British Speedway Forum
Petecc

Birmingham v Glasgow 12/07/23

British summertime don’t you just love it.

9 minutes ago, Petecc said:

Will this meeting beat the weather?

Mibbees aye mibbees naw . Hope it does , its a wee bit ex Tigers v present Tigers get together with Morris , Sedgmen , Starke and the glorious team manager versus the present septet living the dream . It's a stronger looking septet for Birmingham , than the one that embarrassed themselves against Edinburgh , probably be a lot closer than that sorry night 

• Like 1

From the club website :-

BIRMINGHAM return to Perry Barr on Wednesday (July 12, 7.30) - and they’re looking to make it back-to-back home wins when they take on Glasgow.

The Curtis Sport Brummies beat Berwick last time out in the second city as they triumphed in front of their home supporters for the first time this year.

It was a huge result which saw them leapfrog from the bottom of the table up into the play-off places on a much-needed morale boosting night for all involved.

Team Manager Stewart Dickson has made two further changes to his side since that result though.

Stefan Nielsen returns to the side following a period on the sidelines with a broken bone in his foot while 2014 team member Paul Starke returns to the Club for a second stint.

Those changes also allow the in-form Alfie Bowtell to drop to reserve and Dickson reckons that, along with a good turnout from the Brummies’ faithful, could play a big part in the outcome against the Scottish Tigers.

“Alfie has been riding really well and to have the option of using him up to seven times, should I need to, is a big bonus for sure,” Dickson said.

“That was an added plus that came from the changes we decided to make and I think it gives the team a real balance throughout now also.

“I’ve read comments about how some people have been staying away from Perry Barr because of how understrength they felt the team was - well let me put it like this, I expect to see those people back in the stadium on Wednesday supporting Birmingham Speedway.

“Fair play to Nigel (Tolley - CEO) because he’s put his money where his mouth is, he’s allowed me to make the changes I felt would make us a much more competitive team and with the way the two teams are lining up, I think we’re in for a cracker against Glasgow.

“Again, I’m under no illusions of how tough this will be because for me, they’re one of the top teams in the Championship - they haven’t lost a league fixture yet so that tells you plenty.

“But we’ve strengthened up even more since that home win over Berwick and I want the Birmingham riders to go out there and meet the challenge head on.”

The visitors include former Brummies Chris Harris and Claus Vissing while Great Britain’s Speedway of Nations Gold medalist Tom Brennan is their club captain.

It’s FREE admission for all children aged 11 and under at Perry Barr in 2023 while Juniors aged 12-16 will be admitted for just £3.

Season Tickets are valid for the fixture as are Advanced Five tickets.

Tickets can be pre-booked in advance via:

https://www.trybooking.com/uk/events/landing/43598?eid=43598&

Supporters unable to attend can also stream the fixture via ‘Brummies TV’. It costs £11.99 per meeting and supporters can register now via: https://www.brummies.tv

CURTIS SPORT BIRMINGHAM BRUMMIES: Nick Morris, Stefan Nielsen, Troy Batchelor, Paul Starke, Justin Sedgmen, Sam Hagon, Alfie Bowtell.

GLASGOW: Chris Harris, Marcin Nowak, Tom Brennan, Claus Vissing, Benjamin Basso, Lee Complin, Ace Pijper.

I actually think we'll struggle. Top 4 will need to all get close to double figures as don't see many points from the bottom end. Still at least there's the odd pass at Birmingham so shouldn't be as bad as last Wednesday :D. And even if it is.... Least we'll get the bonus lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I actually think we'll struggle. Top 4 will need to all get close to double figures as don't see many points from the bottom end. Still at least there's the odd pass at Birmingham so shouldn't be as bad as last Wednesday :D. And even if it is.... Least we'll get the bonus lol

Think it'll be a close meeting, hopefully the weather stays good.

It should be a little easier at Perry Barr without the holes ,rough patches of Wimborne Road but, it's not going to be easy to win.

I'm not sure why fans & team managers make such noise about a reserve being able to get 7 rides a meeting? Logically if Bowtell gets 7 rides it means the second strings are off form, so it could be a struggle.

However Bowtell getting 5 rides & Hagon getting 3 is better than the earlier pairing of Pearson & Thompson getting 8 rides between them imo. For sure Bowtell is a useful reserve to have if using r/r or to cover injuries on the night.

Edited by szkocjasid

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm not sure why fans & team managers make such noise about a reserve being able to get 7 rides a meeting? Logically if Bowtell gets 7 rides it means the second strings are off form, so it could be a struggle.

However Bowtell getting 5 rides & Hagon getting 3 is better than the earlier pairing of Pearson & Thompson getting 8 rides between them imo. For sure Bowtell is a useful reserve to have if using r/r or to cover injuries on the night.

I agree on the 7 rides part, but I'm guessing

" we've got Alfie at reserve now he can take One extra ride!! From our #7" 

Doesn't have the same Wow factor. 

Along with "strengthening our heat 8 position by putting hagon up against their 1 and 2 and giving alfie another go at Ace"

Doesn't sound too great either. But we'll see if that all comes to fruition tonight.

Weather looking good! (odd shower around lunchtime....)

Close call this one.....

Could the meeting of the season so far !

2 hours ago, StephenMiller said:

Let's see how Vissing does after his wretched performance for the Brummies last season..

Well done to Brummies for agreeing to the fixture during the Danish 'break'!!;)

• Haha 1

I'm a tigers fan & sadly this will be a defeat Birmingham have strengthened well glasgow management take note ..we are a 4 man team away from home marcin will struggle at Perry bar & complin is just not a championship rider he's very poor ndl is his level at best young ace is improving a bit & has got a bright future but at mo it's tough so will only get a few points we can't carry 3 riders especially away from home ...so I have brummie winning this if glasgow management are serious about winning title the Lee & marcin position in team need to be looked at 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cabbageman said:

I'm a tigers fan & sadly this will be a defeat Birmingham have strengthened well glasgow management take note ..we are a 4 man team away from home marcin will struggle at Perry bar & complin is just not a championship rider he's very poor ndl is his level at best young ace is improving a bit & has got a bright future but at mo it's tough so will only get a few points we can't carry 3 riders especially away from home ...so I have brummie winning this if glasgow management are serious about winning title the Lee & marcin position in team need to be looked at 

There absolutely no point in a double change, our current averages are 43.09 if we drop more than one rider we need to go back to 40 so you'd be replacing 9.94 with riders averaging 6.83. We could make one like for like change redeclare and then a second as I think we did in 2021 but I don't see who'd be better. Sam Jensen would for for Marcin but was he any more consistent? The Tate Aussie average I've no idea if he's a 4 now or not but I'd imagine if he wanted Britain he would be here by now.

As for tonight, young ace was very good at PB in the u21 final last year aged 15 beat a host of far more established riders. Fingers crossed he can have the better of hagon and maybe the returning neilsen. But I'm with you, I don't think we'll win tonight