the sport in any way shape or form?

I think with Speedway it is less the performance enhancing element and more the overall safety of all riders..........if one were on prescribed medications, it may alter perception / reaction, which in racing as close as speedway is a safety concern for all riders.

Definitely have more sympathy for the 'clean' riders, who have either been cheated out of earnings, or had their safety put at risk by the cheats, and that's exactly what they are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, K7KDD said:

I think with Speedway it is less the performance enhancing element and more the overall safety of all riders..........if one were on prescribed medications, it may alter perception / reaction, which in racing as close as speedway is a safety concern for all riders.

Totally agree what you're saying... but there's a comparison to be drawn there with riders riding injured, the most recent example being Erik Riss riding with blurred vision and "brain fog". There's the mandatory concussion rule but riders have ridden down the years with broken legs and collar bones etc. which must impair their ability on a bike

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

Totally agree what you're saying... but there's a comparison to be drawn there with riders riding injured, the most recent example being Erik Riss riding with blurred vision and "brain fog". There's the mandatory concussion rule but riders have ridden down the years with broken legs and collar bones etc. which must impair their ability on a bike

Brings me back to my old bug bear - if a rider withdraws midway through a meeting through injury should he be permitted to ride the following evening?

5 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Brings me back to my old bug bear - if a rider withdraws midway through a meeting through injury should he be permitted to ride the following evening?

It's funny isn't it that a rider has to provide a medical certificate when missing a match through illness/injury but, as far as I know, don't have to produce one when returning from injury

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

You'd think it would work better the other way around, the SCB will never get that fine as even if Bird wanted to return, he wouldn't pay a fine now & hope in two years he's still keen. If it was ban first then pay fine, there's a bigger chance Bird (or any rider) might fancy giving it another go?

a club might pay it to get them racing for them!

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Didn't Michael Lee have to pay an outstanding fine when he wanted to return to Poole back in the late 80's or early 90's?

Seem to recall it was a Mexican standoff like this that kept Michael Lee away for so long before he made a comeback in the early 90s - it was Kings Lynn

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Skid said:

Definitely have more sympathy for the 'clean' riders, who have either been cheated out of earnings, or had their safety put at risk by the cheats, and that's exactly what they are.

Not sure 'cheat' is the right terminology ? unless the banned substance is classed as a performance enhancer ?

i.e weed/coke etc.... would impede has opposed to improve?

So, I'd class the culprit as 'irresponsible' ?

However, I guess there could be an arguement,  for the fact that getting banned, Morris cheated fans out of £20 on Wednesday ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Not sure 'cheat' is the right terminology ? unless the banned substance is classed as a performance enhancer ?

i.e weed/coke etc.... would impede has opposed to improve?

So, I'd class the culprit as 'irresponsible' ?

However, I guess there could be an arguement,  for the fact that getting banned, Morris cheated fans out of £20 on Wednesday ?

Agree on the irresponsible/idiotic on his part, I can't really see how any performance enhancer would benefit a speedway rider.

16 hours ago, Justsaying said:

So pleased that my fellow Monarch has decided not to request a refund for the stream issues. I think it was the Monarchs who were first to introduce streaming and I thought this will be good as it gives a vital source of income. When streaming was extended to other clubs I thought that it would be a good way to give support to clubs struggling financially and Newcastle were the club I was thinking about. I understand that Birmingham are having to rely on individuals to keep them afloat. How about we "promote" as many as possible signing up for a particular Birmingham match being streamed, regardless of who it is against, and give them a financial boost? Surely we can get 1,000 at £11.99 which might be the £11,990 that will go towards keeping them afloat. It is too late for Newcastle, let`s help Birmingham and possibly we can "save" others going forward. Alternatively we can do nothing and we know the consequences for speedway.

But I am not doing 'nothing', I am paying Birmingham Speedway £11.99 most matches to help them - the least I deserve (if not a refund, which I am not bothered about tbh) is an apology and someone to reply to my emails? No doubt they will be 'frustrated' (the in-word for all Birmingham officials these days) when the crowd and streaming revenue diminishes ever further in the weeks ahead. 

13 minutes ago, michanekman said:

But I am not doing 'nothing', I am paying Birmingham Speedway £11.99 most matches to help them - the least I deserve (if not a refund, which I am not bothered about tbh) is an apology and someone to reply to my emails? No doubt they will be 'frustrated' (the in-word for all Birmingham officials these days) when the crowd and streaming revenue diminishes ever further in the weeks ahead. 

How is this even a debate? If the stream doesn't work, of course you should get a refund. I know some people will take the stance that Birmingham need every penny, etc., but requesting a refund for a broken stream isn't going to keep them going! What might just keep them afloat is good customer service. They should be refunding customers (and apologising) for the issues immediately. Then they'll eventually reap the rewards of that customer coming back and buying the stream again another day, and the day after that, and the day after that. Keep customers happy, and they'll spend money again on another occasion. Upset them, and they probably won't. Simples.

Edited by BackInTheDHSS
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, eide67 said:

I watched the stream last night as there was no stream at Oxford where my team was riding. I didn't get full access until heat 9 but I must say the entertainment in those last 7 heats was better than a lot of full matches I've watched this season.  I've since watched the whole match using the 'rewind' function and it also included most of the previous year's match against Glasgow. I also got a reply to my email about the problem. I definitely feel I got value for the £11.99 I paid and won't be asking for a refund.

I watch a lot of speedway using streaming services and most, if not all, run into technical problems now and again. It's usually outwith their control and they try their best to sort the situation as quickly as possible. I'm just happy I can see so much speedway these days - I'm old enough to remember having to wait until the following morning to buy a Daily Mirror to find out how your team got on the previous night.

Be more like eide67 haha!

Thats really good to hear