British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington Comets v Belle Vue Colts 26/08/23 3pm NDL

As a neutral I enjoyed the meeting . It's a cracking wide track , would love to see the sports big stars on it . As for today , too many last places for the home side , can't win meetings like that . Funniest part was Jack Smith waving his arms about after Connor Bailey moved him over then kicking the fence on his way back to the pits . Comedy gold . 

• Like 1

Turned into a lovely afternoon down at Northside. It was great to welcome the Belle Vue Colts their fans and the neutrals that made the effort to support us today thank you.

Hope the Belle Vue fan that took ill just before start time is okay.

Connor Bailey showed today what an accomplished determined racer he his rapidly developing into. It was great to see him get his max and regain the track record into the bargain. He was well supported by Luke Harrison another young rider who is coming along very nicely. Unfortunately the absence of Ace proved too big a hurdle to overcome a Belle Vue side that with the exception of jack Shimelt were solid throughout.

Not quite sure why Comets didn't go with R/R at No 2 again today. Like has been stated already I found myself feeling for Andrew , Steve and all the team at Worky Speedway with regard to the performances of the Skipper and Harry M  not just today but throughout the season. Surely the guys know that the consistently poor form they have shown for whatever reason  has an impact on attendances and ultimately the promotion who have worked tirelessly to bring the sport back to Workington at unknown personal cost. I would like to think they have apologised for their showing over the two meetings where they scored 7 points between them from 18 rides.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Not quite sure why Comets didn't go with R/R at No 2 again today.

Not the first, and if we use R/R again certainly won’t be the last. All it comes down is inexperienced/poor team management. Anyone with a bit of speedway knowledge knows this.

I like a win as much as the next person but I think we need to keep supporting all the lads , yes some of them are going through a bad patch and not riding regularly , this is after all the National League.

I,m sure I’ll get some negative comments for my views but hey it’s all about opinions.

Great to see such a big crowd from all over the country  and Scotland .

Hope the Belle vue fan that fell ill is ok.

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Turned into a lovely afternoon down at Northside. It was great to welcome the Belle Vue Colts their fans and the neutrals that made the effort to support us today thank you.

Hope the Belle Vue fan that took ill just before start time is okay.

Connor Bailey showed today what an accomplished determined racer he his rapidly developing into. It was great to see him get his max and regain the track record into the bargain. He was well supported by Luke Harrison another young rider who is coming along very nicely. Unfortunately the absence of Ace proved too big a hurdle to overcome a Belle Vue side that with the exception of jack Shimelt were solid throughout.

Not quite sure why Comets didn't go with R/R at No 2 again today. Like has been stated already I found myself feeling for Andrew , Steve and all the team at Worky Speedway with regard to the performances of the Skipper and Harry M  not just today but throughout the season. Surely the guys know that the consistently poor form they have shown for whatever reason  has an impact on attendances and ultimately the promotion who have worked tirelessly to bring the sport back to Workington at unknown personal cost. I would like to think they have apologised for their showing over the two meetings where they scored 7 points between them from 18 rides.

well done to Bellvue for giving Shmelt an opportunity not many teams done that lately

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CTD26 said:

Disappointing result today but as I expected tbh. Harry just looks like he cannot be bothered and Crang, well deary me. You’re supposed to be the captain and inspire this young side giving up cause you’re last is just mind boggling. I get it’s the first season but surely we need to be setting up to compete at the sharp end of the league. Some serious thinking to take place over the winter and not just the team either.

It's just the start of the new workington comets.let the young lads get experience coz thats what it's about.Harry and luke should have been let go months ago.but the comets promotion are giving the team they put together a chance to improve.not that I think it will because the two mentioned are not going to get many points and that's where we are losing.theres only a few meetings left.just let the team get on with the season.but next season them two will not be riding for the comets.championship speedway needs introduced next season.then we will see a good team home and away all being well. This season is just a taster decent crowds that will be even bigger if we go into the championship.its a ten year plan at northside so just bare that in mind.yes we don't want to lose but it's our first season back.its been a great start getting speedway back to workington so just get behind the young team.we have speedway for the future get behind the promotion and the riders they need your support

• Like 2

6 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Hate to be right but those 2 have let down andrew and steve big style,stopped looking at updates after ht 10 never done that before,the dream return is turning into a nightmare.

It's not a nightmare Geoff?it's fantastic to have our speedway back.we have a lot of young lads in the team.its a tough league some cracking riders in every team.its not easy especially first season to get everything right.but I'm sure they will.well i know they will.we have speedway we need our speedway so keep supporting the comets as I know you do.its a learning curve for all our riders.but they will get better. But Craig and Harry won't be riding for us next season.thats where we have lost our matches with them 2 being very poor.but we will be back

3 hours ago, Binman said:

well done to Bellvue for giving Shmelt an opportunity not many teams done that lately

Oxford have with Garrard, they could have continued using r/r for Dugard.

4 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

I found myself feeling for Andrew, Steve and all the team at Worky Speedway with regard to the performances of the Skipper and Harry M  not just today but throughout the season. Surely the guys know that the consistently poor form they have shown for whatever reason  has an impact on attendances and ultimately the promotion who have worked tirelessly to bring the sport back to Workington at unknown personal cost. I would like to think they have apologised for their showing over the two meetings where they scored 7 points between them from 18 rides.

Can't say I feel sorry for the management, they could have made changes, but stuck with them. While that's commendable giving riders the opportunity to ride themselves back into form, it also means the management must take the blame for not strengthening up when they had the chance.

They chose loyalty / development over success, but for that reason can't feel sorry for them, because it was thier choice.

For the same reason if Oxford dropping Dugard costs them the league title (could have meant Scott & Clouting at reserve) I'll commend them for choosing to run with a 7 man team, but wouldn't call them unlucky if it didn't work out.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1

Nobody minds watching riders who have having a poor run coming in last if it looks like they are trying their hardest for four full laps. Trailing round at the back looking disinterested or pulling up at the back on lap three is not what people pay to watch. Even when they are at the back they should be pushing as hard as possible to try and make the man in front make a mistake. 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, cometbaz said:

Nobody minds watching riders who have having a poor run coming in last if it looks like they are trying their hardest for four full laps. Trailing round at the back looking disinterested or pulling up at the back on lap three is not what people pay to watch. Even when they are at the back they should be pushing as hard as possible to try and make the man in front make a mistake. 

Couldn’t agree more. It makes it even worse when you’re captain is the one doing it! If he’s not 100% then he shouldn’t be riding. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Can't say I feel sorry for the management, they could have made changes, but stuck with them. While that's commendable giving riders the opportunity to ride themselves back into form, it also means the management must take the blame for not strengthening up when they had the chance.

They chose loyalty / development over success, but for that reason can't feel sorry for them, because it was thier choice.

For the same reason if Oxford dropping Dugard costs them the league title (could have meant Scott & Clouting at reserve) I'll commend them for choosing to run with a 7 man team, but wouldn't call them unlucky if it didn't work out.

The promotion have chosen loyalty in sticking with certain riders, when I say I feel for them its in the context that this loyalty hasn't been reciprocated by improvements in attitude, determination, riding ability and more especially in Luke's case mechanical reliability.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 8:47 AM, SteelShoe said:

Northerly wind in Worky this morning, usually well sheltered when in this direction. Dry and partly cloudy at the minute.

There was a major storm over Haltwhistle about 11.00am coming over from Whitley Bay. Apart from a few spots during the meeting, everything well off well except the result but an excellent meeting as usual.

• Like 2