British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Wartime Decorations

Not sure we've had this before, but since I learned about Newcastle's George Pepper, it is something that has intrigued me.

I know there were a lot of riders who saw action during WWII, but how many were decorated for their deeds? I know of at least three.

The aforementioned George Pepper became an RAF pilot, and received the Distinguished Flying Cross and Bar of shooting down six enemy aircraft. Sadly, he wasn't to survive the conflict, and perished in a flying accident in 1942.

Hackney's Morian Hansen was too old to be accepted as an RAF pilot, and became a gunner in Wellington bombers. For his actions, he received both the Distinguished Flying Cross and George Medal for bravery (as a Dane, he was not eligible for the George Cross).

1936 World Champion Lionel Van Praag also received the George Medal. As a second pilot in a Royal Australian Air Force DC-2 that was shot down, he rescued two colleagues, and got them safely to shore.

So, anyone else that we know of? Norbold?

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Not sure we've had this before, but since I learned about Newcastle's George Pepper, it is something that has intrigued me.

I know there were a lot of riders who saw action during WWII, but how many were decorated for their deeds? I know of at least three.

The aforementioned George Pepper became an RAF pilot, and received the Distinguished Flying Cross and Bar of shooting down six enemy aircraft. Sadly, he wasn't to survive the conflict, and perished in a flying accident in 1942.

Hackney's Morian Hansen was too old to be accepted as an RAF pilot, and became a gunner in Wellington bombers. For his actions, he received both the Distinguished Flying Cross and George Medal for bravery (as a Dane, he was not eligible for the George Cross).

1936 World Champion Lionel Van Praag also received the George Medal. As a second pilot in a Royal Australian Air Force DC-2 that was shot down, he rescued two colleagues, and got them safely to shore.

So, anyone else that we know of? Norbold?

No, I didn't get a Wartime decoration. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

No, I didn't get a Wartime decoration. :D

You know, I sort of expected that response from you! :t:

Horace Burke, who rode speedway under the name of Paddy Mills, served with the RAF and was awarded the British Empire Medal.  Although never a rider, former Bristol and Wimbledon promoter (as well as Shelbourne 'technical adviser'/clerk of the course) Ronnie Greene was awarded the MBE for his exploits as an Auxiliary Fire Service District Officer during the London Blitz.

Edited by BL65

15 hours ago, BL65 said:

Horace Burke, who rode speedway under the name of Paddy Mills, served with the RAF and was awarded the British Empire Medal.  Although never a rider, former Bristol and Wimbledon promoter (as well as Shelbourne 'technical adviser'/clerk of the course) Ronnie Greene was awarded the MBE for his exploits as an Auxiliary Fire Service District Officer during the London Blitz.

Ah, that's interesting! That's the thing, so many riders rode under assumed names back in the day, and I never knew that Paddy Mills wasn't his real name. Thanks for that!

Can't imagine a speedway rider called "Horace Burke"...

Think we have touched on most of this before

Personally although i don't think he was decorated, we shouldn't forget Clem Beckett who fought and gave his life in the Spanish Civil War defending his comrades in the International Brigade

And Ronnie's AFS riders

https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/from-left-to-right-famous-speedway-riders-stan-nachrichtenfoto/1053503088?adppopup=true

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Think we have touched on most of this before

Personally although i don't think he was decorated, we shouldn't forget Clem Beckett who fought and gave his life in the Spanish Civil War defending his comrades in the International Brigade

And Ronnie's AFS riders

https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/from-left-to-right-famous-speedway-riders-stan-nachrichtenfoto/1053503088?adppopup=true

Oh yeah, we all know about Clem, one of the most famous involved in a war...