British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Odds On

Just Stop Oil

I've thought about this too and if i were the BSPL I'd encourage it, for a live Eurosport meeting.

The level of publicity it would attract in the press and mainstream tv would be like nothing ever seen before for the sport

And as the saying goes there's no such thing as bad publicity :unsure:

On 7/28/2023 at 2:39 PM, martinmauger said:

This is true, also the 'enviromental mats' placed under each bike in the pits....

That's what they used to be for. I watched 1 rider move his mat after he had broken his engine to avoid getting oil onto it because it has sponsors name on it and did want to get it dirty.

18 hours ago, Petecc said:

That's what they used to be for. I watched 1 rider move his mat after he had broken his engine to avoid getting oil onto it because it has sponsors name on it and did not want to get it dirty.

Well, they're expensive ... I bought a length of carpet from a supermarket for £5!

On 7/28/2023 at 2:39 PM, martinmauger said:

This is true, also the 'enviromental mats' placed under each bike in the pits....

I can see the point of the mats but not the oil catchers.

19 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Oil from the bikes used to help the shale "bind" thereby benefitting the surface of the track.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tyretrax said:

That was a long time ago, when engines had total loss oil systems. Modern GMs retain the oil in the sump.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Oil from the bikes used to help the shale "bind" thereby benefitting the surface of the track.

I know that, I've maintained a track, I don't see a problem in a caster bean based oil going onto the track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

I know that, I've maintained a track, I don't see a problem in a caster bean based oil going onto the track.

When I had a try out at one of Olle Nygren's Training Schools I recall that we were given a pre-ride discussion as regards the bikes (2 valve Jawa) and tracks.

Edited by steve roberts

On 8/1/2023 at 9:15 AM, *JJ said:

That was a long time ago, when engines had total loss oil systems. Modern GMs retain the oil in the sump.

I thought the oil is recirculated these days? :unsure:

Just now, Ray Stadia said:

I thought the oil is recirculated these days? :unsure:

No: GMs depend on splash lubrication (the big end running in the sump). Top professionals change the oil every couple of races, and you dump the oil anyway after each meeting.

• Like 1