British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

First Rider To Carry A Sponsor's Name On Their Leathers?

Another teaser and although some riders had the leather manufacturer's logo emblazoned on their leathers not sure if they were necessarily sponsored by same? I'm sure that Ivan Mauger must have been one of the first? I recall some of his early leathers displaying "valvoline" and he did display "TT Leathers" who sponsored him and "Jawa" as did Briggo. Both Garry Middleton and Eric Boocock wore Lewis Leathers who sponsored them and they also carried the logo on their leathers. Of couse much later there was Ray Wilson with his famous "Bostik" leathers but by the middle seventies many riders carried sponsored brands on their leathers.

Again, I don't think we need to look any further than Ivan or Briggo. I'll have to do some research...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Briggo definitely had JAWA on his leathers in 1969, and Ivan was still mostly in black then, although he also had JAWA on his that year also.

Edited by chunky

I guess if one looks outside the UK the Americans in the late sixties may well have worn leathers with sponsors?

Just now, steve roberts said:

I guess if one looks outside the UK the Americans in the late sixties may well have worn leathers with sponsors?

While the leathers tended to be coloured, I really don't think there was that much in the way of sponsors' names. I will look into the Basts, and people like that.

Just now, chunky said:

While the leathers tended to be coloured, I really don't think there was that much in the way of sponsors' names. I will look into the Basts, and people like that.

I was thinking of the Bast Brothers in particular but you may well be right.

9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was thinking of the Bast Brothers in particular but you may well be right.

While there was speedway here in the 60's, it wasn't really organized, so I don't know if there was much in the way of decent sponsorship. The first official US National Championship (since 1948) was won by Steve Bast in 1969 (although some sources state that Rick Woods was 1968 National Champion).

The problem is that while there are photos available online, it is actually difficult to pinpoint the years in US speedway.

Edited by chunky

2 hours ago, chunky said:

While there was speedway here in the 60's, it wasn't really organized, so I don't know if there was much in the way of decent sponsorship. The first official US National Championship (since 1948) was won by Steve Bast in 1969 (although some sources state that Rick Woods was 1968 National Champion).

The problem is that while there are photos available online, it is actually difficult to pinpoint the years in US speedway.

Thanks for that. I never actually got to see Rick Woods ride during his very short spell at Newport in 1973 but I did see his brother (?) Gene.

50 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Thanks for that. I never actually got to see Rick Woods ride during his very short spell at Newport in 1973 but I did see his brother (?) Gene.

Yep, Gene was his bruv. Had a short spell at Plough Lane, but I never got to see him.

27 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yep, Gene was his bruv. Had a short spell at Plough Lane, but I never got to see him.

Saw him ride for Birmingham if I remember before moving to the "Dons."

Just read in a book about Sheffield Tigers, that the first ever sponsored rider was Arnold Haley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RS50 said:

Just read in a book about Sheffield Tigers, that the first ever sponsored rider was Arnold Haley.

I'd be interested to know who sponsored Arnie?

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'd be interested to know who sponsored Arnie?

It says he had the backing of top trials rider Peter Fletcher who owned a motorcycle business in Leeds.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RS50 said:

It says he had the backing of top trials rider Peter Fletcher who owned a motorcycle business in Leeds.

Remember when Arnie had a short spell riding for the "Cheetahs" towards the very back end of his career. A real character by all accounts.

30 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Remember when Arnie had a short spell riding for the "Cheetahs" towards the very back end of his career. A real character by all accounts.

SHORT??? It consisted of one meeting, two rides, and a point. At Newcastle on 18th May, 1981.