British Speedway Forum
comet49

Under 21 Final, Glasgow, 16/07/23 2pm

Just a quick observation/ query regarding Ace Pijper(and I presume Dad knows best). Was/is Ace the only rider on a GTR engine? If so is this helping or hindering Ace? Obviously the answer is it is not hindering him as he is doing well for a first season, but would a GM make his improvement better. Also how can Ace beat several heat leaders and riders above if the GTR is not as good as the GM. I know I’m sort of answering my own little queries by going round in circles. Has anyone got any observations on this, and we’re the BSPA/L right about the GTR engine after all. Just wondering 

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Yeah, no, for sure...

It's the final set at Wimbledon, Alcarez and Djokovic have been locked in a titanic battle, the crowd are expectant to see who the champion will be, the umpire calls "new balls please"... everybody clears the court and a load of kids come pouring in, nobody has any new balls ready, somebody will have to go off to Sports Direct to get some, I hope they're open, umpire puts a "back in 15 mins" sign on his chair and disappears

It's the FA Cup final Man City & United in front of a full house at Wembley, it's one goal a piece, surely the next goal wins it, 10 minutes to go, the ball develops a puncture... everybody off, where's the puncture repair kit? There's 83,000 fans out there! What shall we do? Ah... send some kids out onto the pitch to throw a load of bean bags about. But there's a ball there we could use... NO! it's not got the right stamp on it

smh

You’re just fishing for another argument. You clearly have ‘ issues’, patience being one of them. 

Just looking at photographs of the rider in the rostrum can't help but notice how cheap and plastic the three trophies are.

Surely a proper silver cup or silver and wooden shield awarded annually would be more appropriate along with a replica for the winner?

Was there not a 'real' trophy back in the days when it was called the British Junior Championship?

I seem to recall Barry Thomas holding a nice trophy when he won the title.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Just looking at photographs of the rider in the rostrum can't help but notice how cheap and plastic the three trophies are.

Surely a proper silver cup or silver and wooden shield awarded annually would be more appropriate along with a replica for the winner?

Was there not a 'real' trophy back in the days when it was called the British Junior Championship?

Sad but true.Think it just represents the financial state the sport is in these days in UK.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cinderfella said:

From what I've seen in speedway and other sports young men are not bothered about trophies.  They couldn't careless and just give them to mom to look after.

14 minutes ago, Petecc said:

From what I've seen in speedway and other sports young men are not bothered about trophies.  They couldn't careless and just give them to mom to look after.

That maybe in fact go to any stockcar meeting and unless it is a major title or championship the winning drivers usually give their trophies to kids in the crowd.

However I will argue that with major titles a large annual trophy should be given with previous winners' names on it as a course of record.

I remember one young rider on winning The Jack Young Memorial Trophy presented to to the winner of The Scottish Open Championship being delighted that his name was going alongside the likes of Ivan Mauger's.

13 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

You’re just fishing for another argument. You clearly have ‘ issues’, patience being one of them. 

Yeah, no, for sure...

Your "ten minutes" was actually 22 minutes at Glasgow and 18 minutes for the Pairs at Leicester, what a build up to a semi and a final, watching a tractor go round a track.

It's partly why I stopped going to the CLRC, that and the crap racing at Sheffield. Fortunately the racing at Glasgow was pretty decent but a 20 minute delay in running the semi and finals at these events is just unacceptable. I was at the Pairs in person and the 18 minute delay seemed like an eternity at the end of the night so goodness knows how 22 minutes seemed!

Edited by iainb

20 hours ago, Biffa said:

Just a quick observation/ query regarding Ace Pijper(and I presume Dad knows best). Was/is Ace the only rider on a GTR engine? If so is this helping or hindering Ace? Obviously the answer is it is not hindering him as he is doing well for a first season, but would a GM make his improvement better. Also how can Ace beat several heat leaders and riders above if the GTR is not as good as the GM. I know I’m sort of answering my own little queries by going round in circles. Has anyone got any observations on this, and we’re the BSPA/L right about the GTR engine after all. Just wondering 

Freddie Lindgren was (don't  know if he still is) using a GTR as was one of the Thompson twins so they must be capable. But as you say Theo will have his finger on the pulse I'm sure.

3 hours ago, cinderfella said:

That maybe in fact go to any stockcar meeting and unless it is a major title or championship the winning drivers usually give their trophies to kids in the crowd.

However I will argue that with major titles a large annual trophy should be given with previous winners' names on it as a course of record.

I remember one young rider on winning The Jack Young Memorial Trophy presented to to the winner of The Scottish Open Championship being delighted that his name was going alongside the likes of Ivan Mauger's.

Would agree a National or Major Event should have decent Trophy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Yeah, no, for sure...

Your "ten minutes" was actually 22 minutes at Glasgow and 18 minutes for the Pairs at Leicester, what a build up to a semi and a final, watching a tractor go round a track.

It's partly why I stopped going to the CLRC, that and the crap racing at Sheffield. Fortunately the racing at Glasgow was pretty decent but a 20 minute delay in running the semi and finals at these events is just unacceptable. I was at the Pairs in person and the 18 minute delay seemed like an eternity at the end of the night so goodness knows how 22 minutes seemed!

Four minutes longer

• Haha 1