British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gasser90

Pboro vs kings Lynn

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Why especially for a TV meeting? Surely the same criteria should apply whether it's on TV or not

Of course not. For a non-broadcast meeting a Promoter might delay a decision (perhaps overnight) to see if the weather and conditions improve. A TV meeting incurs a great deal of cost for the broadcaster, much of which can be mitigated with an early postponement.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, NeilWatson said:

Of course not. For a non-broadcast meeting a Promoter might delay a decision (perhaps overnight) to see if the weather and conditions improve. A TV meeting incurs a great deal of cost for the broadcaster, much of which can be mitigated with an early postponement.

And of course the same man will be paying 14 riders had the meeting gone ahead tonight and took a big financial hit on the attendance- so makes perfect common sense financially to call it off .

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Haza said:

And of course the same man will be paying 14 riders had the meeting gone ahead tonight and took a big financial hit on the attendance- so makes perfect common sense financially to call it off .

There's going to come a point in time though when he is going to have to pay it.

Financially I would say it makes more sense to pay from Peterborough's gate receipts opposed to Lynn's as they seem to achieve higher attendances. 

For instance, on Thursday. I cannot see that being a big turnout (unless I'm proven wrong) but he's going to have to stump up for it then, weather permitting of course. 

56 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

52 minutes ago, Haza said:

Undoubtedly the correct decision... there should not be special treatment for TV matches though

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

There's going to come a point in time though when he is going to have to pay it.

Financially I would say it makes more sense to pay from Peterborough's gate receipts opposed to Lynn's as they seem to achieve higher attendances. 

For instance, on Thursday. I cannot see that being a big turnout (unless I'm proven wrong) but he's going to have to stump up for it then, weather permitting of course. 

Absolutely you are correct- but least when it’s re arranged it not be on tv I wouldn’t have thought so attendance should be higher- also a double whammy two meetings in 3days to pay riders for - so can see why it’s been called off 

12 minutes ago, Haza said:

Absolutely you are correct- but least when it’s re arranged it not be on tv I wouldn’t have thought so attendance should be higher- also a double whammy two meetings in 3days to pay riders for - so can see why it’s been called off 

I think the decision to call it off might have been a bit hasty though. Don't know what the weatger is like in Peterborough, but in Lynn it hasn't rained since around 12 and is dry, sunny and breezy now, perfect weather to dry out a track.

I remember last year in August I went to a Pboro v Lynn meeting and it absolutely hammered it down all day. The start was delayed until around 8.30 as they were working on the track, turned out to be a good meeting in the end...

3 minutes ago, StarBoy said:

I think the decision to call it off might have been a bit hasty though. Don't know what the weatger is like in Peterborough, but in Lynn it hasn't rained since around 12 and is dry, sunny and breezy now, perfect weather to dry out a track.

I remember last year in August I went to a Pboro v Lynn meeting and it absolutely hammered it down all day. The start was delayed until around 8.30 as they were working on the track, turned out to be a good meeting in the end...

I’m 400 metres from the track it has rained continuously from 11pm Sunday until about midday today. It chucked it down again at 4pm for over an hour. Given it rained all day on Saturday as well, I would say the correct decision was made.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

I’m 400 metres from the track it has rained continuously from 11pm Sunday until about midday today. It chucked it down again at 4pm for over an hour. Given it rained all day on Saturday as well, I would say the correct decision was made.

Well that's cleared that up.. Not forgetting the saturated grass parking.

Edited by Bald Bloke

31 minutes ago, Mick Bratley said:

Fair enough. As I said, can only base it on weather I've experienced here in Lynn. Thank you for clearing it up.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Undoubtedly the correct decision... there should not be special treatment for TV matches though

Letting a broadcaster waste a large sum of money preparing for a meeting that is unlikely to go ahead doesn’t help any contract renewal discussions. 

32 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Letting a broadcaster waste a large sum of money preparing for a meeting that is unlikely to go ahead doesn’t help any contract renewal discussions. 

And people wonder why fans have dwindled away... what about the contract with the fans?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iainb said:

And people wonder why fans have dwindled away... what about the contract with the fans?

It's a tricky one when there's TV involved. Do you want them to spend thousands, for nothing and think ferk

this, with next season in mind, or  air on the side of caution. Which in this case was right.

Buster was justified in his decision for whatever reason. It turned out  that it was a wash out.. 

A lot of clubs are that much on the bread line, they can't afford to gamble..

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

Don't worry about the tv operation, they pay next to nothing now as the latest contract was negotiated in absolute desperation by the BSPL. This is why no one wants to run on a tv night as there is no money to compensate for a small crowd which used to be the case with the old Sky deals. All pretty obvious if you take a step back and look at why someone like buster does all he can not to run on a Monday night and on tv.

10 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

It's a tricky one when there's TV involved. Do you want them to spend thousands, for nothing and think ferk

this, with next season in mind, or  air on the side of caution. Which in this case was right.

Buster was justified in his decision for whatever reason. It turned out  that it was a wash out.. 

A lot of clubs are that much on the bread line, they can't afford to gamble..

I don't want anybody to spend any money unnecessarily... but it's exactly this kind of thinking that has helped to get the sport into state it's in, you know when you go to a TV meeting that the whole thing revolves around them with zero thought for the paying fan, which is why the crowds have been mostly embarrassing when the TV trucks are in town.

Like I've said, on this occasion I don't doubt that the damage had been done to the track after days of heavy rain, it was just the comments from a former "promoter" that confirmed what many of us had already thought for years

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:33 PM, NeilWatson said:

On 7/24/2023 at 7:06 PM, iainb said:

But he said that is unlikely to go ahead, you don't want fans travelling & turning up in those situations either