British Speedway Forum
frigbo

Dennis Gavros RIP

11 hours ago, Derrickn said:

When Halifax 're-opened in1965,Long Eaton were the first visitors,and on a rainy night in front of 11.000 fans ran out victors by 41-37.Rim must have been riding that night,but it was a young Ray Wilson who caught the eye.I still remember that night,if only we could turn the speedway clock back to those great days.

....funny if I had written this the trawling "troll" would be on my case! :D

• Like 1

Sad news. Dennis had a Hull connection riding for the Vikings in 1972 & 1973, though he didn't move up into the British League with Hull in 1974, had a few matches for Sunderland, retired from riding then went on to be the team manger at Halifax.  RIP Dennis....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Derrickn said:

When Halifax 're-opened in1965,Long Eaton were the first visitors,and on a rainy night in front of 11.000 fans ran out victors by 41-37.Rim must have been riding that night,but it was a young Ray Wilson who caught the eye.I still remember that night,if only we could turn the speedway clock back to those great days.

When the 65 season started I foloowed avidly every match report in the Star. I recall Long Eaton starting off the season very well e.g. as you say beating Halifax at Halifax, I think they had another upset away win early on (Edinburgh perhaps?) and at that point looked like contenders-then they had a truly dreadful run of injuries- Wilson, also maybe Cresp and finished at the bottom of the league (I think). As we all say -great days  and 1965 was a superb season- I even used to hitch hike to get to away tracks-not sure  you can do that safely nowadays -or am I just speaking from my more timid  old (Hold on -mature) age!!!

• Like 4

DM Wielkiej Brytanii - Liga (British Team Championship - League)

Rok (Yr): 1972   Klub (Club): Halifax Dukes  Liga (Lge): British League Division One  Pozycja (Pos): 12  Średnia (Avg): 4,000

Rok (Yr): 1972   Klub (Club): Hull Vikings  Liga (Lge): British League Division Two  Pozycja (Pos): 8  Średnia (Avg): 5,714

Rok (Yr): 1973   Klub (Club): Halifax Dukes  Liga (Lge): British League Division One  Pozycja (Pos): 9  Średnia (Avg): 4,000

Rok (Yr): 1973   Klub (Club): Hull Vikings  Liga (Lge): British League Division Two  Pozycja (Pos): 12  Średnia (Avg): 5,554

Rok (Yr): 1974   Klub (Club): Wolverhampton Wolves  Liga (Lge): British League Division One  Pozycja (Pos): 11  Średnia (Avg): 1,333

Rok (Yr): 1974   Klub (Club): Sunderland Stars  Liga (Lge): British League Division Two  Pozycja (Pos): 17  Średnia (Avg): 5,000