British Speedway Forum
Cast1rn

Assessed Averages

1 minute ago, Yearbyred said:

Glasgow fans getting very defensive about it as if I’m saying Glasgow are at fault. I’m not, it’s the rule that’s at fault.

Definitely not Glasgow's fault.

They have found the loophole and taken advantage.

Quite a surprise really.

Loophole: an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.

It is a loophole. Fair play to Glasgow for exploiting it. It’s legal, but it is a loophole. 

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

I don't even think that is the issue. That applies to all riders.

The issue is that a rider is assessed the same in both leagues when everyone knows they should be assessed with a higher average in the lower league.

Everyone except the promoters who voted for it anyway!

I would be interested to hear from a promoter who voted for it and their reasoning behind it. I could do with a laugh.

I’d assume the promoters in both leagues agreed that assessed riders should come in on a five without checking with the other league to see where they stood on the matter. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Loophole: an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.

It is a loophole. Fair play to Glasgow for exploiting it. It’s legal, but it is a loophole. 

I’d assume the promoters in both leagues agreed that assessed riders should come in on a five without checking with the other league to see where they stood on the matter. 

I wouldn't call it a loophole. Surely a loophole is a way of getting round a rule or finding a way of evading it. So it's not really that. The rule is the rule and they have used it as it is.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I wouldn't call it a loophole. Surely a loophole is a way of getting round a rule or finding a way of evading it. So it's not really that. The rule is the rule and they have used it as it is.

I’d say it’s an ambiguity, it’s certainly an inadequacy, therefore a loophole. By the dictionary definition at least. 

Either way, done is done, and it’s given us all something to debate on here… I agree. Glasgow have done nothing wrong. The opportunity for them to do that shouldn’t have been there in the first place though. 

Edited by Ben91
  • Like 2

I know the title is for assessed averages. But can we look at the ridiculousness that is the average system. 

"Is a single number taken as a representative of a list of numbers"

But how can we have riders averages calculated when we miss up to over 50% of their competitive matches?

• Like 4

All I know is, that if Poole had done it, it would have been called cheating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, daz9100 said:

No it wouldn’t 

2 hours ago, daz9100 said:

Glasgow are the new Poole these days. 

• Haha 2

The loophole that needs to be closed, ( I thought it already was ) is if an assessed rider starts riding in one league then immediately his average for the other league is multiplied or divided as per the current conversion rate.

start in prem on a 5 then champs is x 1.5

start in champs on a 5 then prem is x 1.5.

I thought this was the rule now so same average cannot be used in other league after 1 meeting.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

The loophole that needs to be closed, ( I thought it already was ) is if an assessed rider starts riding in one league then immediately his average for the other league is multiplied or divided as per the current conversion rate.

I thought this was the rule now so same average cannot be used in other league after 1 meeting.

Why would your prem average be 1.5x your champ average

17 hours ago, bringbackHalifax said:

But what again is madness is going by that a rider like Kenyan Rew could've come over, had half a dozen rides in the premier on a 4, completely been out of his depth and would be stuck now on a 6 point average in the championship if the 1.5 kicked in straight away  

Luckily Kenyan has performed well all season.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 3:54 PM, Cast1rn said:

But what again is madness is going by that a rider like Kenyan Rew could've come over, had half a dozen rides in the premier on a 4, completely been out of his depth and would be stuck now on a 6 point average in the championship if the 1.5 kicked in straight away  

Luckily Kenyan has performed well all season.

This is where the simple answer is that assessed averages should be different for each league in the first place.